• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This is probably in your local schools too.

People should bring this up at the next school board meeting and bring a mob.;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I don’t agree with either of those. Can I have a choice where the schools just teach kids the basics?
    Even if this was meant to be rhetorical, I think this is a question worth discussing.

Has there ever been a successful example of a school system that was able to remain completely neutral on matters of morality/religion?

Just my two cents, but it seems to me that human beings are innately driven to seek a higher purpose/meaning in life, and for those tasked with educating the next generation, it is nigh impossible to expect them to completely avoid anything that touches on the higher questions of life regarding things like religion, morality, one's identity, etc. So no, I don't think there's a third choice. Sure, you don't need to have religion class and mandatory prayer meetings in public schools, but if you don't allow room in education for a framework that has its foundation in Christian (or at least traditional, monotheistic, religious) principles, something else is going to come in to fill that void, whether it's radical environmentalism, gender ideology, or something else.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sure, you don't need to have religion class and mandatory prayer meetings in public schools, but if you don't allow room in education for a framework that has its foundation in Christian (or at least traditional, monotheistic, religious) principles, something else is going to come in to fill that void, whether it's radical environmentalism, gender ideology, or something else.
    So you'd be OK with using Islam as the foundation?

That meme IS giving the option of trannies or school prayer. Keep religious instruction at home, unless the child is actually attending a religious school.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That meme IS giving the option of trannies or school prayer. Keep religious instruction at home, unless the child is actually attending a religious school.
    With all we’re seeing with teachers in our schools these days, who wants to take a chance of having them doing any sort of religious instruction for your kids?

And I’m not even saying practicing one’s religion needs to stay at home.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Even if this was meant to be rhetorical, I think this is a question worth discussing.

Has there ever been a successful example of a school system that was able to remain completely neutral on matters of morality/religion?

Just my two cents, but it seems to me that human beings are innately driven to seek a higher purpose/meaning in life, and for those tasked with educating the next generation, it is nigh impossible to expect them to completely avoid anything that touches on the higher questions of life regarding things like religion, morality, one's identity, etc. So no, I don't think there's a third choice. Sure, you don't need to have religion class and mandatory prayer meetings in public schools, but if you don't allow room in education for a framework that has its foundation in Christian (or at least traditional, monotheistic, religious) principles, something else is going to come in to fill that void, whether it's radical environmentalism, gender ideology, or something else.
    Sure there is. I went through public schools in the 60s and 70s. No school prayer. No woke bull-****. Lets get back to that. Leave religion to families and churches, synagogue, mosques, temples, etcetera.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm not so much discussing at the moment what I would or would not be okay with, I'm simply saying that I think something is going to come in to fill the role of being the basis upon which the "bigger questions" of life are handled in education, even if they are only ever handle in an implicit, and not an explicit way. Islam certainly fits the bill in that it is an ideology that could fill that role, hypothetically.

That meme IS giving the option of trannies or school prayer.
    Yes, and to some degree, I think there is a level of validity to that point.

Keep religious instruction at home, unless the child is actually attending a religious school.
    I don't think schools need to have explicit religious instruction, but I also don't think it's good to have schools that are completely irreligious, either. Obviously, there's a balance that needs to be kept, but I don't see how it's a bad thing to let teachers, if they want to, invite their students to say a short prayer at the start of the day, or something like that. I know it can be really hard to micromanage and say exactly what crosses the line into religious indoctrination, but I think that completely eradicating any reference to God from public schools was a step too far, and the ideology of the left has come in to fill the void left behind.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you value your child's education enough to let other people pay for it, send them to public school.

If you value your child's education enough to pay for it yourself, send them to private school.

If you value your child's education enough to do it yourself, homeschool.

It doesn't have to be "this or that". It can be whatever you want it to be. It is all about how much you, as a parent, are willing to invest. The less you invest, the more decisions are made by others. The more you invest, the more control you have.

I'm not going to say what is right/wrong for your family. I WILL say that you have a significant amount of authority in your child's education, if you want the responsibility.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Sure there is. I went through public schools in the 60s and 70s. No school prayer. No woke bull-****. Lets get back to that.
    I guess I meant more of "in the long run."

It seems to me that the 60s and 70s were more of a transitional period, where they had only just really pushed Christianity out of the school system, and there hadn't really been time for another ideology to come in and fill the gap.

I admit that asking for an example of a religion-free/ideology-free school system that has lasted longer that a generation or so might be an unfair question, as I guess there hasn't been any real attempt, that I know of, to create one up until modern times. Maybe it could have worked out if people had worked harder to keep ideology out of education. But IMHO, it was a losing battle from the get-go. Though I admit, as a religious person myself, I'm probably biased in this regard.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No balance required in school. If you want that for your child, send them to a church school. That’s not to say that schools can’t touch on religion in the classroom. But if so it should be done in a neutral way. So teaching what various religions believe and practice is fine. Teaching kids to believe and practice is unacceptable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess I meant more of "in the long run."

It seems to me that the 60s and 70s were more of a transitional period, where they had only just really pushed Christianity out of the school system, and there hadn't really been time for another ideology to come in and fill the gap.

I admit that asking for an example of a religion-free/ideology-free school system that has lasted longer that a generation or so might be an unfair question, as I guess there hasn't been any real attempt, that I know of, to create one up until modern times. Maybe it could have worked out if people had worked harder to keep ideology out of education. But IMHO, it was a losing battle from the get-go. Though I admit, as a religious person myself, I'm probably biased in this regard.
    I don’t think wokeness came in to schools because something had to fill a void left by the absence of religion. It came in as a progressive strategy to indoctrinate children to be activists for an eventual revolution.

And frankly, it wouldn’t have mattered if there were religion in the schools anyway. Wokeness is doing a fine job of infiltrating churches. It would have just used whatever religious framework there was to their advantage.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you value your child's education enough to let other people pay for it, send them to public school.

If you value your child's education enough to pay for it yourself, send them to private school.

If you value your child's education enough to do it yourself, homeschool.

It doesn't have to be "this or that". It can be whatever you want it to be. It is all about how much you, as a parent, are willing to invest. The less you invest, the more decisions are made by others. The more you invest, the more control you have.

I'm not going to say what is right/wrong for your family. I WILL say that you have a significant amount of authority in your child's education, if you want the responsibility.
    and it goes even deeper than that. Just because your child goes to pubic schools doesn't mean you can' still have an impact on their learning. Help them. Interact with them. It's not a black and white world and never had to be.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I pay for public school with taxes.
    I can't afford private school.
    I can't afford to stay home and homeschool.

Religion should not be taught in public school.
    Personal beliefs should not be put forward in public school.

Many of the viewpoints put forth herein do not address ALL possible scenarios and are, therefore, all open to fair counter viewpoints.

For instance, the meme shared above juxtaposes what appears to be private religious school with what appears to be an individual of questionable life choices in a public school.

You can't use one example of extreme behavior as a model for the behavior of a whole group. One teacher in public school in California cannot be held up as an example of all public schools in all states.

Fire away fellas!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I pay for public school with taxes.
    I can't afford private school.
    I can't afford to stay home and homeschool.

Religion should not be taught in public school.
    Personal beliefs should not be put forward in public school.

Many of the viewpoints put forth herein do not address ALL possible scenarios and are, therefore, all open to fair counter viewpoints.

For instance, the meme shared above juxtaposes what appears to be private religious school with what appears to be an individual of questionable life choices in a public school.

You can't use one example of extreme behavior as a model for the behavior of a whole group. One teacher in public school in California cannot be held up as an example of all public schools in all states.

Fire away fellas!
    Public schools should just stick to preparing students with the academic skills needed for their next phase in life. They need to know how to communicate effectively. So language skills should be taught. They need math skills. They need to know how to think logically, so some philosophy is helpful. They need to know how the world works, how to interact with other cultures, religions, etcetera, so social studies is helpful. Beyond those subjects, leave religious training to families and churches.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom