• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah it kinda isnt “kaput.” The social contract is understood by all, even if one disagrees. Those who run afoul of it, understand that they may incur the wrath of the masses. On a smaller scale, that explains perfectly how my membership here is viewed... unless you think I’m extended the same privileges as the rest of membership, in which case, Id question the “fair broker” image youve worked hard to craft.
    No, that social contract isn’t understood by all. Cancel culture is new. It’s grown with Twitter.

The rules get made up as we go, because wokeness requires constantly problematizing everything outside of that paradigm. so it’s hard to know what one might be canceled for and for how long. And granted, the sin for a white person to use that word has grown socially. But the consequences didn’t require canceling a person just 10 years ago.

I think you’re working really hard not to disagree with cancel culture. And I’m gonna keep pressing you on it. So I’ll ask it yet a different way. Is it just to cancel that girls future because she said that word? What consequences do you think she deserves? It’s not a hard question to answer. But it does kinda put you out there.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah it kinda isnt “kaput.” The social contract is understood by all, even if one disagrees. Those who run afoul of it, understand that they may incur the wrath of the masses. On a smaller scale, that explains perfectly how my membership here is viewed... unless you think I’m extended the same privileges as the rest of membership, in which case, Id question the “fair broker” image youve worked hard to craft.
    I think you need to explain what you’re implying about being treated differently here. I understand the point you’re making, but I want you to explain why you think you’re being treated differently. And you are treated differently. But why do you think that is?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You're fond of the "F" word?
    This is my shocked face.
    :rolleyes:
    Words convey meaning. The N-word can convey different meanings depending how it’s used, and obviously who is using it. **** is just a word, and it has many meanings too. Depends how you use it. I don’t see a problem with it. It’s versatile. There are other words that take the place of it. They are constructed of sounds and we assign characters to them to use in written language just like we do for “****”. Society has just assigned THAT one a vulgar designation. The other sords thst mean the same things as **** are even okay to say in church. But not that one. That’s a social construct. It’s changeable. We could decide not to care about what sounds we make.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There are also those who will "pointedly point out" that the Bible doesn't specifically prohibit slavery, per se...and who want to be on the "dishing-out" end of the transaction when their "Protestant Work Ethic" tells them Americans are too lazy to work (for "slave wages")...and advocate limitless immigration to drive wages back down to where "God intended them to be."

(Cf. "I tried to hire some neighborhood guys to paint our church at minimum wage, and can you believe it...I couldn't even get any of the lazy sons-a-britches to apply...what is this country coming to...we need more immigrants...")
    Indeed, the CoC republicans think they ARE the Republican party and are going/about to go through a similar learning process

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Words convey meaning. The N-word can convey different meanings depending how it’s used, and obviously who is using it. **** is just a word, and it has many meanings too. Depends how you use it. I don’t see a problem with it. It’s versatile. There are other words that take the place of it. They are constructed of sounds and we assign characters to them to use in written language just like we do for “****”. Society has just assigned THAT one a vulgar designation. The other sords thst mean the same things as **** are even okay to say in church. But not that one. That’s a social construct. It’s changeable. We could decide not to care about what sounds we make.

You do as you think best.
    There are some "sounds" I prefer not to hear my 6 year old grand daughter make.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Indybeerman’s story makes no sense. People in the hood, call EVERYBODY the “A” version. I think he heard wrong. I’ve NEVER seen it used in such a fashion, and unless he’d like to disagree, I bet I’ve heard WAY more usage of that word, across multiple places, than he has.

Been called both far more than what I care, and my hearing is just fine, and just because you've "never" seen it used, doesn't mean it don't happen.
    Beer Jockey's take a amazingly huge amount of :poop: for a job that for the better part of my career didn't pay that great.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Well. I get that. And I do understand a lot of people find it offensive. It’s good that INGO has language filters.
    To be fair, I think the language filters are rather pointless and haven't ever understood it. There aren't kids on here to my knowledge, and if they are then there are much worse things they could read than someone using a curse word - possibly even in a positive manner (i.e. that is f-in' great).

You can easily say something far more offensive to someone without using any curse words. Not trying to argue you, I just have always wondered why on earth there's a language filter on here since I joined. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To be fair, I think the language filters are rather pointless and haven't ever understood it. There aren't kids on here to my knowledge, and if they are then there are much worse things they could read than someone using a curse word - possibly even in a positive manner (i.e. that is f-in' great).

You can easily say something far more offensive to someone without using any curse words. Not trying to argue you, I just have always wondered why on earth there's a language filter on here since I joined. :dunno:
    I tend to agree, but it’s supposed to be “family friendly”. And I don’t have a problem with that. There are a number of people here who don’t use that kind of language who find it offensive. With the new forum software and the different filtering, I’ve had a hard time with letting some get past me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Maybe there aren't kids "on" here, but as a papaw myself, the grandkids could just happen to walk by while I'm on INGO. So I can appreciate the use of filters. Having worked in the environment that I work in (IT), I have to mind my tongue in official settings or communications. I don't have a problem minding it here (of my own volition) but like jamil said, I tend to type about like I talk IRL.

Never been much of a cusser in general conversation. Now if I whack my thumb with a hammer or something, then I might let fly with a few expletives. :):

ETA: The flying expletives sometimes happen if I watch the news too.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I know I am in the minority, but I do not like to read bad language.

Not only bad in the meaning, but a poor use of a very rich language.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know I am in the minority, but I do not like to read bad language.

Not only bad in the meaning, but a poor use of a very rich language.
    I’ll disagree with you on the poor use part, but I do support having the filters because people don’t like to read it.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    I never got the whole ending in A or R thing to justify if the word was accepted, but Kut got me thinking. Do gay people or Asians use the the words he said amongst each other as slang?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I never got the whole ending in A or R thing to justify if the word was accepted, but Kut got me thinking. Do gay people or Asians use the the words he said amongst each other as slang?
    So is what you’re asking, do gay people get a pass for using gay slurs, while straight people don’t?

That’s an interesting question.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I have a friend who will once in a while refer to himself as a gay slur if he does something that is what most would consider "stereotypically gay." It's always in a joking manner and I never really thought much of it honestly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom