Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Preacher arrested for quoting bible.
    Well..
    According to the Lancaster Patriot, McClune submitted a criminal complaint against Atkins, recommending that he be charged with “disorderly conduct” and alleging that he “yelled derogatory comments at an organization that was holding a permitted event.”

Watch the video.
    He was hardly being loud.
    Disorderly Conduct seems to just be a catch all for what they want.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This will get our people killed.

I think that is another example of the headline not really matching what was actually said. He talked about additional training to help minorities compete for promotions on a level playing field. He said nothing about promoting minorities first and then giving them the training. I see a big difference in that distinction. However, I would also agree that the additional training should be open to anybody that wants it, not just minorities.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think that is another example of the headline not really matching what was actually said. He talked about additional training to help minorities compete for promotions on a level playing field. He said nothing about promoting minorities first and then giving them the training. I see a big difference in that distinction. However, I would also agree that the additional training should be open to anybody that wants it, not just minorities.
    The insidious nature of when evil speaks: it sounds easy to the ears.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Preacher arrested for quoting bible.
    Well..
    According to the Lancaster Patriot, McClune submitted a criminal complaint against Atkins, recommending that he be charged with “disorderly conduct” and alleging that he “yelled derogatory comments at an organization that was holding a permitted event.”

Watch the video.
    He was hardly being loud.
    Disorderly Conduct seems to just be a catch all for what they want.

That cops other job is wearing a dress and makeup and hanging out in the kids section of the library.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    The fact that you consider offering training to minority people so that they can compete for promotions to be an example of evil is... ummm, not a good look for you.
    I'm confused; didn't you just also agree that limiting the training to only minorities (which is racial discrimination) is wrong?

"I would also agree that the additional training should be open to anybody that wants it, not just minorities."

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm confused; didn't you just also agree that limiting the training to only minorities (which is racial discrimination) is wrong?

"I would also agree that the additional training should be open to anybody that wants it, not just minorities."
    I don't know why you are confused, did you watch the video? The General never said anything about limiting the training to only minorities. That was my initial point, what he says in the video doesn't match what was being claimed in the tweet.

The General said "it's really about providing opportunities and the mentorship and the nurturing to ensure that all of our service members have the opportunity to compete on a level playing field."

I agree it would be wrong to discriminate based on race, but there is nothing in the video that suggests that is the case.

If you, or anyone else, still thinks that what the General said is an example of evil then you have a problem. If the training and mentoring mostly benefits minorities, so what? If that bothers you, you have a problem.

The main issue is that we keep seeing this same thing over and over again with social media. Something is said, a tweet, article, or headline adds something that wasn't in the original comments that completely changes the context and then people are outraged by something that was never actually said because they don't bother to compare the two.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Nobody talks like that... juicy 2.0

OIP.kC_ok13l_wTS9ZKpow3CrwAAAA

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I don't know why you are confused, did you watch the video? The General never said anything about limiting the training to only minorities. That was my initial point, what he says in the video doesn't match what was being claimed in the tweet.

The General said "it's really about providing opportunities and the mentorship and the nurturing to ensure that all of our service members have the opportunity to compete on a level playing field."

I agree it would be wrong to discriminate based on race, but there is nothing in the video that suggests that is the case.

If you, or anyone else, still thinks that what the General said is an example of evil then you have a problem. If the training and mentoring mostly benefits minorities, so what? If that bothers you, you have a problem.

The main issue is that we keep seeing this same thing over and over again with social media. Something is said, a tweet, article, or headline adds something that wasn't in the original comments that completely changes the context and then people are outraged by something that was never actually said because they don't bother to compare the two.
    He said we need to "nudge and pull" "diverse candidates" in order to get them to put their names in for positions that they don't feel qualified for. If that doesn't mean racial discrimination, what does it mean?

The whole crux of where you're getting things wrong is right here: "If the training and mentoring mostly benefits minorities, so what? If that bothers you, you have a problem."

The reason it bothers me is because the only way for it to mostly benefit minorities, is if it's given preferentially to minorities and denied proportionally to white people because they want to "nudge and pull" minorities into certain positions in order to make themselves look more "diverse."

Yes, it's totally possible that my interpretation is wrong; it was only a 30-second clip of a much longer interview, so there could be more context that shows he didn't really mean it that way. But barring further clarifying context, given what was said in the clip, and the way in which I've heard that type of newspeak used in dozens of other contexts, I'd say what the original tweet said was a pretty fair interpretation of what the guy in the video is saying.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    He said we need to "nudge and pull" "diverse candidates" in order to get them to put their names in for positions that they don't feel qualified for. If that doesn't mean racial discrimination, what does it mean?

It means helping people that need help. Racial discrimination would be not allowing someone to apply for the position, or the training, based upon their race. He neither said anything like that, nor implied it. If the program were to include something like that, I would be opposed to it.

Some truly good people come from disadvantaged backgrounds that have left them without the confidence to apply for some positions. It's not discriminatory to give them a nudge and a pull to put their name in, or to give them training where they are deficient.

What do you want, lower standards so that minorities can get promotions? Don't we want high standards? What on earth is wrong about helping people to improve so that they meet the high standards?

The whole crux of where you're getting things wrong is right here: "If the training and mentoring mostly benefits minorities, so what? If that bothers you, you have a problem."

I can only conclude that you have a problem.

The reason it bothers me is because the only way for it to mostly benefit minorities, is if it's given preferentially to minorities and denied proportionally to white people because they want to "nudge and pull" minorities into certain positions in order to make themselves look more "diverse."

No, it's not necessary to discriminate against white people in order to offer help to people that need it. That is all in your head.

Yes, it's totally possible that my interpretation is wrong; it was only a 30-second clip of a much longer interview, so there could be more context that shows he didn't really mean it that way. But barring further clarifying context, given what was said in the clip, and the way in which I've heard that type of newspeak used in dozens of other contexts, I'd say what the original tweet said was a pretty fair interpretation of what the guy in the video is saying.

Ok, feel free to be outraged by your interpretation of a 30-second clip taken out of context about a hypothetical program that includes possible training and mentoring that doesn't actually exist.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It means helping people that need help. Racial discrimination would be not allowing someone to apply for the position, or the training, based upon their race. He neither said anything like that, nor implied it. If the program were to include something like that, I would be opposed to it.

Some truly good people come from disadvantaged backgrounds that have left them without the confidence to apply for some positions. It's not discriminatory to give them a nudge and a pull to put their name in, or to give them training where they are deficient.

What do you want, lower standards so that minorities can get promotions? Don't we want high standards? What on earth is wrong about helping people to improve so that they meet the high standards?

I can only conclude that you have a problem.

No, it's not necessary to discriminate against white people in order to offer help to people that need it. That is all in your head.

Ok, feel free to be outraged by your interpretation of a 30-second clip taken out of context about a hypothetical program that includes possible training and mentoring that doesn't actually exist.
    You don't seem to get it.
    He wants to go out of his way to "encourage and mentor" a subset of people. And to "nudge and pull and actually purposely manage" a subset of people.
    That means this subset of people is being treated favorably compared to the rest of the people.
    The rest of the people are not being treated in this favorable fashion. Only the favored subset - the "diverse".

"And the last thing I would say on that is how we encourage and mentor some of those diverse candidates... We've got to actually nudge and pull and actually purposely manage to ensure we have diverse candidates that can compete and if they need some help in certain areas or additional training or additional opportunities that is something we've got to continue to work on as well. So it's really about providing those opportunities and the mentorship and the nurturing"

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    You don't seem to get it.
    You are absolutely correct. I really don't get why so many are so opposed to anything that could possibly help minorities.

He wants to go out of his way to "encourage and mentor" a subset of people. And to "nudge and pull and actually purposely manage" a subset of people.

You cut off the last part of the sentence... "purposely manage to ensure we have diverse candidates that can compete"

Why are you so afraid of minorities being able to compete?

That means this subset of people is being treated favorably compared to the rest of the people.
    The rest of the people are not being treated in this favorable fashion. Only the favored subset - the "diverse".

Yes, remedial programs that assist people that need help generally favor people that actually need the remediation. It's kind of like cancer treatments that only help people with cancer. Life's unfair like that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom