• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ...firearm post from Kut.

Anyways, a few weeks ago a friend told me about a 1911 he was trying to unload from a deceased relative, and wondered if I’d be interested. Today I took a look at it, and it was an immaculate Colt 1911 from the 50s. Never had a 1911, because besides being ugly and unreliable (lol), CM likes them, and I don’t want to be CM’s toadie. I asked him what he wants for it, and he said $800.
    Now, that seems like a steal. Is it? I don’t want to cheat the guy, so I’ll pay him with it’s worth if higher (accounting for friend “discount”). What can the INGO gurus tell me about this weapon. Actual worth, reliability, just general knowledge. Is is something to own and have fun with? Or does it become a safe queen?

Thanks in advance.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Anyways, a few weeks ago a friend told me about a 1911 he was trying to unload from a deceased relative, and wondered if I’d be interested. Today I took a look at it, and it was an immaculate Colt 1911 from the 50s. Never had a 1911, because besides being ugly and unreliable (lol), CM likes them, and I don’t want to be CM’s toadie. I asked him what he wants for it, and he said $800.
    Now, that seems like a steal. Is it? I don’t want to cheat the guy, so I’ll pay him with it’s worth if higher (accounting for friend “discount”). What can the INGO gurus tell me about this weapon. Actual worth, reliability, just general knowledge. Is is something to own and have fun with? Or does it become a safe queen?

Thanks in advance.
    1st.....:p

2nd...Pics my friend. It might be $1K+ and it might be fair as priced.

3rd...I got your ugly

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I would suspect it is worth at least the $800.
    Pay him the $800, get it evaluated, give him the extra if needed.

Have had things like this disappear to family members who do not appreciate them and get sold for almost nothing, almost stolen.

I have gone back to people I respected and offered extra if I felt they did not get a proper value.

Don

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    tenor.gif

Colt Serial Numbers

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Worth at least $800 in even decent condition. Only issue would be if it has early original plastic grips. Not much was understood about plastic in the 50s and early grips on Colt 1911s had a problem with shrinkage. This would be from about 1947-1954, you can easily get a date of manufacture from the internet.

Attachments

• coltwood.jpg
      coltwood.jpg
      439.3 KB · Views: 24

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Like the others have said more info is needed on the exact gun. $800 seems like a good starting place and could go up to 2-3k depending on the actual model, condition, box, etc, etc.... But it seems any 50’s era Colt in decent condition would be worth at least$800.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Would start out with the usual if it could only tell its story, but based on its reported condition may have resided in a safe for a long time. Good luck and seems like a great opportunity.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would suspect it is worth at least the $800.
    Pay him the $800, get it evaluated, give him the extra if needed.

Have had things like this disappear to family members who do not appreciate them and get sold for almost nothing, almost stolen.

I have gone back to people I respected and offered extra if I felt they did not get a proper value.

Don
    Same here.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Thanks in advance.

The nice thing is that with standard issue mags this pistol MIGHT still be "approved" if Biden gets his way!

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    In the spring of 1962 I bought the then new to market Colt Gold Cup 1911. It was Colt's answer to the custom built match guns by Al Dinan and others. On my first range trip it went full auto with all 5 rounds. I tried another 5 round mag with the same result. Since I was about an hour's drive from the Colt factory,I headed on down. They fixed it on the spot. I asked the tech if the gun was supposed to rattle when I shook it. He said it had to be that way so that it would cycle with match ammunition. The accuracy stunk (stank?) and to this day it was the worst piece of crap I have ever owned. Beware of old Colt 1911's'

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have heard that old 1911's were the Glocks of their day. They were designed and built for reliability rather than accuracy.

Lots of reports of old 1911s having inherently loose slides and notably rattled when shook.

Also heard many reports over the years that old 1911s couldn't hit the side of the barn.

A lot of the reliability issues with modern factory 1911s us that they are attempting mass production of a precision accuracy device.

While modern CNC machining is light years ahead of old, the design of the 1911 mostly requires hand fitting to be optimally accurate and reliable. Hence, our OP's reference to the reputation that modern 1911's aren't reliable.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My barbecue 1911 shoots reasonably well and has never jammed on me. I don't shoot anything besides 230 grain RNL bullets in it. A Colt Commercial made in 1916, it's about as old as a 1911 can get.

Attachments

• commercial 1916.jpg
      commercial 1916.jpg
      138 KB · Views: 35

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    My barbecue 1911 shoots reasonably well and has never jammed on me. I don't shoot anything besides 230 grain RNL bullets in it. A Colt Commercial made in 1916, it's about as old as a 1911 can get.
    I came here for pics and though I've yet to see @Kutnupe14 's soon-to-be-adopted, I did not walk away disappointed. That's some real pretty right there!

Top Bottom