Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What actually ruined it was Government capping CEO and top officers pay. That lead to perks that were not price controlled to attract talent.
    • Housing
    • Cars
    • Vacation time
    • HEALTH INSURANCE

Prior to that health insurance was almost unheard of. Then Unions put it on the table for their workers. Soon healthcare began to rise and insurance companies started to offer it to their clients. Medicare and Medicaid were instituted to help the elderly and indigent.

That is when the cash registers disappeared.

No. Back in the days when I had to file my own claims, I had to pay the provider. The insurance company paid me. If I couldn't afford the whole thing I could pay an estimate of what the insurance wouldn't pay up front (that was the old 80/20 plan), and they'd bill me for the rest. And I'd pay the provider the rest when I received the money from the claim. In that kind of system, the market is still intact.

I don't think health insurance needs to be tied to employment. That's a bad model. I don't see insurance itself as an evil though. It's a valuable product for a lot of people that helps take some uncertainty out of life. If it's a cash register, how will you pay for a long stay in the hospital? Of course it'd be more affordable than it is today. But still expensive.

I would not favor eliminating insurance, and I would not favor prohibiting employers from providing it. But I think some rules need to change to make employment not the #1 way to get insurance, and I certainly think the customer always needs to have the primary role in decision making. Paying the healthcare provider should be a unique transaction between the patient and the provider. Claiming an insured event should be a unique transaction between the insured and the insurance company. What got rid of the cash registers was PPOs. After that I never filed another claim and I was taken out of the loop.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My opinion.

• Medical savings accounts.
    • I pay up front for all minor doctor visits. That is what I already do.
    • Intermediate plan (small operations, broken bones and such) with a couple hundred copay.
    • Catastrophic Plan (cancer, life support and such) with a $5000 copay.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My opinion.

• Intermediate plan (small operations, broken bones and such) with a couple hundred copay.

Way too sensible to be acceptable. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My opinion.

I like the high-deductable plans. I think that puts people in the loop more. But until you break the link between healthcare providers and insurers, the market will stay broken. I can't negotiate the price with the doctor, but the insurance company can. And they're not even gonna pay out anything until I've spent $6K.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I worked at a place (that was self insured) years ago and had to have a procedure at an imaging center. I went in for the procedure and told them I would pay cash. They did the $100 procedure for $80. When I turned in the receipt the person in charge lambasted me for paying cash, because she would negotiate a lower price and now she was stuck paying full price. When I explained that I had only paid 80% she said she couldn't have gotten that good a deal.

Why, because the place had to pay someone just to haggle with insurance managers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being an independent consultant I pay my own way on insurance. Even with high deductibles, it's the single biggest monthly bill I pay.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And that is because of ACA and the complicitous insurance companies and orgs like AARP.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Congrats Women. CNN just erased you from existence.

CNN said:
    Individuals with a cervix are now recommended to start cervical cancers screening at 25 and continue through age 65, with HPV testing every five years as the preferred method of testing, according to a new guideline released by the American Cancer Society

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1288948978088804355

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    SWMBO needed a shoulder x-ray. We though we could get off cheaper just to pay cash than to have to pay most of it anyway under our high-deductible plan (complete junk). She called 7 or 8 places, asking "How much for a shoulder x-ray?". Most common answer by far - "We don't know." They literally had no idea how much to charge for a service they provide with some frequency. I guess it came down to who was paying. Could you imagine going into a car dealership where they couldn't tell you how much the car was? Or a coffee shop? Or a deli?

The useful answers she did get were not really useful - anywhere from $2000 to $60 (plus a "reading fee"). We went with the cheap one, and it cost less than what our copay would have been.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    While all cultures have different expectations of men and women, only (some) humans can come up with the idea that isn't natural given how many examples there are among animals in nature.

Evolutionary biologist forced out of academia for insisting male and female are not social constructs

"I had embarked on this journey because I love science, and wanted to help beat back the forces of pseudoscience in the public sphere. But that project is impossible when scientists themselves have become intimidated by small clusters of activists who demand that the scientific method be subordinated to magical thinking, and who seek to ruin the lives of those who dissent."

I don't know why the scientists need to fear academics with phd's in social grievance studies. They should just pull a Sheldon, and declare, "that's not a real science". None of the social justice nonsense is falsifiable and should therefore be looked upon with utmost skepticism. If ever there were a time to look down their noses at the inferior, it's now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom