• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Walked 3.1 miles this morning around my subdivision. Being 47 out was brisk to start but by mile two felt great. The cold shower after felt better. Had a 15 minute mile average for 3 miles but the last .1 was a calm down pace.

If I keep up this pace, I’m going to walk a 5k this fall. Need to build up endurance. Walked 9 miles over the past week.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If I keep up this pace, I’m going to walk a 5k this fall. Need to build up endurance. Walked 9 miles over the past week.
    You can do it!

My wife and I did 600 miles with fully loaded backpacks a few years ago. Started in the Pyrenees Mountains in SW France and walked the Camino to Santiago, then continued to the Atlantic. We are planning to fly to South East France and walk to our previous journey’s starting point in the Pyrenees and use that as our end point.

Put your mind to it. You can do anything.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Same thing here. Just feeling "off".
    Mine was less off, more flu like. Driving home from work yesterday it was everything I could do to keep my eyes open, got home, slept an hour, grabbed a shower, and back to sleep in my recliner until the wife woke me up to go to bed. Feeling much better now though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've had a couple good days, no problem 'closing my rings' lately. Coached at the local club Monday, down at Purdue/W.Lafayette on Tuesday, back at the local club last night. And each day I got in some treadmill time.

Weight is holding pretty firm in a pretty tight range, right around 174. I no longer feel fat. Wearing size 32 Wrangler causal pants this morning and feeling good about my body shape. Still looking for more muscle across the upper arms/shoulders but NOT working do build that muscle because I've been sort of sore with arthritis.

90+% of my workouts since my arthritis started flaring up before Thanksgiving have been simply treadmill fast walking, sometime walk & run. 10% of my time has been with the resistance bands. I need much more weight work.

On the bright side I finally got my new arthritis meds and hopefully the meds will start to work over the next couple of weeks. 2 stomach shots yesterday. 2 more in 2 weeks, 2 more in another 2 weeks. If that starts working then 2 every 4 weeks.

Did I mention that I have an irrational fear of needles? Not fun. I could never be a junkie. But if it stops my pain and fatigue I'll do it. But damn, F-me. I hate shots. Unless they are whiskey.

IMG_6574.jpeg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    No explanation for it but I've not had any prescription pain pills this week. I had my last dose of my old arthritis meds 10 days ago, first dose of my new meds on Wednesday of this week. This new injectable is supposed to take 6 to 12 weeks before I feel positive effects or even know if it is going to work.

But I'm feeling good. Closing all my rings this week.

I think I have created a new healthy lifestyle through daily repetition. Same routine.

Wake up about 5:30am, bathroom break, get on the scale, take morning medicine, go get an espresso in the kitchen, take my blood pressure, get another espresso and head down to the family room. Watch TV news, check INGO while drinking espresso #2, then do at least 30 minutes of workout.

That is pretty much my early morning routine almost every day for the past 6 months.

Figured out that it also had the side benefit of delaying my breakfast by several hours. I used to get my espresso and make food and just eat. Now I find that exercise actually abates my hunger, so I often eat very late breakfasts that are closer to lunchtime. Which then pushes my lunch to mid-afternoon. Which then lets me eat a light dinner about 6pm and go to bed without feeling hungry.

174# on the scale again this morning. Feel good about my weight.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Bought a pair of new Wrangers today, two sizes down . . .
    I just received 2 new gun belts. My old belts got to the point where they were wrapping another 1/2 way around me and looked like clown belts.

If you are downsizing pants, you will be downsizing belts soon.

FWIW, take a look at KORE ESSENTIAL gun belts. They have a ratchet system instead of the traditional 5 punched holes. Ratchet lets you adjust your belt to 1/4" increments. Their reinforced leather gun belt is flexible and comfortable and easily distributes the weight of a fully loaded G26. I also picked up one of their nylon web belts, which is twice as rigid as the leather and they claim it will carry full duty gear. I don't know about that since I don't do that, but it easily carries my Detonics CombatMaster all steel 1911 (34oz unloaded) in a Crossbreed IWB without me feeling the fatigue of carrying 2.5# of gun/ammo.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I just received 2 new gun belts. My old belts got to the point where they were wrapping another 1/2 way around me and looked like clown belts.

If you are downsizing pants, you will be downsizing belts soon.

FWIW, take a look at KORE ESSENTIAL gun belts. They have a ratchet system instead of the traditional 5 punched holes. Ratchet lets you adjust your belt to 1/4" increments. Their reinforced leather gun belt is flexible and comfortable and easily distributes the weight of a fully loaded G26. I also picked up one of their nylon web belts, which is twice as rigid as the leather and they claim it will carry full duty gear. I don't know about that since I don't do that, but it easily carries my Detonics CombatMaster all steel 1911 (34oz unloaded) in a Crossbreed IWB without me feeling the fatigue of carrying 2.5# of gun/ammo.
    My EDC belt is a Blade Tech, I've disassembled and shortened it twice now.

My big boy belt is an AWS SMU that is completely out of adjustment. I either have to drop $100 on a new one or do some heavy alteration.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My EDC belt is a Blade Tech, I've disassembled and shortened it twice now.
    The Blade Tech Ultimate Carry Belt and the KORE Essentials belts are pretty much the same thing. Both use a ratcheting type buckle, both are 1.5" reinforced belts and both are cut to fit systems. Both adjust in 1/4" increments too. I think KORE gives more leather and fabric color options and about a dozen buckle options from Western to tactical to dress designs, but that is just for appearance. Pricing is very similar too. So to my mind, pick the one you like and go with it.

I will say, that for those of us with shrinking waist sizes, both brand's systems are awesome because we only have to spend the money one time and the belt adjusts down with our waist.

For whatever it is worth, here are my KORE Essential belts:

tempImage8P7ZMn.jpg
    tempImagemtWOCm.jpg
    tempImageBOYbei.jpg

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    We won’t talk about what I did to that meat lovers pizza tonight… I’m not proud of myself…
    88pDVVe.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Another weekend with the foster son and fencing tournaments. So no workouts again. Really hate that. Snuck in 20 minutes of speed walking on the treadmill this morning. Getting ready to pack up the foster son and cart him off to daycare. I'll get in a real workout mid-morning. I lead fencing practice today at school so closing my rings should be pretty easy to do today.

Looks like my foreseeable routine is going to be NO weekend workouts, followed by full weeks of workouts.

FWIW, Saturday at the Great Lakes JV Championships, my saber boys took Silver, Bronze, 5th and 16th places out of 71 competitors. My saber girls took Bronze and 6th (50+ competitors). So I'm pretty happy with the results. Foil girls took Bronze, 5th and 8th place medals. (top 8 earn medals, over 70 in the competition).

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The wife and I decided we are heading down to the Smokey mountains in July. I’ve been scoping out hiking trails in the mountains, let me tell ya, I’m pretty pumped, a couple 3 mile trails with almost 1,500 feet of elevation gain, and an 8 miler with over 3,000 feet. Hiking in Indiana just isn’t going to hit the same after this :):

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Continuing to phase some running back in. Did 40 out of my usual 50 minutes at the end of a workout yesterday, 60 min on the bike and 10 minutes run today. Feels okay.

I do an exercise where I hang one foot off a stair and go slowly up and down with the opposite knee. It's a good pain gauge. Right still hurts more than left, but it hasn't gotten worse and is definitely better than a month ago. Knee and hip machines are in the rota now. I could totally do a full length run today, just maybe not for three or four or five days like I was yet. Last time I spent an hour on the bike hurt. Not today. Progress.

Dropped money on clothes this past week. Down from XL to L, from 42W to 38W. Had some 40W pants from Christmas, already a congratulations gift, that had to be exchanged.

Really hopeful that I can get recovered by April or May when outdoor running and biking really opens back up, and charge below 200.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Fell off the diet over the weekend. Which is normal as it is competition season. Saturday was not bad. Sunday was horrible.

Saturday Great Lakes H.S. Fencing Conference Individual Championships. Boys Saber - GOLD. Women's Saber - SILVER. So a good day.

Sunday I coached my Purdue University team at Notre Dame's DeCiccio Dual meet. We did OK, not any better or worse than expected given they only practice a couple days a week and get me as their coach about twice a month.

Lots of 'steps' but not much 'active' calorie burning during tournaments. And the coaches food is so bad that I actually went out to Burger King, got a bacon whopper, and feel that was healthier than the coaches food offerings. Starbucks on the way home. Pizza at home. So yesterday was not a diet day.

Back on the treadmill first thing this morning. Coaching this afternoon, which will include some lessons so I'll probably be sweating.

Top Bottom