• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have friends that have gone through drastic weight losses in a few months or a year. Don't see them for months and when you do they look emaciated. Sadly, the first thing that comes to mind is chemotherapy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have friends that have gone through drastic weight losses in a few months or a year. Don't see them for months and when you do they look emaciated. Sadly, the first thing that comes to mind is chemotherapy.
    I know it is sick, but I got tired of some of the comments, so one time I actually replied that Chemo is the best diet plan available, then turned and walked away.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got an 8 mile hike in this morning, felt like I was clawing my way through it a few times but I sure felt better afterwards. Hopefully I’ll hit the weights again tomorrow, two weeks off is just making me feel lazy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have been totally off my game for almost 2 weeks. Minimal exercise. Some days zero. Some days I get in 30 minutes. Only a few days have gotten a serious workout.

Most days I've been watching my food intake pretty closely but a few days not so much.

Saturdays are hard, I'm typically coaching fencing tournaments, as happened yesterday. The coach's room is never stocked with diet food. Then there are drive thru windows because these are typically 12 to 15 hour long days with travel.

I'm still in the 177# range, give or take 1#, on my daily weigh ins.

Much of my problem has been arthritis pain. It saps me of energy and motivation, the pain killers probably amplify my desire to NOT move. Hoping to get back to it tomorrow. Getting ready to do a short resistance band workout tonight.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

So he didn't actually refute the premise outright.

He simply said that people who don't do it right, gorging on Little Debbie snacks, etc are obviously a problem. But that seems obvious. Then he dismissed that whole issue that the study showed that they can correct for factors like food insecurity, smoking, etc, etc.

I'm not sure if it is good or bad or neutral. Really don't have enough evidence. I know it works for some, not for others.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    174.6# on the scale this morning
    BP 128/80
    19.43% body fat
    BMI 23.7
    Resting heart rate 65bpm

Not sure about the rest of you guys but 20 minutes of weight (resistance bands) workout has me feeling like jello

I've been stuck at 177# +/- 1 pound for several weeks so the overnight drop in weight down below 175# was a big shock. Not really looking to continue to lose weight as I have adjusted to trying to build muscle mass across my upper body, shoulders, arms. Originally my goal was to continue to drop down in weight. I feel it is reasonable to monitor and change goals based on health changes, body feeling, body changes, etc because that is what actually started me on the path to weight loss and better cardio health.

Sticking in the 1850 calorie per day routine. Trying to eat clean proteins and reduce carbs. Staying away from most beef. Lean pork, chicken, fish are my main proteins.

Using the AppleWatch to track my exercise (50 minutes per day), stand (15 hours per day) and move (700 calories per day).

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Sticking in the 1850 calorie per day routine. Trying to eat clean proteins and reduce carbs. Staying away from most beef. Lean pork, chicken, fish are my main proteins.
    Be careful cutting back too much on the carbs. You'll end up feeling like hammered dog crap. Stick with the complex carbs when you do take them in. Yesterday late afternoon I was feeling straight up like crap. Not really ill feeling but just tired and no energy or strength. I got to thinking about my intake for the day. I had 1 small GV vanilla yogurt and 2 scrambled eggs then 1 large chicken breast for lunch. Had drank 4 32oz bottles of water. That's all I took in for the day until I came home from work at 7pm. Basically I didn't take in any carbs and I was feeling it

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Be careful cutting back too much on the carbs. You'll end up feeling like hammered dog crap. Stick with the complex carbs when you do take them in. Yesterday late afternoon I was feeling straight up like crap. Not really ill feeling but just tired and no energy or strength. I got to thinking about my intake for the day. I had 1 small GV vanilla yogurt and 2 scrambled eggs then 1 large chicken breast for lunch. Had drank 4 32oz bottles of water. That's all I took in for the day until I came home from work at 7pm. Basically I didn't take in any carbs and I was feeling it
    Thanks. I have not gone KETO or eliminated carbs. Just cut back from my former eating habits that were heavy on processed pastas, rice, etc.

But it is a good warning to heed. Everything should be in balance.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    This past week has been one from hell at work. We're undergoing some significant changes, so I'm working more hours than I have in years. I missed my first scheduled workout on Thursday for the first time since I started my fitness routine. I thought I would make it up on Friday morning, but I was so drained I used the time for sleep instead of working out. I got back on track Saturday, but it was brutal. I was still feeling the effects of the week, but I powered through and got a decent workout in.

I did drop almost three pounds this week, but it wasn't done properly. I missed lunch three day this week, and one week I was so busy I didnt eat until dinner. I hope things get smoother this week. I don't know if I can handle many more like I just had.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got in a smidge under 8 miles this morning, started having a little pain in the back of my knee, normally I would just push through, but the last time I did that with that pain I hobbled around for two weeks, so I just turned around and went back to the truck. I did manage a 12 minute mile jog a quarter mile, walk as fast as I could, and repeat. Pretty happy with that time! Set my best average pace to date at 15:13.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've got bad shoulder pain, so currently not exercising. But before that, I was walking at least 10,000 steps per day, and I've got my nutrition under control with the help of a performance coach. Keep in mind I'm diabetic, so this is specific to me, but I'm on 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. And of course, getting good versions of all those macros, not junk.

Mostly I've just been walking my butt off the last 6 years, and doing my best to keep my eating under control, especially the carbs.

So, a year ago my A1c was 12.9, 3 months ago 7.9

Drumroll please...

7.2 - the nurse practitioner said it was awesome

Just went on Jardence (sp?) to get my B.S. down just the last bit I need.

Weight wise - I am now down to 184 lbs, my top weight was 278 lbs, years ago. Down to a 34 waist now. Haven't been this thin and slim for decades.

I've picked a BHAG for next years, complete an obstacle race. So, I'm entered into the Spartan 5K Sprint, Oct 2023.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yesterday was a fencing tournament, no exercise. And none yet today. But my arthritis is still acting up so I have a hard time getting all my "rings" closed on my AppleWatch every day (and that has been true for the past 30 days).

Mostly sticking with a low calorie diet, high protein, modest carbs. But yesterday, as with all fencing tournaments, that was not possible. I did manage to have some sort of a jumbo deep friend BurgerKing chicken sandwich with bacon + cheese. But I had so little other food during the day that I managed to stay under my 1850/calorie per day intake limit.

On the scale today at 175.5# so I'm pretty happy I've managed to maintain weight with a lower level of activity. Still need to BUILD muscles in upper body/shoulders/arms.

Size 34 Wrangler brand blue jeans fit perfectly. Size 34 Wrangler brand ATG casual outdoor pants actually fit very loose. Honestly should probably get Wrangler ATG pants in size 32.

I need a new gun belt.

I've got bad shoulder pain, so currently not exercising. But before that, I was walking at least 10,000 steps per day, and I've got my nutrition under control with the help of a performance coach. Keep in mind I'm diabetic, so this is specific to me, but I'm on 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carbs. And of course, getting good versions of all those macros, not junk.

Mostly I've just been walking my butt off the last 6 years, and doing my best to keep my eating under control, especially the carbs.

So, a year ago my A1c was 12.9, 3 months ago 7.9

Drumroll please...

7.2 - the nurse practitioner said it was awesome

Just went on Jardence (sp?) to get my B.S. down just the last bit I need.

Weight wise - I am now down to 184 lbs, my top weight was 278 lbs, years ago. Down to a 34 waist now. Haven't been this thin and slim for decades.

I've picked a BHAG for next years, complete an obstacle race. So, I'm entered into the Spartan 5K Sprint, Oct 2023.
    AWESOME, and my (now adult) daughter is a Type 1 diabetic, I can tell you that we have been tracking A1C levels in my home for almost 20 years, yes, a 7.2 is awesome. Doing a great job on weight, exercise, A1C, and overall health. Your story is motivational.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    One humongous difference has been my continuous glucose monitor. Freestyle Libre 3 - phone app, and you don’t have to scan it. I’ve been able to find how meals effect BS w/o having to prick every hour

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I really fell off the wagon yesterday and some today. Yesterday was my birthday and the wife/kids got me some gifts. Weber charcoal chimney, big bag of all pink starbursts and big bag of sour skittles. My favorites. Then made me my favorite lemon pound cake with cream cheese icing. Yep bad day man

Top Bottom