Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You cut off the last part of the sentence... "purposely manage to ensure we have diverse candidates that can compete"

Why are you so afraid of minorities being able to compete?
    Why is the "diverse" qualifier needed? Are there not people that don't fit the "diverse" category that might need help competing as well? I think that's what they're getting at.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Uh oh. Intersection clash alert!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Why is the "diverse" qualifier needed? Are there not people that don't fit the "diverse" category that might need help competing as well? I think that's what they're getting at.

The question that he was asked was regarding diversity in promotions. He responded in that context. I don't know how he could have answered the question without mentioning it.

I absolutely agree that there might be people that don't fit that category that need help, and they should also be eligible for such programs. Once again, I would absolutely be opposed to any kind of remedial program that excluded anybody.

However, the fact that he answered the question within the context in which it was asked does not mean that he is excluding such people, does it? That is an assumption being made without any evidence.

The fact that he gave ideas of things that would help minorities to be able to compete, does not mean he is discriminating against whites.

I'm finding this discussion to be incredibly frustrating. First, we claim we don't want to lower standards to help minorities. Everyone should have to compete on a level playing field.

Now we don't want to have remedial programs that could help minorities to compete on that level playing field.

The only conclusion I can come to is that we don't really want minorities to be able to compete.

I really, really hate being Kut, but dang it, sometimes he was right.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The question that he was asked was regarding diversity in promotions. He responded in that context. I don't know how he could have answered the question without mentioning it.

I absolutely agree that there might be people that don't fit that category that need help, and they should also be eligible for such programs. Once again, I would absolutely be opposed to any kind of remedial program that excluded anybody.

However, the fact that he answered the question within the context in which it was asked does not mean that he is excluding such people, does it? That is an assumption being made without any evidence.

The fact that he gave ideas of things that would help minorities to be able to compete, does not mean he is discriminating against whites.

I'm finding this discussion to be incredibly frustrating. First, we claim we don't want to lower standards to help minorities. Everyone should have to compete on a level playing field.

Now we don't want to have remedial programs that could help minorities to compete on that level playing field.

The only conclusion I can come to is that we don't really want minorities to be able to compete.

I really, really hate being Kut, but dang it, sometimes he was right.
    I think we may be talking past each other. I just don't like that "diverse" has to enter the conversation at all. I believe in meritocracy. Best candidate for a position based on qualifications should be the only consideration IMHO. If I had my druthers, all applications would not include any demographic information, and all interviews would be conducted with the interviewer being blindfolded.

ETA: There should be no "nudging or pulling" going on (also IMHO) of anyone, "diverse" or not. Those willing to enter into the training needed for advancement should be considered before those that are not.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You cut off the last part of the sentence... "purposely manage to ensure we have diverse candidates that can compete"

Why are you so afraid of minorities being able to compete?
    Don't bother trying to put words in my mouth, I am not afraid of that one bit.

I'm just pointing out the biased prejudice in his statements. You can't seem to see it, possibly because it matches your own biased prejudice. Biased prejudice is not a good thing. The ends do not justify bad means.

Try this statement -
    And the last thing I would say on that is how we encourage and mentor some of those white candidates... We've got to actually nudge and pull and actually purposely manage to ensure we have white candidates that can compete and if they need some help in certain areas or additional training or additional opportunities that is something we've got to continue to work on as well. So it's really about providing those opportunities and the mentorship and the nurturing
    Can you see the biased prejudice now?

He is spouting the equivalent of the old affirmative action and that is still just as wrong today because it discriminates on the basis of race. That is wrong and should not be supported.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I know many hate long videos, but I found this one tonight of Rowan Atkinson speaking on Britain’s speech laws and found it insightful. If you’re so inclined, it’s a good listen.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Well Gen. Brown seems very qualified and seems like he would be a good fit for the chairman job. Actually much better than other bidiot appointments. I just hope he doesn't let any activism overide common sense and screw up our military any worse than it already has been. Someday we might actually need a military.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know many hate long videos, but I found this one tonight of Rowan Atkinson speaking on Britain’s speech laws and found it insightful. If you’re so inclined, it’s a good listen.

He had me until he praised Obama. He was dead wrong about him improving anything. Arguably, he instituted it. But I agreed with most of it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Actually that video was very good and he has many valid points. Thanks for posting.

What I wouldn't like, or watch, is some attention whore making a video about that video and inserting himself between me and the real video just so he can blabber on and on and tell me what I should think about it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually that video was very good and he has many valid points. Thanks for posting.

What I wouldn't like, or watch, is some attention whore making a video about that video and inserting himself between me and the real video just so he can blabber on and on and tell me what I should think about it.
    Yes! :thumbsup:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are absolutely correct. I really don't get why so many are so opposed to anything that could possibly help minorities.
    Is it possible that there are white people from poor/diadvantaged backgrounds that lack the confidence to apply for those same upper level jobs? Will they be prodded and pulled? Will they be included in the group thought worthy of extra help?

I wouldn't bet on it. Just a new flavor of affirmative action

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018