• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I tolerate white people who use the “A” version. I have acquaintances who use it, and I just let it go because they aren’t trying to be offensive. Same thing when I’m around people in a foreign country.
    A hard “R” will get a look, but that’s to make sure I’m not about to be attacked, if I’m safe, I’ll just move along, unless that person is directing it to me, then we’ll have that talk.
    And how do you react to hearing it in a video?

This girl didn't use this as a racial slur. She did not try to denigrate anyone with it. She said it to a friend because she was happy she had gotten her learners permit to drive.

I say again, context means everything here.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

This girl didn't use this as a racial slur. She did not try to denigrate anyone with it. She said it to a friend because she was happy she had gotten her learners permit to drive.

Context, like the guy who released the video complained to the school administration about how widespread use of that word was and asked that it be addressed?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Context, like the guy who released the video complained to the school administration about how widespread use of that word was and asked that it be addressed?
    We weren't talking about the administration, were we? We were talking about releasing an out of context video of a girl with the sole purpose of ruining her life.

You don't know how "widespread" that word was used, nor the context is was supposedly used in that school. Is it really offensive if some white kids are calling each other that. Why would you single out one girl using it in the manner in which she did?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That’s not how this machine works. In the US, if it’s “A”, probably gonna get in trouble but it’s up to the people who hear it. If it’s “R”, there is zero tolerance, zero room for mistake. The person could only ever have one purpose for that regardless of context. The world must stand still until the person is crucified publicly.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We weren't talking about the administration, were we? We were talking about releasing an out of context video of a girl with the sole purpose of ruining her life.

You don't know how "widespread" that word was used, nor the context is was supposedly used in that school. Is it really offensive if some white kids are calling each other that. Why would you single out one girl using it in the manner in which she did?
    Too bad for her. Consequences. Context doesn’t matter. Because that’s the social contract.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That’s not how this machine works. In the US, if it’s “A”, probably gonna get in trouble but it’s up to the people who hear it. If it’s “R”, there is zero tolerance, zero room for mistake. The person could only ever have one purpose for that regardless of context. The world must stand still until the person is crucified publicly.
    I doubt the A or R would have mattered in this case. Someone with a personal agenda framed her in a way specifically to get the mob to attack her.

I think the A vs R usage is more to do with accent than conscious thought for those using it in other than a racist way. Just like some people like to "axe" questions instead of "ask".

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I doubt the A or R would have mattered in this case. Someone with a personal agenda framed her in a way specifically to get the mob to attack her.

I think the A vs R usage is more to do with accent than conscious thought for those using it in other than a racist way. Just like some people like to "axe" questions instead of "ask".
    While I agree with the first part, I don't the second. At least not generally. At least in my experience.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    While I agree with the first part, I don't the second. At least not generally. At least in my experience.
    No, I think he’s right about the second. It’s obvious that the context of the girl saying it favored the interpretation that it was said with the “A” meaning. It’s been my experience that some people are too “white” not to speak “white”. It’s rarer to find that in young people these days. But have you ever heard what an impossible “white” person sounds like trying to sound “black”? It’s like me trying to speak with a french accent :n00b: That’s my experience.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    No, I think he’s right about the second. It’s obvious that the context of the girl saying it favored the interpretation that it was said with the “A” meaning. It’s been my experience that some people are too “white” not to speak “white”. It’s rarer to find that in young people these days. But have you ever heard what an impossible “white” person sounds like trying to sound “black”? It’s like me trying to speak with a french accent :n00b: That’s my experience.
    You're quite possibly right in her case, I did say generally. But when you've been around enough people who use it with both an "a" and a "r"... Everyday conversation an "a", pissed off at someone a "r" and it didn't matter the receiving persons race.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Well, it is PETA. Our oldest worked for them for a summer, following a band tour around and setting up their table. Two guys (one with major issues) talking for 4 hours and driving for 12+ more every day. Had to wear plastic or canvas in place of anything leather. They had to eat vegan (oldest lost more than 10% of his body weight during that time). The issues guy ended up sick and depressed and drugged out in Canada. Our oldest asked PETA what to do, as they were likely to miss their next gig. PETA said just leave him behind. As in abandon him. Oldest said "no, I'm dropping him somewhere he can get help, and I quit. If you want your van back you will buy me a plane ticket home."

They obviously care way more about animals than people.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, it is PETA. Our oldest worked for them for a summer, following a band tour around and setting up their table. Two guys (one with major issues) talking for 4 hours and driving for 12+ more every day. Had to wear plastic or canvas in place of anything leather. They had to eat vegan (oldest lost more than 10% of his body weight during that time). The issues guy ended up sick and depressed and drugged out in Canada. Our oldest asked PETA what to do, as they were likely to miss their next gig. PETA said just leave him behind. As in abandon him. Oldest said "no, I'm dropping him somewhere he can get help, and I quit. If you want your van back you will buy me a plane ticket home."

They obviously care way more about animals than people.
    Your children defininely find ways to see the world, don't they?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom