• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've gotten 2" groups at 100 out of my 187-series before, and I can consistently group under 3.5" with it. I'm pretty certain that the limiting factor in my case is the shooter, not the gun. IMO better sights would help tighten that up even more. I wish somebody made Garand style sights for the Ranch Rifle. The Tech Sight options look kinda clunky.

Even with the stock sights, it's good enough for what it is. It's fun (and cheap!) to shoot, practical at it's intended range, and has a certain nostalgia to the design. Not to mention it's a looker...

View attachment 120891

The "cheap" argument went away when you could build 2 AR15s for the cost of the most basic model of mini-14.

It now exists solely as some weird rifle without a purpose. It's more expensive, heavier, less accurate, less reliable, less modular, and less standardized than an AR15.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How is Ian from Forgotten Weapons wrong? Also the Mini 14 and M-14 suck but that's just the opinion of someone born after the A-Team aired.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Probably just marketing strategy because it is obviously an upgunned M1 Carbine.

Look at the gas system. Op-rod. Even the bolt hold open. None have any similarity to the M14. But they are all similar to the M1 Carbine.

Even the intended range is similar. I am old enough to have owned at least one since 1975. The modern wisdom is maddening to listen to.

Anybody want to know the historical evolution of the .223/5.56? It is not quite what people say...

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter much.

Meh, the guy that designed the Mini-14, Jim Sullivan, said he copied the M-1/M-14, not the M-1 carbine. Ok, he stole an aspect of the M-1. Why not? Bunch of M-1s around and people were familiar with it. Ok, fine, happens all the time in the gun business.

Range? Bill Ruger told Jim Sullivan that he wanted a .223. James gave him one.

The Evolution of he 5.56? You mean how Stoner invented it and the 193 became the 855 and then branched into a bunch of other stuff? Yeah, we know.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    The "cheap" argument went away when you could build 2 AR15s for the cost of the most basic model of mini-14.

It now exists solely as some weird rifle without a purpose. It's more expensive, heavier, less accurate, less reliable, less modular, and less standardized than an AR15.

I can't argue with any of that. I picked up my mini for $500, so I got kinda lucky there. I don't know if I'd spend the $800-$1000 that they are bringing these days (I'd probably opt for a CMP Garand for that money). My original comment was referring not to the cost of the rifle, but to the fact that .223 is cheap to shoot...a lot cheaper than .30-06 or .308 out of an M1 or M1A.

I like and enjoy my Mini for what it is. It's an interesting gun with classic ergonomics and an action that is reminiscent of the M1/M14 that I can plink with for 1/3 the cost of .30-06/.308 and less abuse on my shoulder. Would I choose it as a fighting rifle over an AR? Nope. But I do like the ergos better (apart from the rock-to-lock magazine), and I'm confident it would do the job if I needed it to.

I can't argue against the fact that there are more practical rifles out there, or that it's kinda "weird." You are correct on both counts. But the Mini is a quality weapon, and if you enjoy variety of design and mechanics, or want a few items in your safe made of something other than parkerized steel and plastic, it's a nice one to have.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    For what it's worth here's what Bill Ruger had to say about it:

Ruger on the Mini-14 Rifle
    I was at the N.R.A. show, standing by our booth along with some other people. We were quite busy, as always, and we had just then been getting well into the design of the Mini-14, and had even made some prototypes. It was not on the market, at that point. But the famous Ordnance Colonel Studier came along and shook hands. “How are you?” “Fine,” etc.; he had another man with him, probably a neighbor or something. Both were dressed in civilian tweeds, and so I said, “It occurs to me, we’re doing something you might be interested to know about; a miniaturized M14 to take the .223 cartridge.” I tell you the reaction on the Colonel’s face was electrifying. He said, “What?” I said, “Just like the M1; but it’s scaled way down in proportion to the M14 as the .223 is to the .308 or .30-06.” He said, “Oh, what have you done with it?” I said, “Well, nothing at this point. We’re just finishing up the tooling” and so on. He said, “You haven’t shown it to the government?”

That's from:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-133009.png
      Screenshot_20210117-133009.png
      425.3 KB · Views: 9

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I can't argue with any of that. I picked up my mini for $500, so I got kinda lucky there. I don't know if I'd spend the $800-$1000 that they are bringing these days (I'd probably opt for a CMP Garand for that money). My original comment was referring not to the cost of the rifle, but to the fact that .223 is cheap to shoot...a lot cheaper than .30-06 or .308 out of an M1 or M1A.

I like and enjoy my Mini for what it is. It's an interesting gun with classic ergonomics and an action that is reminiscent of the M1/M14 that I can plink with for 1/3 the cost of .30-06/.308 and less abuse on my shoulder. Would I choose it as a fighting rifle over an AR? Nope. But I do like the ergos better (apart from the rock-to-lock magazine), and I'm confident it would do the job if I needed it to.

I can't argue against the fact that there are more practical rifles out there, or that it's kinda "weird." You are correct on both counts. But the Mini is a quality weapon, and if you enjoy variety of design and mechanics, or want a few items in your safe made of something other than parkerized steel and plastic, it's a nice one to have.
    The mini is a cool rifle, but it's more of a gee-wizzer than anything that makes sense today. A stainless one with the full a-team repro stock would be fun to have.

As far as cost to shoot... The cheapest 5.56 is going for 89c a round right now. I imagine you could shoot 30-06 for the same price.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    As far as cost to shoot... The cheapest 5.56 is going for 89c a round right now. I imagine you could shoot 30-06 for the same price.
    Well yeah...right now nothing is "cheap". Heck, locally there is no center-fire rifle ammo for sale at all. I haven't seen anything but shotgun shells for months. But under normal conditions .223 is far cheaper...and I can still get .223 components a lot cheaper than .30 cal (except for primers, but I can't find any of those at all). You can't make a realistic cost-benefit analysis based on the stupidity of the ammo market a the moment.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There's a lot to be said about the AR platform but IMHO they are just ugly all day.
    I'm old school and very much appreciate a beautiful walnut stock. Only ranch rifles I have experience with have been plenty accurate for what I can ever imagine using it for.
    The big benefit of the AR platform IMO is parts/accessories availability and lite weight.
    But it's like being the wing man and hooking up with the uglier girl at the bar just before closing time

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'd like the "real thing", but probably won't get one, ever. Might get an M-1A but likely not. I do have a Mini-14, and have had it for close to 30 years.

I've thought about an M-1 Carbine. I'd like owning one. But that is only if I ever decide to collect, say, a set of US Military Arms. I certainly don't want to try to feed it.

What could I use it for? Dunno. It's certainly a "pretty rifle to look at. The Mini-14 could be my "truck gun" I guess.

One thing going for it - its not a "scary black rifle" with the "shoulder thing that goes up". :)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'd like the "real thing", but probably won't get one, ever. Might get an M-1A but likely not. I do have a Mini-14, and have had it for close to 30 years.

I've thought about an M-1 Carbine. I'd like owning one. But that is only if I ever decide to collect, say, a set of US Military Arms. I certainly don't want to try to feed it.

What could I use it for? Dunno. It's certainly a "pretty rifle to look at. The Mini-14 could be my "truck gun" I guess.

One thing going for it - its not a "scary black rifle" with the "shoulder thing that goes up". :)
    The irony being that the M-14 / M1A literally does have a shoulder thing that goes up.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    I had one back in the early 90’s and it was a fun rifle to shoot but it wasn’t the most accurate thing in the world. About minute of pie plate would best describe it. My rifle was reliable with cheap ra line magazines. I would like to get anothe, especially since the A-team stocks are being made again however I refuse to pay what they are going for these days. It’s a $500 rifle at best in my book.

Top Bottom