• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    She used the hard “R.” That ain’t how it’s done in the “culture” you’re speaking off. That phonetic difference is often the difference between someone rolling their eyes or them taking issue.
    You have a cite for that? Preferably a link to the video. I hadn't seen it specified which version she used.

Should a black and a white person both be treated the same for each respective use of the word? How about a white person singing along to a rap song? Should they say the word with an A as it is in the song, say "the n-word" in place of it, or just stop singing in some cases ever other word on the song?
    Or, would it be better for people to just start being honest about that word? It obviously has a new meaning, a new usage. So now, I think either no one should use it if we're going to insist it always has to have the traditional offensive meaning, or it's meaning is now changed such that anyone can use it for that new meaning.
    To be honest about that word, would be to say that it's now two separate words. One ends in an A the other in a R.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah, don’t believe that. I’m saying it my head, and it just doesn’t work in the way you’re saying. That or you dealt with a bunch of very eloquent sample seekers.
    I've seen in person and on video of blacks using the R version towards blacks and whites when they were pissed at them. Most of them weren't very eloquent.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You have a cite for that? Preferably a link to the video. I hadn't seen it specified which version she used.

Should a black and a white person both be treated the same for each respective use of the word? How about a white person singing along to a rap song? Should they say the word with an A as it is in the song, say "the n-word" in place of it, or just stop singing in some cases ever other word on the song?

To be honest about that word, would be to say that it's now two separate words. One ends in an A the other in a R.
    I tolerate white people who use the “A” version. I have acquaintances who use it, and I just let it go because they aren’t trying to be offensive. Same thing when I’m around people in a foreign country.
    A hard “R” will get a look, but that’s to make sure I’m not about to be attacked, if I’m safe, I’ll just move along, unless that person is directing it to me, then we’ll have that talk.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've seen in person and on video of blacks using the R version towards blacks and whites when they were pissed at them. Most of them weren't very eloquent.
    I’ve seen it too, but that to make a point of what the word means, and how it can apply to anybody. I imagine it’s probably the same for you, no?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How is one group using a word ok and other groups using the same word no ok?

How yeah, cause equality hypocrisy. How surprising.
    I don’t know. But generally if a yuppie yankee calls a Southerner a “redneck,” you’ll have problems. If a man calls a woman a “b-word,” Or “c-by,” you’ll have problems. If straight person calls a gay person a “f@g” you’ll have problems. If a non-Asian calls an Asian a “ch!nk” you’ll have problem... there are many other examples of groups using words in an insular endearing fashion, but they take offense when people outside their group, and unknown to them, use it. Do you need more examples or do you understand the point.

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I don’t know. But generally if a yuppie yankee calls a Southerner a “redneck,” you’ll have problems. If a man calls a woman a “b-word,” Or “c-by,” you’ll have problems. If straight person calls a gay person a “f@g” you’ll have problems. If a non-Asian calls an Asian a “ch!nk” you’ll have problem... there are many other examples of groups using words in an insular endearing fashion, but they take offense when people outside their group, and unknown to them, use it. Do you need more examples or do you understand the point.
    I would tend to agree with this. I often joke about myself with what would normally be considered ableist language, but if someone else who isn't a close friend referred to me in that way I would 100% not be on board with it.

Something else I found curious is something that happened in my intensive outpatient group the other night. I had to hold a client after group to talk about how he cannot use racial slurs during group. He apologized and stated that he doesn't think of the n-word as racially motivated, but rather thinks of it as meaning "any stupid person" since that's how he used it growing up. Obviously I'm not going to allow him to continue using it in our group setting, but found it interesting as this wasn't a take I had heard before.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the new Ignoere formay it works great!

Problem is I am only getting two posts per page now, with all of the woke peeps on here now.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm not following this convo hanging on every word posted, and have no desire to...but I think what "they" may be getting at, is that the "in-group" people should show solidarity with the concept, by stopping using the word themselves, if it's really that bad.

And I see that as a logically unassailable concept. If I take offense being called a redneck...then I should stop using it myself. And call out others in my "in-group" for doing so, as well.

Kinda like what the mentally disabled group has done with "their" word. They are consistent. They don't write songs using it, etc. It gives them a super-crisp, ironclad, morally-superior position from which to call out others using it. It's not right for anybody to use it. When people keep writing songs, using it as a term of endearment, etc., it undermines that.

Not everybody buys into "victimology" and the special word-use rights that come with it. You can argue all you want about how the identify of a person using a word changes the connotation, but intelligent people are never going to fully logically buy that if you keep defending using it as a term of endearment.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yeah, don’t believe that. I’m saying it my head, and it just doesn’t work in the way you’re saying. That or you dealt with a bunch of very eloquent sample seekers.
    You can believe what you want to believe, I lived it. I was also being vague because if I put on here what exactly all the things I was called it would get me a vacation.
    16 & Montcalm
    Montcalm & Burdsall Pkwy
    38th & Capital
    46th & Arlington
    22nd & Central
    Roosevelt & Hillside
    Many other locations in the city of Indianapolis.

Just a smattering of places and there was no eloquence, not when your head is on a swivel making sure you're not going to get ripped off or a knife stuck in your back.

And if a word is bad enough that it's forbidden to be spoken by any other race, then shouldn't it be forbidden all together?

Or our we going to go down that route of of "Fine for me, but not for thee".

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm not following this convo hanging on every word posted, and have no desire to...but I think what "they" may be getting at, is that the "in-group" people should show solidarity with the concept, by stopping using the word themselves, if it's really that bad.

And I see that as a logically unassailable concept. If I take offense being called a redneck...then I should stop using it myself.

No anyone that calls you a redneck should bc canceled (As in shot on the spot)

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence

And I see that as a logically unassailable concept. If I take offense being called a redneck...then I should stop using it myself. And call out others in my "in-group" for doing so, as well.

Kinda like what the mentally disabled group has done with "their" word. They are consistent. They don't write songs using it, etc. That. It gives them a super-crisp, ironclad, morally-superior position from which to call out others using it. It's not right for anybody to use it. When people keep writing songs, using it as a term of endearment, etc., it undermines that.

Not everybody buys into "victimology" and the special word-use rights that come with it.
    You're not in the in-group though... You're gonna tell other people how they should act just because you can't act the same way? good luck with that.

Also as far as mentally disabled people not using that word that's just wrong. I work with mentally disabled people, my job is to take care of them, and some use the "r" word or call each other autistic as a joke (even if one is actually autistic). They do not take offense when their friends are jokingly doing this but will take offense if people outside their group do. So unfortunately your analogy has collapsed on itself.

And "victimology"... your entire post seems like you turning yourself into a victim because you don't get to use the word...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    You're not in the in-group though... You're gonna tell other people how they should act just because you can't act the same way? good luck with that.

Also as far as mentally disabled people not using that word that's just wrong. I work with mentally disabled people, my job is to take care of them, and some use the "r" word or call each other autistic as a joke (even if one is actually autistic). They do not take offense when their friends are jokingly doing this but will take offense if people outside their group do. So unfortunately your analogy has collapsed on itself.

And "victimology"... your entire post seems like you turning yourself into a victim because you don't get to use the word...
    I don't want to use the word. Any of them. That's why I don't.

But nobody is going to logically take you seriously, as long as you keep using it. You're proposing different sets of rules for different groups, based on victim status. You can circle jerk with your disabled group around this concept all you want, I'm just telling you, that serious, intelligent people are going to consider you a joke because of it.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I don't want to use the word. Any of them. That's why I don't.

But nobody is going to logically take you seriously, as long as you keep using it. You're proposing different sets of rules for different groups, based on victim status. You can circle jerk with your disabled group around this concept all you want, I'm just telling you, that serious, intelligent people consider you a joke because of it.
    There's already different sets of rules for different groups. That's what different cultures...are. That's what it means to live in one society as opposed to another society. Or to be apart of a group as opposed to another group.

You can judge other groups or people as "jokes" as much as you want, and consider yourself as the more serious, intelligent person for it, but it sure sounds like a grand waste of time and you come off as supremely arrogant for it

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And both would have faded much further than they have had they been allowed to
    Oh I get your point, hypocrisy isn't isolated to one group.

FWIW, none of your other examples is considered anywhere near as serious as the topic at hand. Not remotely.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There's already different sets of rules for different groups. That's what different cultures...are. That's what it means to live in one society as opposed to another society. Or to be apart of a group as opposed to another group.

You can judge other groups or people as "jokes" as much as you want, and consider yourself as the more serious, intelligent person for it, but it sure sounds like a grand waste of time and you come off as supremely arrogant for it
    If you genuinely want these hurtful words to be stopped and taken seriously, I've given you the roadmap for how to get there. Asking people to accept un-logic is defeating your cause. Your actions are not in alignment with your stated objectives.

Argue with it all you want, I don't care. I don't use these words and don't want to, so I have no dog in this fight.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And both would have faded much further than they have had they been allowed to

Oh I get your point, hypocrisy isn't isolated to one group.

FWIW, none of your other examples is considered anywhere near as serious as the topic at hand. Not remotely.
    I agree, because those words haven’t seeped as deeply into American consciousness. The blame for that can be placed on bother the offender, and the offended person.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I’ve seen it too, but that to make a point of what the word means, and how it can apply to anybody. I imagine it’s probably the same for you, no?
    If you've seen it too, why did you say you didn't believe Indybeerman was called it? And if it can apply to anybody, it's no longer race specific so anybody should be able to use it, correct?

And what do you mean probably the same for you? Nevermind I think I figured out what you meant, and no. That's not how it appeared to me, they were simply using it as an insult. Nothing more and nothing less. The people I've seen using it, I don't believe most of them could reason out that far.

Honestly, call me dang near anything I won't have a problem with it. Although the reverse isn't always the same. I went camping with a guy from work and his family years ago. They were Hispanic, we got down there late and I found out it wasn't just "his family", his brother and his family and a couple of other of his relatives and their families. Since we got down there late while they were setting up I cooked dinner for my coworker and his family and his brother came by and had a burger because their was extra, then set up myself since I had a lot less to set up.

We were sitting around the campfire later and his brother had ran out of cold beer and had been drinking mine for the last hour, no big deal I brought plenty. He looks over at me and says "You know you're pretty cool for a cracker", I blinked and while not offended I was just a bit annoyed. So I replied back, "and you're pretty cool for a spic" with a pleasant smile on my face. To put it mildly he was not pleased. Several of his family got between us and kept him back and a couple of others came up to me and started asking me if I knew how offensive that was and on and on. I said yes I knew, but I was a bit annoyed that the guy that just at my food and had been drinking my beer for the last hour called me a cracker. They didn't quite get it at first.

And another question, why did you spell out redneck, but censor all the other ones? And what is c-by? Chubby?

I had to hold a client after group to talk about how he cannot use racial slurs during group. He apologized and stated that he doesn't think of the n-word as racially motivated, but rather thinks of it as meaning "any stupid person" since that's how he used it growing up. Obviously I'm not going to allow him to continue using it in our group setting, but found it interesting as this wasn't a take I had heard before.

I've seen blacks using the N word towards blacks and whites, Kut above states that he has as well. So I'd say in the present day your client would be correct.

Kinda like what the mentally disabled group has done with "their" word. They are consistent. They don't write songs using it, etc. It gives them a super-crisp, ironclad, morally-superior position from which to call out others using it. It's not right for anybody to use it. When people keep writing songs, using it as a term of endearment, etc., it undermines that.

Last edited:

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    If you genuinely want these hurtful words to be stopped and taken seriously, I've given you the roadmap for how to get there.

Argue with it all you want, I don't care. I don't use these words, so I have no dog in this fight.
    I'm not as confident in your roadmap as you are, but I, too, don't care to argue this much further either especially considering I appreciate most of your posts that I've read.
    I do have a dog in this fight though, so to speak... Maybe that's what drives our different views on the subject? Either way, peace to you

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom