• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Did a couple active coaching lessons yesterday. I have a couple more of those planned for this afternoon at the school.

Already got a good treadmill workout today. Alternating between walking and running. 6mph run, 3.2mph walk, and tossed in some 4mph fast walking. Kept alternating between those. Incline was varied also, 0, 2, 4 and 6.

Also ordered a 3rd new gun belt.

I am loving the KORE Essential belts with 1/4" adjustment increments. Main reason I ordered a 3rd belt is for looks. My original order was a dress leather gun belt + a tactical nylon web gun belt. The dress leather is actually too nice looking for some of my pants and I don't always like wearing a tactical web belt. So I picked up a BUFFALO HIDE belt that has more of a casual look to it. The KORE Essential belts are very well made, I now have 3 different styles of buckles (all can be interchanged) too. But not only are they rigid and easily spread the weight of and all steel 1911 around the waist, they are comfortable as dress and casual belts too. When a 2# gun carries like a feather you know you have found a winner.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For whatever it is worth, I am NOT doing the upper body workout that I really need to do for shape. I look thin across the biceps, shoulders and chest. But my arthritis pain seems to double the day after I do any sort of weight or resistance band workouts. Actually I think it is a combination of arthritis + muscle pain.

I'm averaging 3 mild opioids + a handful of Advil + a stiff shot of bourbon (at bedtime) to manage my daily pain I've decided to back off on the muscle building while my doctors test different medicines to control my arthritis.

Today is Tuesday so I gave myself 2 more shots in the stomach today. Not fun. But if it gets my arthritis under control I'm willing to try it so I can get back on some more intense workouts in the future. Got to adapt. Got to overcome. With any luck this medication will work and the doctor will cut me back to 2 shots, 1 time per month. Hopefully.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.48.39 PM.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Pretty much giving up on exercising. Not that I want to. But my arthritis just a constant problem now and my body is sore. Not the muscle soreness, but joint soreness. Pretty much sticking with the diet. My weight has crept up a couple pounds. Right about 175#.

Doctors started me on an injectable medication called Cimzia, but it takes 6 weeks to 3 months to actually start showing results. I'm on it for less than a month right now. Humira injections stopped working and I was on a double dose of that; whatever residual effect I was getting has worn off. So I'm on pain pills. What works best is a combination of a mild opioid + 3 ibuprofen, 2 to 3 times a day.

On a good day I will walk on the treadmill. But nothing on the rowing machine or the bike. No resistance bands or dumbbells. I'm not happy about an of this and really just want to get back to some daily exercise.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Had to go to the doctor Monday, been having issues with fatigue. Good news, my kidney function levels went up a couple points (stage 3b chronic kidney disease). My weight is up a few pounds from December though. Just need to get back to walking. Want to lose 24 more pounds from where I was Monday by July.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    For whatever it is worth, I am NOT doing the upper body workout that I really need to do for shape. I look thin across the biceps, shoulders and chest. But my arthritis pain seems to double the day after I do any sort of weight or resistance band workouts. Actually I think it is a combination of arthritis + muscle pain.

I'm averaging 3 mild opioids + a handful of Advil + a stiff shot of bourbon (at bedtime) to manage my daily pain I've decided to back off on the muscle building while my doctors test different medicines to control my arthritis.

Today is Tuesday so I gave myself 2 more shots in the stomach today. Not fun. But if it gets my arthritis under control I'm willing to try it so I can get back on some more intense workouts in the future. Got to adapt. Got to overcome. With any luck this medication will work and the doctor will cut me back to 2 shots, 1 time per month. Hopefully.

View attachment 251956
    I struggle with arthritis as well. Wife and I go to gym 3x a week to maintain as much flexibility as possible. Some days it goes well, about half the time it hurts during and after. Take 3 meds for it, no opioids. Have a lot of bedtime pain most days.

PSA: Never take your 12 year old grandson to the gym with you. He is 5' 10" already. He plays basketball and baseball. Throws a baseball at 70 MPH already. He tries every thing that I do. Leg presses 200+ lbs, did 3 100 lb curls the other day. My wife laughed at me when I was groaning at home......

Don

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    For those with arthritis, have you ever been tested for Lyme disease?
    I have not been but I was diagnosed at age 24, and I'm 62 now. I tested positive for RA factor long before Lyme disease was a big deal.

Back down to 173.1 on the scale this morning. Sore as hell but I was doing some home remodeling, I suppose wall demolition should count for some sort of exercise?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Honestly I'm doing ZERO exercise (not happy about that)

Arthritis is really kicking in.

I have not been on the treadmill in about a week. Not on the bike or rowing machine in 2+ weeks. No weights or resistance bands for the past 7 or 8 days.

Weight is creeping up. I've been a bit lax on my diet. Usually I eat well in the morning, modest calories, nicely balanced. But my downfall comes in the evening and the calories have skyrocketed a few evenings over the past couple of weeks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    173.4# on the scale today. So weight is staying off.

I'm happy to report that my new arthritis medicines, which require me to give myself 2 shots in the stomach, seem to be working. Finally. I noticed last week that my full body aches and pains began to diminish. 3 Opioids + 9 Advil per day diminished down to 1 + 3. And now just the over the counter meds on most days.

Resumed workouts again yesterday. Closed all my rings. Hoping that the continuation of the new meds continues to help. I still get sore but at least I am not living in daily pain. Hoping to continue the workouts every day.

Maybe push down into the upper 160's weight range? But for now glad to be back to workouts. Even when I couldn't workout I did a good job of sticking to the diet. Really look at all this as a total lifestyle change/upgrade and I have no desire to get on a gain/lose/gain/lose weight roller coaster.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My diet and exercise has been completely screwed up the last couple weeks. Mostly my own fault, some of it is my employer’s fault… mostly mine on the diet aspect. My mother in law passed so I’ve got 5 days in Michigan, so not looking to get things back on track until next week :facepalm: On the bright side my weight has stayed consistent.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My diet and exercise has been completely screwed up the last couple weeks. Mostly my own fault, some of it is my employer’s fault… mostly mine on the diet aspect. My mother in law passed so I’ve got 5 days in Michigan, so not looking to get things back on track until next week :facepalm: On the bright side my weight has stayed consistent.
    Sorry about the loss to your family.

I found that even when I was NOT following my diet there was always a sensible voice in the back of my head whispering to me to NOT over-eat. To push away the foster baby's leftover food and toss them into the trash instead of shoveling them into my gullet. I am still driving past the drive-thru windows without stopping. So I think the longer we are all at this process, the easier it becomes as it becomes more a part of our daily routines, more a natural routine.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Sorry about the loss to your family.

I found that even when I was NOT following my diet there was always a sensible voice in the back of my head whispering to me to NOT over-eat. To push away the foster baby's leftover food and toss them into the trash instead of shoveling them into my gullet. I am still driving past the drive-thru windows without stopping. So I think the longer we are all at this process, the easier it becomes as it becomes more a part of our daily routines, more a natural routine.
    Thank you

I’m not doing terrible by any means, there’s just too much of an abundance of sugary snacks and I’ve caved a few times. I don’t keep that stuff around at home, just a lot of fresh fruits to snack on so I don’t have to worry about it, but here there’s not much besides take out or typical snack food.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ... I’m not doing terrible by any means, there’s just too much of an abundance of sugary snacks and I’ve caved a few times. I don’t keep that stuff around at home, just a lot of fresh fruits to snack on so I don’t have to worry about it, but here there’s not much besides take out or typical snack food.
    That is my problem when I travel for fencing tournaments. I was coaching at the Junior Olympics in Denver on Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun and actually took some cups of oatmeal and tins of flavored tuna so I'd have breakfast in the room to keep me away from the big breakfast buffet in the hotel. I had lunches and dinners with the parents/students and that was at random restaurants within walking distance of the hotel so not really diet friendly.

Just have to do what we can do to limit the damage.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Coming up on 3 months. Knee still hurts. :( Not exactly the same pain but not gone, either. Managing about 1/3 the running mileage per week. Weight more or less the same.

Doing leg presses and knee/hip machines trying to make progress, plus more upper body and general exercises to fill the time vacated by running. Also continuing to sub in time on the bike. That's had some benefits. My warmup is up to 100 hand release pushups and 100 situps with no extraordinary effort.

I seem to do my best and most comfortable running at the end of my leg machine work. Not sure why. Seems to hurt more on the between days when I try to run.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Weight is up to 175.2, BP is at 121/80 with a heart rate at 72 this morning. I think the weight is up from pizza last night, and a large Poke Bowl yesterday at lunch, but the McDonald's drive-thru in the morning. I was coaching at Purdue. Long day, with a couple long drives. I'll probably poo out 2 pounds of happy meal sometime today.

Top Bottom