• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I lost 3.2 pounds this past week. It was amazing how much harder and longer I could push myself doing cardio once the weather cooled down.

It's a crappy morning weather wise, so I'm going to take this opportunity to sit down and revamp my exercise routine. I've been on my current program for almost three months and honestly the workouts are starting to get a little boring and stale. Time to add in some new exercises or variations of current ones.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I lost 3.2 pounds this past week. It was amazing how much harder and longer I could push myself doing cardio once the weather cooled down.

It's a crappy morning weather wise, so I'm going to take this opportunity to sit down and revamp my exercise routine. I've been on my current program for almost three months and honestly the workouts are starting to get a little boring and stale. Time to add in some new exercises or variations of current ones.
    The things that kill exercise are injuries and boredom. Good move :patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I haven’t had enough coffee for a two poop morning yet, but I’m working on it :lmfao:
    First poop was BEFORE my coffee!

Got in 30 hard minutes of workout on the exercise bike. Normally I use the programmed resistance to so a "hilly ride" but this morning I tried a 'cross training' ride and it was much harder. Hilly ride transitions between 'hills' and 'valley's' slower. The 'cross training' program alternates between peaks and dips with no transition at all. Much tougher ride. During the dips I would pick up 6# dumb bells in each hand and pump them while riding the lower resistance but I could not keep up the pace with the dumb bells pumping during the peak portions of the ride. Maybe if I had switched to 4# dumbbells I might have been able? But I was honestly happy to put down the 6# weights.

3rd day in a row on the scale below 190#! (after the 1st poop but before the 2nd one)

Folded up the Stair Stepper machine to make room for my new, inbound rowing machine. It is due to arrive on Wednesday. Busy coaching schedule next week, but I'm hoping to assemble it on Thursday morning and move the treadmill and exercise bike to put the new, and larger, rowing machine into its new spot. I don't want it where the current smaller rowing machine sits and I'm hoping the new spot works out.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I need 12 more minutes of exercise to ‘close my ring’ and meet my 60 minute goal. My muscles feel like jello. I’ve been out sealing the driveway, can barely move. But I’m determined to put in the last 12 minutes. Just not sure how much that 12 minutes will hurt! I know it will hurt. But how much? And what condition will I be in tomorrow? Honestly no way I can do it on the rowing machine, the bike will try to push me, so I’m thinking a 12 min walk on the treadmill just to BARELY meet my 1 hour exercise goal for the day.

I got the calorie/move goal doing the seal coating. I got the stand goal done too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Did it. 12 minutes, actually did 13. It felt like torture. My worst day ever. But I’m so close to my first goal (185# by Mid-Oct) that I’m not quitting. Even my ultimate goal of 177# by Christmas seems within reach. Quitting now would be foolish.

As much as it hurts today I’m feeling better, breathing better, moving better, moving longer. Health is under-rated!!!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I got off track a little yesterday. We went out to watch IU get curb-stomped and I ended up having a hot ham and cheese sandwich with fries along with a couple of beers. I felt guilty all night, and when I got to the gym this morning, I was going to make myself pay the price. When I stepped on the scale after a pretty intense workout, I was pleasantly surpsied to see I was down fourth tenths of a pound from yesterday, and that's after drinking a ton of water along with a protein shake. I don't think I did too much damage.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    187.7 on the scale this morning so my weight is holding below 190# for another day. 185# by mid-October is within reach.

Not too sore today from the driveway sealing project, so that is a good thing! But even wearing gloves I have a few blisters. I was miserable all evening yesterday with muscle pain and arthritis joint pain after spreading the sealer over the driveway. Seems like it should be an easy job but I used the thickest sealant I could find, takes a good bit of effort to work it across the driveway to properly seal.

I'm on baby sitting duty most of the day but I should be able to turn on cartoons and get my exercise in while our foster son Kobe is occupied with Cocomelon or Thomas the Tank Engine. I can use the equipment and still keep an eye on him while he is playing because the exercise area is in the same room as many of his toys, but separated by a big couch. So it should let me do my thing while he does his.

I'm pretty motivated today, possibly because I'm not in pain like I was yesterday.

I still have basic exercise equipment listed for sale in the classifieds. Simple resistance recumbent bike + a basic piston rower + a basic piston stair stepper ... all 3 for $200. Going to list it on facebook marketplace if I get no offers here soon.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    187.7 on the scale this morning so my weight is holding below 190# for another day. 185# by mid-October is within reach.

Not too sore today from the driveway sealing project, so that is a good thing! But even wearing gloves I have a few blisters. I was miserable all evening yesterday with muscle pain and arthritis joint pain after spreading the sealer over the driveway. Seems like it should be an easy job but I used the thickest sealant I could find, takes a good bit of effort to work it across the driveway to properly seal.

I'm on baby sitting duty most of the day but I should be able to turn on cartoons and get my exercise in while our foster son Kobe is occupied with Cocomelon or Thomas the Tank Engine. I can use the equipment and still keep an eye on him while he is playing because the exercise area is in the same room as many of his toys, but separated by a big couch. So it should let me do my thing while he does his.

I'm pretty motivated today, possibly because I'm not in pain like I was yesterday.

I still have basic exercise equipment listed for sale in the classifieds. Simple resistance recumbent bike + a basic piston rower + a basic piston stair stepper ... all 3 for $200. Going to list it on facebook marketplace if I get no offers here soon.
    I’ll show the wife and see if she’s interested, she’s got a bike but she doesn’t like it, I think she was looking for more of a stationary bike.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got in 6.65 miles at turkey run this morning, took my nephew, who is 23 and should know better but was talking smack about how he wanted to do ten miles, after about 4 he wasn’t to keen on that anymore, probably didn’t help that he was hiking in work boots, but he made it without calling in the helicopter to rescue him :):
    I increased my pack weight to 32 pounds. That jump in weight sure was evident for a little while, felt a little off balance but got used to it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I increased my pack weight to 32 pounds. That jump in weight sure was evident for a little while, felt a little off balance but got used to it.
    Just curious what type of pack you are using. Does it have some sort a real suspension system? 32 pounds wouldn't be too bad with a suspension system pack but would be brutal without one.

Also, while my mind was highly motivated today, my legs were NOT motivated. Got in 30 tough minutes on the exercise bike. But had to stop. I'll finish with a second workout later, but even after a couple hours, my legs are still complaining.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Just curious what type of pack you are using. Does it have some sort a real suspension system? 32 pounds wouldn't be too bad with a suspension system pack but would be brutal without one.

Also, while my mind was highly motivated today, my legs were NOT motivated. Got in 30 tough minutes on the exercise bike. But had to stop. I'll finish with a second workout later, but even after a couple hours, my legs are still complaining.
    It does have a hip belt, it’s the slumberjack pack they sell at Walmart, I bought it basically to learn on, and for a pack to train with. One drawback that I definitely don’t like is I constantly have to fiddle with the adjustments, well, and I don’t feel like the hip belt carries the load like it should, but it’ll do for now. I’ll look it up and see what info I can find about it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I’m not sure what a suspension system would look like, to be honest, it has the hip belts and load straps.
    View attachment 226374
    That looks like it probably has a modern internal suspension system. Basically there are a few different styles. Probably most common are wire frames or poles. A couple poles, or a wire rectangle in the back of the system and runs from the waist belt up to the attachment points on/near the shoulder strap attachment points. There are also some suspension 'sheet' systems in use on some pack, a fairly rigid plastic or thin plywood sheet is used, much the same way the wire or pole system is used, and in all these types it is essentially hidden in the fabric of the system, but it is easy enough to feel with your hands, some are removable.

For whatever it is worth, packs are rated for different weights by many of the manufacturers. At least the serious packs are advertised for various types of work and various load ranges.

Heavy hauling packs that hold the weight closer to your spine typically carry more weight COMFORTABLY and are use for heavy hauling. But the sacrifice comes in ventilation and back sweat. Mesh trampoline systems are used on a lot of packs to increase ventilation and wearer comfort, but that pushes the pack away from your body and those packs are designed for LIGHTER loads.

I was on a 600 mile hike using a pack designed for very light loads, carrying about 25# in my pack (varied daily due to water requirements). After 5 or 6 days I went into a city with a decent hiking store and bought a pack designed to carry 30 to 40# loads and donated the lighter duty pack to a convent that aided hikers. The change in the pack made carrying 25# effortless for the next 530-ish miles over the month long hike.

Packs should be fitted to your torso. Many better backs come in a couple different sizes, not just different capacities, but different frame/torso sizes, some are also adjustable, but buying the right size is a better option.

Consider Granite Gear, Lowe Alpine, Osprey, just to name a few fairly common (in the US), but good back packs if you ever want to upgrade. There are plenty of exotic packs (most are aimed at ultra-light hikers carrying light loads), lots of good European pack brands too. Granite Gear and Lowe Alpine make some great packs for heavy loads, Osprey makes some great packs for light, but bulky loads. Deuter makes some very nice stuff, I have one of their AirContact packs, I think it is a 45-liter +10. We have at least 3 Lowe Alpine packs in the family in the 30 to 45-liter ranges. I've always coveted the Granite Gear models, which are constantly evolving, but I've never owned one.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I’m not sure what a suspension system would look like, to be honest, it has the hip belts and load straps.
    View attachment 226374
    Just to follow up. Put the pack on. Hike it up and tighten the HIP strap first so the load is riding on your hips. Free floating hip belts and articulated hip belts are amazing advances in comfort. If the pack fits properly the entire load will be carried by your hips.

The shoulder straps will be over your shoulders but not pressing down on them. There are 2 adjustment straps on each shoulder strap. The lowers adjustments are used to pull the backpack forward and stabilize it. Adjust those next. Not too tight, just fit it so it is not shifting around. The do the CHEST strap to connect the 2 shoulder straps together. Final adjustment is done with the small shoulder straps that are up near your actual shoulders. Those let you tilt the load back away and in toward you.

In normal hiking you will actually be adjusting the small shoulder straps while you are walking, the heavier the load the more often you will adjust those, think of them as comfort straps, letting you shift the load and take pressure off or put it on, as your terrain and weight start to take their toll. They are your fine tuning straps.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Just to follow up. Put the pack on. Hike it up and tighten the HIP strap first so the load is riding on your hips. Free floating hip belts and articulated hip belts are amazing advances in comfort. If the pack fits properly the entire load will be carried by your hips.

The shoulder straps will be over your shoulders but not pressing down on them. There are 2 adjustment straps on each shoulder strap. The lowers adjustments are used to pull the backpack forward and stabilize it. Adjust those next. Not too tight, just fit it so it is not shifting around. The do the CHEST strap to connect the 2 shoulder straps together. Final adjustment is done with the small shoulder straps that are up near your actual shoulders. Those let you tilt the load back away and in toward you.

In normal hiking you will actually be adjusting the small shoulder straps while you are walking, the heavier the load the more often you will adjust those, think of them as comfort straps, letting you shift the load and take pressure off or put it on, as your terrain and weight start to take their toll. They are your fine tuning straps.
    That’s really invaluable info, thank you! I do have plans for an Osprey pack, in the mean time, I’m learning on this one. I think one thing I’ve been doing wrong is not loosening the adjustment straps prior to starting a new hike, so the weight is riding on my shoulders to much, I could definitely feel it today, after maybe a mile I was thinking this sucks! I’ll go loosen things up and see if I can get it to bear more on my hips! Thanks again!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Always start with loose straps. Tighten the hips first. Then the main shoulder straps, but not too tight. Then chest connector. Then go back to main shoulder straps and get the load balanced well. Then the fine adjustment straps last and those should be adjusted during a hike.

Osprey packs used to be excellent for light to medium loads. Well made with good venting. But not very light weight. I’ve not looked at them in 3-4 years but I assume they are still good for light to medium loads.

Top Bottom