• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I did weights and cardio yesterday, then worked outside in the yard for over five hours. I felt fine when I woke up this morning, but when I got to the gym today it was a different story. I normally do kettle ball swings as my first excercise to warm up and get the blood flowing before hitting the heavy weights. After my third swing on the first set my body let me know just how tired it was from the day before. I pushed through the routine, and I was miserable, but I made it. In retrospect, this should have been a recovery day, but I have trouble letting a Saturday or Sunday go by without hitting the gym. I'm now going to go have a plate of eggs taller than a midget's ass and some turkey sausage as a reward.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Welp, I just completely gave up Friday evening and Saturday. I didn’t make any effort toward exercise or diet, not real proud of myself for it, but I feel like that break from my diet might have done me some good, unfortunately I went hiking this morning and could definitely tell I filled the tank with the cheapest fuel I could instead of the good stuff. To add to that Friday and yesterday I was feeling under the weather, but I pushed through it, hiked my miles, got some decent mile times, I think miles 2-6 were 15.3 give or take, with then30 pound pack. Ran my hills, got the old ticker up to the redline, and managed not to yack up all my bad decisions from this weekend.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    And a thought I had while hiking, could not consuming enough calories lead to weight retention?
    For example:
    My caloric intake
    58CA52BC-0D17-4F75-BD4B-36561392A8C4.jpeg
    My calories burnt for the same day
    69903BD4-779A-4284-9698-2E573046017C.jpeg
    Now this is just one day in the grand scheme, but if on the average day I’m only consuming around half of my calories burnt, would the body try to hold onto that weight?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Was down another 1.2 lbs this morning. I was getting frustrated a week ago because I just couldn’t budge past the plateau no matter how hard I worked. It’s finally starting to show on the scale now, and I’ve gone down 5 lbs in the last week. Going to eat lunch then go on a 3 mile walk with the wife later.

Stick with it even if the scale is not being nice. The hard work will eventually pay off.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Was down another 1.2 lbs this morning. I was getting frustrated a week ago because I just couldn’t budge past the plateau no matter how hard I worked. It’s finally starting to show on the scale now, and I’ve gone down 5 lbs in the last week. Going to eat lunch then go on a 3 mile walk with the wife later.

Stick with it even if the scale is not being nice. The hard work will eventually pay off.
    Nice dude :banana:

Obsessing over the daily scale can drive you mad. Cultivate good habits and stick to a plan and success will follow.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yep, I cut my breakfast calories in half, I cut out supper, or I have a couple pieces of fruit for supper. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, hike at least ten miles a week, and on my off days when I don’t lift I walk a few miles. I’m at a loss, I'm thinking about just pigging out one weekend and then jump back into the diet and see what happens!
    Why are you cutting out carbs? Carbs aren't always a bad thing. They typically are for the average person cause they're not exercising and working out. But those carbs will help you with energy levels during your work outs and hikes. I'm not saying to carb out on bad carbs like soda pop. There's lots of good carbs out there to feed you during long periods of exertion. You cut out most of your carbs long enough then you'll start to notice yourself not being able to do as much as before

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Why are you cutting out carbs? Carbs aren't always a bad thing. They typically are for the average person cause they're not exercising and working out. But those carbs will help you with energy levels during your work outs and hikes. I'm not saying to carb out on bad carbs like soda pop. There's lots of good carbs out there to feed you during long periods of exertion. You cut out most of your carbs long enough then you'll start to notice yourself not being able to do as much as before
    Good point, my carbs consist of steel cut oats that I add bananas and peanut butter, then an apple for lunch which I still eat. I’m still eating a couple bananas for breakfast, just replaced the oatmeal with eggs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Odd day for me.

Got up early but the foster baby is sick so I didn't get any workout in this morning. Had to get to the fencing club to meet up with 2 students and another coach, all drove down to Purdue/Lafayette with me for the practice today. I needed something in my belly before the 1.5 hour drive down to Purdue, I totally forgot my "car snacks" in my rush to get out the door. Car snacks for me are cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, pea pods and grapes. But with my morning screwed up by a sick baby I ended up pulling thru a McDonald's drive thru and grabbed a bacon/egg/cheese bagel for breakfast.

After fencing practice we went to grab a late lunch, had a bacon, blue cheese & grilled onion burger. Damn good. But probably 700 calories!

Skipped dinner, largely because I wasn't hungry after the late lunch and just finished up my workout because 3 hours of coaching fencing did not 'close my rings' on my AppleWatch.

Weight is hovering around 186 for a couple days, after dipping down to 185 for one day and then back up to 188. So curious to see what this coming week brings.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Got on the exercycle. Lasted about 6 minutes into my normal 30 minute workout. WTF? I've closed my rings every day for 56 straight days. Maybe today should be a rest day.

How often do you guys/gals take a rest day? 1 day a week? Every 4th day? Never?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got on the exercycle. Lasted about 6 minutes into my normal 30 minute workout. WTF? I've closed my rings every day for 56 straight days. Maybe today should be a rest day.

Last week I took two in a row :facepalm: Didn’t really want to but really wasn’t into it and decided it wouldn’t do any harm. I also failed to close my rings the day after my birthday, although that one wasn’t planned, we just got busy. Before that I had something like 110 of closing all my rings. I don’t necessarily take a rest day, usually just a more relaxed workout like walking a few miles but at a more relaxed pace.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

I haven't developed a set pattern. I work out with weights four times per week, and usually do five days worth of cardio. Sometimes I can get both the weights and cardio in the same day, and sometimes I have to spread it out. There's never been a week where I've had more than two complete off days

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    "Off Days" is one thing about my routine that I need to take a look at. My muscles aren't growing like I wish they would. Something is not right. Either I'm not eating properly, I'm eating at the wrong times, I'm exercising wrong, or I'm not getting enough rest. I'm going to start tweaking some things to see if that changes anything.

The important thing is the weight is coming off steadily, and that was the main goal. My days of chasing a 400 pound bench press are over. Looking good and being healthy is the main thing, so if I never gain another ounce of muscle, but I hit my target weight, I'll be thrilled.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    "Off Days" is one thing about my routine that I need to take a look at. My muscles aren't growing like I wish they would. Something is not right.
    . . .
    The important thing is the weight is coming off steadily, and that was the main goal. My days of chasing a 400 pound bench press are over. Looking good and being healthy is the main thing, so if I never gain another ounce of muscle, but I hit my target weight, I'll be thrilled.
    My wife actually urged me to NOT stop and that sent me to my exercise equipment. Closed my exercise and movement rings. And then I continued a little longer after that.

My muscles are not growing. But that is not really my goal. I want to get rid of the excess fat. Most of which was belly and man-boob fat. My harms are trim, as are my legs. But after dropping 20# I still have a flabby belly/chest.

I started this journey due to a partial arterial blockage, combined with high blood pressure. Hoping to back down on the BP meds as the weight continues to drop. Hoping not to need open heart surgery. So health, not muscles, is my motivation.

I've been 'closing my rings' for 57 days in a row, no 'off days' yet. My exercise ring is 60 minutes of exercise/workout. So my easy day would be roughly 30 minutes of outdoor walking at a brisk pace and then about 30 minutes on the exercise bike or rowing machine.

Funny thing is that my AppleWatch doesn't count most of my fencing coaching as 'active workout' because i'm right handed, wear the watch on my left wrist. So I spend a couple hours hitting surly teenagers with a 3' metal stick at a practice and my watch will show that, at the end of a 2 or 3 hour practice, I got 'steps' but not very much 'active' exercise despite the fact that I spend a good bit of that time sweating like a pig.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 6.40.43 AM.jpeg

I believe that I have earned the right to go to White Castle and get some burgers.

Apparently regular hitting of smart mouth and surly teens with 3' metal sticks is good for my fitness. Its good to be coach! Still looking to get down to 177# by Christmas. But interim goal of 185# by mid-October seems to be pretty much an official achievement.

I still have high visceral fat levels around my organs, that is the health issue that I still have, it is apparently why I have a partial arterial blockage, the visceral fat is slowly decreasing. The blockage won't decrease, but the visceral fat will decrease. Beef has been dramatically reduced from my diet. Ditto pork. Replaced mostly by fish. Noodles are gone. Replaced by cauliflower or palm 'noodles' or Konjak noodles. Rice is pretty much eliminated. Drive thru windows replaced with a bowl of carrots, celery and sugar snap peas that accompany me in the car when I am out running errands.

I don't do "cheat days" on food but I will do a partial cheat meal if I had a low calorie day. Last night I got home from high school fencing practice, my wife had some BBQ polish sausage, cheesy bread sticks, etc. Clearly not on my diet. I was hungry. Had a modest size piece of sausage and 1 piece of cheesy bread. Calculating it out, probably still ended up under 1600 calories for the entire day.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I carbed out last night on 4 pieces of pizza at the supper table. So I ripped my chest and triceps out afterwards with dumbbells. Been really disciplined on extra protein intake and calorie deficit. My waist is a tad smaller but my overall weight is up 4lbs

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Got up super early today and got a workout plus cardio done. I'm taking tomorrow off completely. I've pushed myself pretty hard this week and I feel run down. I've hit the weights four times and ran six days in a row for over 18 miles.

A small complaint I have, and it's really a good problem, is that I'm burning through clothes like crazy. Summer wasn't bad because I could slowly get new clothes as I needed, but I have almost no cold weather gear that fits anymore. Its all way too baggy. I'll be modeling Walmarts Fall Line Up until I can get my weight where I want it. Bedford Goodwill is making out like a bandit. I've hauled two big bags of stuff down there already. There's a smartly dressed fat man running around Lawrence County somewhere.

Top Bottom