The my choice is the Only choice for Daily carry.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I was taught to use my words to resolve conflicts, so I carry a dictionary.

You smack someone in the melon with Webster's Unabridged, and they're going down.

If that doesn't work then you open, reach in, and retrieve from the cut out section you're favorite hand gun and drop the dictionary!

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I agree with most. Carry something that's comfortable, AND that you can shoot well. If you can shoot most handguns well, then you can likely shoot them all well enough to be effective at 7 yds or less.

As far as 1911 and .45 goes, the 1911 is STILL the best design ever produced. As material science and manufacturing techniques have advanced, other designs have come along that are more practical foe EDC. After wearing a 1911 for 8 to 16 hrs, it's a relief to take it off. With a shield/P365/ ect, you hardly notice a difference at the end of the day when you take it off.

I won't argue the effectiveness of a 9mm vs a 45. Both will do the job. However, I have a very dear friend who spent time in south east Asia doing some rather undesirable work. His only comment on the caliber debate was that he never had someone get back up after being hit with a .45.

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Is it just me or is there a proliferation of well if you don’t carry what I do your wrong and you going to die if you only carry 8 rounds! I mean seriously what does it matter what some YouTube clown thinks is the only choice.

Really makes me wonder who is watching these idiots.
    To me it boils down to what meets your needs and budget I prefer a CZ bd 75 for accuracy and dependability. And most of sll comfort!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Choices in carry are easier if you know the actual scenario that you will be fighting in. The talking heads covering the Rittenhouse trial claim that Discovery evidence shows the weapon of choice that night was a S&W AR15 equipped with an RDS and a loaded plastic 30 rd magazine. We will have to wait until Mas writes this up for Handgunner unless some of you are privy to the evidence.

So to address the OP on differences of opinions on you tube grads there is no perfect carry choice until you compare the efficiencies of equipment and talent associated with the outcome of the fight. Then, a fight scenario will never duplicate itself again in ones lifetime more than likely making the process start over again. In other words, no one size fits all.

The AR in question may have been the correct choice protecting a perimeter of a car dealership but once in the crowd this piece and skill set become a burden. With only 8 rounds fired with one jam or misfire and a RDS that is useless on muzzle to target shots, The defendant came close to being killed, losing his gun or worse by the fact that for his skill set/choice of equipment he was unprepared for crowd combat.

The bottom line is of all the training, all the books, all the you tube gurus and all of the scenario based games out there, it comes down to skill set first followed by the right equipment. Having the best most efficient equipment to match whatever God Forbid fight you end up in may depend on good old fashion luck.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Choices in carry are easier if you know the actual scenario that you will be fighting in. The talking heads covering the Rittenhouse trial claim that Discovery evidence shows the weapon of choice that night was a S&W AR15 equipped with an RDS and a loaded plastic 30 rd magazine. We will have to wait until Mas writes this up for Handgunner unless some of you are privy to the evidence.

So to address the OP on differences of opinions on you tube grads there is no perfect carry choice until you compare the efficiencies of equipment and talent associated with the outcome of the fight. Then, a fight scenario will never duplicate itself again in ones lifetime more than likely making the process start over again. In other words, no one size fits all.

The AR in question may have been the correct choice protecting a perimeter of a car dealership but once in the crowd this piece and skill set become a burden. With only 8 rounds fired with one jam or misfire and a RDS that is useless on muzzle to target shots, The defendant came close to being killed, losing his gun or worse by the fact that for his skill set/choice of equipment he was unprepared for crowd combat.

The bottom line is of all the training, all the books, all the you tube gurus and all of the scenario based games out there, it comes down to skill set first followed by the right equipment. Having the best most efficient equipment to match whatever God Forbid fight you end up in may depend on good old fashion luck.
    So again, there is NO WAY to ever have the proper skills or weapon for a fight.

I am really discouraged.

And no I am not waiting for Man to weigh in on the whole episode.

Don

Last edited:

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Every time I have someone ask me "What should I get for self defense" my reply is always the same...."It depends"

There are a ton of things that should go into making the decision, and I fully believe that EVERYONE will have some different opinion. I also tell them almost immediately after that "If you ask 10 different people, you will get 11 different answers" when asking about self defense options.

Most of the people that say "If you don't carry this, your going to die" kind of people get ignored I think by most people. It immediately puts people off. I much prefer the "This is what I carry, and here is why..." answer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I never knock someone's choice of carry gun.

Now, how well they can shoot it, when they pull it out, is free game. LOL

I'm with you on that. I won't knock someone's choice but if they can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside then it might be time to consider a change...either more training or a gun that better suits them. It's usually both, but people like options.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    So again, there is NO WAY to ever have the proper skills or weapon for a fight.

I am really discouraged.

And no I am not waiting for Man to weigh in on the whole episode.

Don
    I certainly can understand feeling discouraged. Fact of the matter if more gun owners realized the tremendous responsibility with street carry they may be more inclined to pay their dues with mucho training and practice. The presentation starts with the very equipment you purchase clear thru to the decision to fire the first shot. Like it or not, many professionals have a threshold of skill set that determines if the gun owner should carry or not. There are many successes and many fails in carry. Quite frankly, training and lots of good practice can result in more success and less fails. While I know and trust the very fundamentals of shooting is the first line of defense, I also understand that one can not predict the actual scenario that may happen. Or one can keep his piece in a sock drawer and hope he and it works well when he needs it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Quick story. A friend's daughter recently decided she was interested in carrying and wanted to see what types of handguns might work for her and why. Rather than sending her off to the local gun store, he asked if a small group of us gun guys would be willing to bring a variety of pistols for her to check out, hold and shoot. We also came prepared to share our own carry journey and explain why we owned some of the carry guns we did and explain the pros and cons of each. Between five of us, there were more approximately 30 guns for her to check out.

I'd say this example is the exact opposite of the theme of this thread.

IMG_20211030_111314.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Oh My Goodness! 5 guys and 30 guns! You all must be those gun nuts that they talk about on the news!

Just kidding (they do talk about us on the news though) I think this was an excellent idea. Glad that it worked out.

I was just thinking back a few years (a few decades) when gun shops didn't have the "wall of choices" that some do these days, for a customer to rent or try out before they purchase.

It sure would have made things a lot easier to have hasd a group like you guys around back then. 'Course back then the Brady bunch would have been after you! :)

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Train...train some more...and then train even more. Legally carry...everywhere, all the time. Train even more. Repeat. See the pattern here? And notice that WHAT you carry is NOT necesarily part of this pattern. Not to sound ridiculously and overly redundant, but we all know that a .22 in your pocket is WAY more effective than a .44 at home in our sock drawer! Maybe not "tacti-cool", but defending life and liberty is well, all about life and liberty, not cool factor.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I've learned to stop trying to convince folks who aren't interested in learning.

You like your Taurus...that's great.

Ask me for my opinion? You'll get it along with some facts and experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom