• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I really fell off the wagon yesterday and some today. Yesterday was my birthday and the wife/kids got me some gifts. Weber charcoal chimney, big bag of all pink starbursts and big bag of sour skittles. My favorites. Then made me my favorite lemon pound cake with cream cheese icing. Yep bad day man
    I don’t think anyone would think bad of you for caving to lemon pound cake :drool:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We won’t talk about the pecan pie my sister makes… I already plan to add a couple pounds for Christmas
    I pre-planned for my Birthday celebration(s) and for Thanksgiving.

Knowing I wanted to eat "guilt free" I simply over-worked-out and under ate for a few days BEFORE each of the planned celebrations. And I got back into it right after each celebration ended.

No harm, no foul.

We can't live like we are starving ourselves or depriving ourselves of the basic joys of life. On the other hand, OVER-DOING IT, brought us to this point. We need to find that balance point and figure out how to stand on top of that point for our long term health.

I think I am getting pretty close.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I pre-planned for my Birthday celebration(s) and for Thanksgiving.

Knowing I wanted to eat "guilt free" I simply over-worked-out and under ate for a few days BEFORE each of the planned celebrations. And I got back into it right after each celebration ended.

No harm, no foul.

We can't live like we are starving ourselves or depriving ourselves of the basic joys of life. On the other hand, OVER-DOING IT, brought us to this point. We need to find that balance point and figure out how to stand on top of that point for our long term health.

I think I am getting pretty close.
    Moderation is key to sustainable healthy habits. I’ve learned to have one piece of pie and walk away, a few years ago 2 or 3 pieces would have been normal. While I did splurge a little at thanksgiving, like you, I didn’t let that break in healthy and moderate eating throw me off, enjoy, then get back to it.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Psychological, it's better if you don't hold yourself up to perfection. Better to be 80% on a plan, then get discouraged by trying to be perfect, fail and quit. That's what my performance coach taught me at least. A lot of the work is reframing your relationship with food, ie not eating because you are emotional, stressed, bored. Who doesn't like "comfort food" no matter what that term means for you.

Planning ahead is one way, holding off on calories, or bumping up activity to make up differences. Plan to have TREAT DAYS, not cheat days, to give yourself something to look forward to, a reward for being good. Also to reframe it as a positive.

Learning the difference between feeling hungry versus actually needing to eat. This was something he harped on with the guys in the training group. Takes up to 3 weeks to actually starve to death, so those rumblings you feel aren't the end of the world. You can go to bed hungry with your belly grumbling.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is a horrible time to try to stay fit. Lots of events that are full of low activity. I am 2 lbs up in the last 2 weeks.

I attended 4 eating centered social appointments in the last 5 days, and we are guests at 5 more this week, including two on Thursday. Add the sitting for car trips and the sitting for two plays and a concert. I am still on the 5 mile per day walking discipline, and the midwest climate has taken the pleasure out of the outdoors walks even when I can squeeze them in.

I never thought I would be a Grouchy Old Man, but here I am nailing it!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Psychological, it's better if you don't hold yourself up to perfection. Better to be 80% on a plan, then get discouraged by trying to be perfect, fail and quit. That's what my performance coach taught me at least. A lot of the work is reframing your relationship with food, ie not eating because you are emotional, stressed, bored. Who doesn't like "comfort food" no matter what that term means for you.

Planning ahead is one way, holding off on calories, or bumping up activity to make up differences. Plan to have TREAT DAYS, not cheat days, to give yourself something to look forward to, a reward for being good. Also to reframe it as a positive.

Learning the difference between feeling hungry versus actually needing to eat. This was something he harped on with the guys in the training group. Takes up to 3 weeks to actually starve to death, so those rumblings you feel aren't the end of the world. You can go to bed hungry with your belly grumbling.
    That all makes a lot of sense. I’m a bored eater, gotta chew gum to help keep it off my mind, and I keep a lot of fruit laying around, I figure it’s better to snack on an apple or banana than some ice cream or chips.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    That all makes a lot of sense. I’m a bored eater, gotta chew gum to help keep it off my mind, and I keep a lot of fruit laying around, I figure it’s better to snack on an apple or banana than some ice cream or chips.

Nuts, cheese and meat are better snacks than carbs for my blood sugar.

Since starting on the new medicine, I've actually had a couple of low blood sugar alarms, and can tell when it's going down much more accurately than before. Only week 2 of that, so still adjusting.

To give you an idea of how well the CGM is keeping me in check: the 70-180 zone is the sweet spot for me.

Days<54%54-69%70-180%181-250%>250%
    7 Days009370

Those P3 snacks, and the like, are great on the run, and I've duplicated them at home. I already have a kitchen scale, so measuring out portions to get the macros close is just math. And let me tell you, weigh portions so you get a sense of how much of what you should be eating. Makes a big difference.

1670939503261.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am a car eater. Live in a rural area past the edges of the suburban sprawl. Running errands tends to be 30 minutes drive to anywhere, often farther. And daily activities can include multiple trips along the fringe of the suburban/urban sprawl. So I end up tempted by every possible drive-thru window. I was in the car for nearly 6 hour yesterday.

I typically drive with a container that contains some combination of peeled carrots, chunks of celery, sugarsnap pea pods, small cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and sometimes grapes.

Trying to stay away from the grapes since they are really high in carbs but they are easy car food and hydrating too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    FWIW the cardiologist is happy with me. Had a follow up this morning. Don't need to go back for 6 months. He said he may cut me back to 1 visit a year. My morning weight was 173.8#, my office visit weigh-in was 178.0# (shoes, jeans, shirt). He was happy with that. Said to stay under a BMI of 25.

Said that cardio (walking, bike, rowing) is better for me than resistance bands but understood why I wanted to use the bands to bulk my arms/chest/shoulders.

Said to continue low fat, low carb. Continue to stay away from most red meat, stick with fish & fowl for most of my protein. Olive and avocado oils for healthy fat. Avoid fructose carbs as much as possible.

I can probably INCREASE my food intake to reduce/eliminate weight loss and work to maintain my weight.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got a good session in tonight! 10 exercises, total weight of 19,395 pounds lifted, not counting body weight that included 60 push ups, 60 sit ups, and 36 Bulgarian split squats.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Definitely hard to stay motivated with the holidays.

I'm missing some of my goals. Probably only hit my 50 minute per day exercise goal about 50% of the time over the past 2-3 weeks. Got 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning at a good pace.

Sticking to the calorie intake goal of 1850/per day about 95% of the time. The days that I've gone over have been fairly modest overages. Some days I'm way under, so that balances out pretty well.

Weight has been holding steady. But now I'm constipated so unless I take a massive dump soon nobody will be able to tolerate my mood because I'm a pretty crabby person right now.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Definitely hard to stay motivated with the holidays.

I'm missing some of my goals. Probably only hit my 50 minute per day exercise goal about 50% of the time over the past 2-3 weeks. Got 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning at a good pace.

Sticking to the calorie intake goal of 1850/per day about 95% of the time. The days that I've gone over have been fairly modest overages. Some days I'm way under, so that balances out pretty well.

Weight has been holding steady. But now I'm constipated so unless I take a massive dump soon nobody will be able to tolerate my mood because I'm a pretty crabby person right now.
    A couple glasses of grape juice will fix you right up, at least it always cleaned me out when I was a kid :lmfao:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My knee is definitely jacked up. Clicks, pops, moves around, aches when I stand or sit in one place too long. Hurts to run. I picked up a knee brace, it helps with walking but running ain't happening for a while. So far I haven't gone anywhere to get it looked at, pretty sure the answer will be "you broke it running, stop doing that".

So I guess I gotta find something else to fill that calorie hole now. I can still walk, can still swim, can still spend some time on the exercise bike, and have new knee/hip strengthening exercises to do. But this really sucks. Runs and long hikes and rucking is, like, my whole thing. If this ain't resolved by spring there's gonna be a whooooole lot of stuff I don't get to do anymore. :nailbite:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My knee is definitely jacked up. Clicks, pops, moves around, aches when I stand or sit in one place too long. Hurts to run. I picked up a knee brace, it helps with walking but running ain't happening for a while. So far I haven't gone anywhere to get it looked at, pretty sure the answer will be "you broke it running, stop doing that".

So I guess I gotta find something else to fill that calorie hole now. I can still walk, can still swim, can still spend some time on the exercise bike, and have new knee/hip strengthening exercises to do. But this really sucks. Runs and long hikes and rucking is, like, my whole thing. If this ain't resolved by spring there's gonna be a whooooole lot of stuff I don't get to do anymore. :nailbite:
    A recumbent bike can actually help some knee problems. If you have access to a recumbant don't set the resistance very high. If you feel any pain back it down. Maintain about 75 rpms during your sessions. If it's gonna help the kind of knee issue you have, you should start noticing results in a few weeks. It helped mine. But first you might want to see a doctor to make sure your issue won't be made worse.

Top Bottom