• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I daily carry a variety of cheap knives, ESSE Avispa being my favorite. I’ve resharpened it a billion times. It does the job. Outside of normal EDC, places where I won’t be using it as much, or of course if I need to look cool, I carry my higher dollar blades. In the woods, I carry some serious 1/4” spline blades that can pry an elephants hoof off.

I read that, and thought, "Pffft, sure claiming an ESEE to be cheap... what a bragger..."

Nope - you're right; they are cheap, and with a D2 blade to boot!

sonny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2020
    Danville
    I think the new generation arent as interested in hunting, fishing, camping, etc...all things outdoors. Many of them are more interested in technology and such. I have carried my Spyderco for years and feel lost without it.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I got my first Case knife at 5 years old.Dad snapped the large blade in half so I never impaled myself. Been carrying one pretty much since then. Gus Marsh,the editor of Knife Magazine, and the designer of the original Sea Wolf Diving Knife hosts a live chat every week on IKnifecollector.com.He picks a knife maker(some old,and some newer)and posts their history,and some members discuss it.He is a great guy.For the history buff,it's pretty good.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I just carry my leatherman. In duluth shorts there is a little pocket inside the right front pocket that fits my leatherman wingman and a bic lighter perfectly. I never really saw any reason to carrying more than 1 knife but more power to you guys that do!

I do have a nice collection of fixed blade knives though including an old Edge Mark that my dad gave me for making the AB honor roll in the 5th grade.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gibbs' Rules
    Rule #9: "Never go anywhere without a knife."

There are two types of edges you can put on a knife; a working edge that is sharp enough to shave the hair off your arm or an art edge that you will scarcely feel if it cuts you.
    This will give you a working edge https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...nt=Screwdrivers & Hex Keys Ad Group - Product

Reading The Razor's Edge Book of Sharpening will tell you what is needed to get the art edge.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    For years, I didn't carry because I didn't want it to become a habit that got me in trouble at work.

I finally bought a small Leatherman just for work. And I carry its bigger brother out and about.

Bums me out how little I get to use either. Seems as though when I prepare to need something, I don't need it!

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I've carried a buck three-blade 2 1/2" stockman for many years.
    a few years ago I got a free Case "ohio afield" single blade pocket knife from fur-fish-game that I now carry everywhere allowed of course. it's sharp & light and handy:)

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Got my first knife when I started grade school. Dad gave me a fifty cent pearl cellulose handled 2 blade knife to cut the string mom put around the sandwich she wrapped in wax paper. My first 8 years of school had no cafeteria so you took your lunch or bought something from the little country store across the highway. Worked on a farm for years growing up and the knife was just another tool you used to get jobs done. Today I carry a fixed bladed spear point double edged, good to clean game. You will also find 2-5 pocket knives on me with different jobs for each. I do like Indiana knife laws, but Ohio's laws are not bad as a knife is a tool unless used on a human. I do need to find a good walking cane with a excellent long blade, not the cheap things produced today with a high price tag.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Gibbs' Rules
    Rule #9: "Never go anywhere without a knife."

There are two types of edges you can put on a knife; a working edge that is sharp enough to shave the hair off your arm or an art edge that you will scarcely feel if it cuts you.
    This will give you a working edge https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...nt=Screwdrivers & Hex Keys Ad Group - Product

Reading The Razor's Edge Book of Sharpening will tell you what is needed to get the art edge.

Your "working edge" is a pretty low std. Those carbide tools if used too vigoously will actually do serious damage to a knife. Cannot in good conscience recommend one. The small black plastic squares with the two tiny ceramic rods in two coarsenesses are the bees knees for the amateur sharpener. Much less likely to cause damage to the blade. And with a couple strokes on a kitchen steel after its use, I can shave hair with the blade. It won't correct major damage or poor angles though. You'll want some stones for that or wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to some plate glass.

Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Warsaw
    I picked up a Kershaw/Emerson collaboration CQC knife last Black Friday for $19 and have carried it almost everyday since it arrived. Feels weird not to have one on me. Same for multitools, can’t leave home without it.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I carry a benchmade, can’t remember the model, and a Case Sodbuster Jr. every day. I have so many sharpeners, some high end, but the easiest to use by far is my worksharp.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    At my Dad's retirement party, a secretary asked if anyone had a knife.
    Every one of my brothers, and my Dad, pulled out a knife.
    The lady seemed perplexed, and asked, why do you all have a knife?
    One of us answered, why do you think we only have one? And some of us pulled out a 2nd.
    Then another said, we carry a knife in case a young lady asks if anyone has a knife. Why would you ask for a knife, then be surprised when we have a knife?

It was Chicago, so we didn't even bother to bring up guns.
    :)

I have a friend in Chicago I’ll be visiting some day soon and looked up knife laws. Wow 2.5” Marximum legal length?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I've carried a knife since I was a teen. Always have one. My dad always has one. It seems odd to me a man would walk around with out one.

Top Bottom