• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm up to 182# from 179 despite running a daily calorie deficit. I noticed my scrub top feels a little more snug around my shoulders and upper back. Packing on some muscle
    I expect some of that, eventually. Got to rid myself of the blubber. But I see a little definition in a my thighs and upper arms now. I think what you are seeing is normal.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I expect some of that, eventually. Got to rid myself of the blubber. But I see a little definition in a my thighs and upper arms now. I think what you are seeing is normal.
    I inject twice a week. If there's certain muscles I want to hone in on then I'll intentionally work that group vigorously 1-2 days after I pen since peak test levels will be 24-48hrs after injection.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Drove up to Chicago with a load of sport fencing equipment to meet another coach who works in the north suburbs of the city. She drove south and met me at a Potbelly's Sandwich Shop. Bought me lunch for helping her out. There is no actual diet sandwich at Potbelly's, I had the Mediterranean Chicken, probably a solid 450 calories, wouldn't surprise me if it was more. Fortunately I had a small breakfast and a then ate a low calorie dinner. Probably at/over my maximum 1700 calories for the day.

I'm lucky in the fact that I don't get much 'fast food' or have to eat my lunches out of the house, it lets me control my intake very well and still satisfy most cravings.

I think you folks who have to pack a meal or go out to lunch on the job probably have a much harder time dieting.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Drove up to Chicago with a load of sport fencing equipment to meet another coach who works in the north suburbs of the city. She drove south and met me at a Potbelly's Sandwich Shop. Bought me lunch for helping her out. There is no actual diet sandwich at Potbelly's, I had the Mediterranean Chicken, probably a solid 450 calories, wouldn't surprise me if it was more. Fortunately I had a small breakfast and a then ate a low calorie dinner. Probably at/over my maximum 1700 calories for the day.

I'm lucky in the fact that I don't get much 'fast food' or have to eat my lunches out of the house, it lets me control my intake very well and still satisfy most cravings.

I think you folks who have to pack a meal or go out to lunch on the job probably have a much harder time dieting.
    Potbelly's looks good. I see it on the many times I'm passing through DTW airport. Unfortunately, there's nothing on the menu that is consistent with whole foods/keto. Everything appears to be sandwich, and/or sauced. (I suppose that's by design?) It's a common problem for me at airports, which is why, as a rule, I try to align my travel days with fasting days. It just makes my life easier.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Potbelly's looks good. I see it on the many times I'm passing through DTW airport. Unfortunately, there's nothing on the menu that is consistent with whole foods/keto. Everything appears to be sandwich, and/or sauced. (I suppose that's by design?) It's a common problem for me at airports, which is why, as a rule, I try to align my travel days with fasting days. It just makes my life easier.
    Their idea of healthy sauce is to spread Hummus on a bun. Certainly more healthy than mayo, but the bun is probably the biggest problem with their offerings.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 9.38.48 AM.jpeg
    Got up early today.

75 minutes of exercise done this morning. 30+ minutes on the exercise bike running a 'mountain' resistance program and 40+ on the treadmill with a calorie burn alternating high speed/low speed program. Planning to get in at least another 30 minute session before I go coach the high school saber fencers this afternoon.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Their idea of healthy sauce is to spread Hummus on a bun. Certainly more healthy than mayo, but the bun is probably the biggest problem with their offerings.
    Legumes are no bueno for me. The mayo would be equally unhealthy, since it's made with industrial seed oils.

At some point, I'm going to experiment with making my own mayo, using olive or avocado oil. I've tried the store-bought ones (e.g. Primal Kitchen), and they all taste weird to me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The only legumes that I am starting to experiment with are lentils.

They are considered to healthy and have modest carbs and high protein relative to most plant foods. I have a recipe for Lentil Sloppy Joes that I want to try and as side dish items too.

Update on my day, apparently if i wake up before 4am, drink several shots of espresso, I tend to work out more than normal???

Not sure what got me up so early, but normally I have 2 shots of expression. I think today I had 4, maybe 5 shots between 5am and 10am.

Currently sitting at 156% of my Move goal + 181% of my Exercise goal. Pretty sure I'll end up setting 2 daily records today since I'll be teaching a high school beginning saber class with the new recruits for our school team, followed by an all age beginning saber class this evening at the local fencing club.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 11.02.54 AM.png.jpeg

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Another day, another no weight lost. Not sure what is going on, I suppose I’ve put on some muscle as my weight has gone up when I’m lifting, but I’ve been right around 230 for months. I’ve cut out dinner, or only had a little fruit for dinner, lowered calories, removed carbs. I don’t know, but I do know it’s getting pretty frustrating!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Another day, another no weight lost. Not sure what is going on, I suppose I’ve put on some muscle as my weight has gone up when I’m lifting, but I’ve been right around 230 for months. I’ve cut out dinner, or only had a little fruit for dinner, lowered calories, removed carbs. I don’t know, but I do know it’s getting pretty frustrating!

I only get weighed once per week for the exact reason you described. It's too frustrating to work as hard as we do and not see a change in weight. I haven't read back through the last several pages, but have you tried altering anything in your diet or exercise routine? A change that doesn't seem all that signifcant will sometimes kick start my metabolism.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I only get weighed once per week for the exact reason you described. It's too frustrating to work as hard as we do and not see a change in weight. I haven't read back through the last several pages, but have you tried altering anything in your diet or exercise routine? A change that doesn't seem all that signifcant will sometimes kick start my metabolism.
    Yep, I cut my breakfast calories in half, I cut out supper, or I have a couple pieces of fruit for supper. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, hike at least ten miles a week, and on my off days when I don’t lift I walk a few miles. I’m at a loss, I'm thinking about just pigging out one weekend and then jump back into the diet and see what happens!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Yep, I cut my breakfast calories in half, I cut out supper, or I have a couple pieces of fruit for supper. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, hike at least ten miles a week, and on my off days when I don’t lift I walk a few miles. I’m at a loss, I'm thinking about just pigging out one weekend and then jump back into the diet and see what happens!

That may not be as crazy as you think. I went overboard eating during the Colts first game, and I was scared to death what that would do to my week. To my surprise, I actually lost weight that way.

I also know you do a ton of miles, but have you considered mixing in some different types of cardio? Maybe jump rope instead of walk one night, or sprint some during your hikes.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That may not be as crazy as you think. I went overboard eating during the Colts first game, and I was scared to death what that would do to my week. To my surprise, I actually lost weight that way.

I also know you do a ton of miles, but have you considered mixing in some different types of cardio? Maybe jump rope instead of walk one night, or sprint some during your hikes.
    I could definitely stand to do more cardio, I’ve always done hill sprints while I hike, but I think I’m going to mix in some exercise bike sprints on my off nights and see if that helps. I might let loose of the reins a little this weekend and order a pizza and skip the chicken breast :lmfao:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Ate about 1200 calories yesterday.
    Set a new AppleWatch workout record yesterday.
    Set a new AppleWatch move record yesterday.
    Set a new AppleWatch stand record yesterday.
    Literally beat my old workout record by 30+ minutes, crushed my old move record by 30%

This morning I weight in 1 pound more than yesterday :runaway:

All I can say is that I better flush a 3 pound :toilet2: later today or I may investigate a new scale because I don't think mine will survive hitting the ground after being thrown out a second story window.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ate about 1200 calories yesterday.
    Set a new AppleWatch workout record yesterday.
    Set a new AppleWatch move record yesterday.
    Set a new AppleWatch stand record yesterday.
    Literally beat my old workout record by 30+ minutes, crushed my old move record by 30%

This morning I weight in 1 pound more than yesterday :runaway:

All I can say is that I better flush a 3 pound :toilet2: later today or I may investigate a new scale because I don't think mine will survive hitting the ground after being thrown out a second story window.
    Yep, that’s what happens to me. I go and hike 30 miles in a weekend, track my calories real close, and put on 6 pounds :wallbash:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Kinda of treating this as a cheat day.

I exercised, just enough. Not pushing myself. But "closing my rings" and nothing more.

Probably going to go over my calorie limit before the day is over, might hit 2000 calories (like a normal human) but not overly concerned. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

And Sunday I'm driving back to Purdue, and bringing a second coach, and with 2 of my high school students. It will be an active day coaching their fencing team. My high school senior is as good as any of the college fencers. The freshman is as bad as any of their beginners. But both will be fencing unfamiliar fencers and that will help them learn how to adapt during upcoming competitions. I will be busy giving lessons to the new incoming Purdue fencers. This is the first large group practice the newbies are to attend so it should keep me pretty busy and hopefully it will be helpful to the new students. Competition season starts in November.

Figure I'll burn quite a few calories working out with the newbies.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Today is my "official weigh day". I lost 4.6 pounds last week. I know that's a lot, but I did change my exercise routine, and probably more importantly, I made a decision to keep my calorie intake the same, but cut my carbs by at least 50%. I think these changes gave my system a good wake up call. If my pattern remains the same, I'll be lucky to lose half of a pound this coming week. What's odd is I skipped any kind of cardio Thursday and Friday, so seeing that much weight come off was definately a shocker.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Today is my "official weigh day". I lost 4.6 pounds last week. I know that's a lot, but I did change my exercise routine, and probably more importantly, I made a decision to keep my calorie intake the same, but cut my carbs by at least 50%. I think these changes gave my system a good wake up call. If my pattern remains the same, I'll be lucky to lose half of a pound this coming week. What's odd is I skipped any kind of cardio Thursday and Friday, so seeing that much weight come off was definately a shocker.
    In my experience, cardio generally puts on water weight for me.

sailinon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    I am so glad to see this thread. While struggling with weight for years I finally stumbled on the best advice ever and I don’t know where it came from but I believe it was attributed to a Navy SEAL.

I will paraphrase it here: “We would never say I’m going to lose 40 pounds in six months. What we would say is the next meal I eat is going to be the healthiest, portion controlled meal I’ve eaten in a long time. We say that at the next meal, and so on”

Weight loss has always been for me a mind game, and “the more I change the way I look at things, the more of the things I look at change”

I might want a cookie or to drink a six pack of beer, but what I want MORE is to climb the 1” 25 foot long rope at the next Obstacle Course Race ( I haven’t in 8 years been able to do that, and I am not getting any younger - I’m 52 now)

We all lose inches before we lose weight so I don’t obsess over the scale. For the first two weeks of any diet I don’t even get on the scale, I just concentrate on the process: Am I moving? When am I waking up? When am I going to sleep? What am I eating? What am I drinking?

Plus, I have a step app on my phone and I just try to make 10,000 steps a day. Some days I double it some days I don’t but if I don’t make 10,000 steps I don’t beat myself up over it. That is a huge change from what I would’ve done when I was in my 20s.

Good luck all members!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    In my experience, cardio generally puts on water weight for me.
    We're all different. After a good cardio session, I'll always be 2-3 pounds lightter than when I started, but I'll gradually put most of that back on rehydrating.

I was watching a video by Jay Cutler (bodybuilder) that said the best way to shed fat is cardio. When he was getting lean for competition, I beleve he said he did 45 minutes of cardo twice per day.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Weighed in this morning and hit a milestone. I'm half way to getting down below 200 lbs. Weighed in at 224, and this is the first time I've been below 225 in years. So I celebrated by going out to lunch with the wife and having the most amazing Coney dog with chili, mustard, and onions. I just cut back the rest of the day and still ended up under 2000 calories. Took the kids to the apple orchard, and finished the day with 3 hours of washing and waxing both vehicles. That should count towards some good cardio. Got almost 20k steps in today.

Top Bottom