• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Ideal weight for a 5'1" woman is something like 110. :lmfao:
    Here is a calculator that gives "ideal weight" based on the theories of several medical opinions. They also use a Body Mass Index method. It is a good tool that can give guidelines.

My goal is to get down to 185# and based on that goal, I would still be overweight by every calculator. Even if only a few ounces over on the high end of the BMI chart.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 3.35.39 PM.png

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think the ideal weight for 6' tall is pretty close to 170#

I'm hoping to get down from 203 to 185. Anything below 185 would be a bonus. I'm just tired of being 200 pounds!
    I’m likely never going to get to 170. I mean in all reality, I felt much better at 210 than I did at 196. My goal is to get back to that 210 and maintain it, but I’m getting my butt kicked doing it. I put on 4-5 pounds after my weekly hike, I know it’s just water but it’s still aggravating! I know I’m in much better shape now than I was a few years ago at 360 pounds, honestly when I go out and hike and run up some hills I feel like I’ve been set free.

Reactions: Leo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here is a calculator that gives "ideal weight" based on the theories of several medical opinions. They also use a Body Mass Index method. It is a good tool that can give guidelines.

My goal is to get down to 185# and based on that goal, I would still be overweight by every calculator. Even if only a few ounces over on the high end of the BMI chart.

View attachment 216887
    I'm right in there with Devine and Hamwi.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Morning workouts seem to be best for my schedule so I'm trying to lengthen those and then if I can fit in an evening workout that is just a bonus.

Closed my "exercise" circle on the Apple watch, got 62% of my "move" circle done too. I have a fencing class (I coach Olympic style saber fencing) tonight so I'm not sure I'll get in another treadmill workout, and tonight's class is a beginner/introductory class so I will NOT be getting a workout during class.

Had my 2 cups of espresso this morning, then got in 30 minutes on the treadmill. 3.5mph at a 6% incline for 90% of the 30 minutes. A couple minutes at the start & finish to warm up/cool down. The entire time on the treadmill I had 2#, 3# or 5# dumbbells and was pumping those, swinging them, pumping over my head, etc.

The 5# weights, which seem like nothing, are astonishingly heavy on the treadmill if you try to pump them over your head while sweating like a pig (or and old man) climbing an incline treadmill mid-workout!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    After getting my stent put in on 4/27 I got back to exercising. I do 4mph x 4% incline for at least 30 min, then weights for upper body, every other day. I have not gained or lost any weight but it does seem to be rearranging it's positioning on me.
    Biggest thing for me was changing my diet. I've turned into a label reader. I'm eating as little fat, sodium and sugars as I can. Haven't felt this good in years.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Morning workouts seem to be best for my schedule so I'm trying to lengthen those and then if I can fit in an evening workout that is just a bonus.

Closed my "exercise" circle on the Apple watch, got 62% of my "move" circle done too. I have a fencing class (I coach Olympic style saber fencing) tonight so I'm not sure I'll get in another treadmill workout, and tonight's class is a beginner/introductory class so I will NOT be getting a workout during class.

Had my 2 cups of espresso this morning, then got in 30 minutes on the treadmill. 3.5mph at a 6% incline for 90% of the 30 minutes. A couple minutes at the start & finish to warm up/cool down. The entire time on the treadmill I had 2#, 3# or 5# dumbbells and was pumping those, swinging them, pumping over my head, etc.

The 5# weights, which seem like nothing, are astonishingly heavy on the treadmill if you try to pump them over your head while sweating like a pig (or and old man) climbing an incline treadmill mid-workout!
    Did you say fencing class? You are welcome to come here and get real time Practice, we still have about two miles of fencing to put in.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...

View attachment 216887
    Any exercises that make one taller? Figure I'll attack the issue from both directions...:D

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Bad bout of acid reflux fixed late night eating for me. I'm not into taking medications to treat symptoms as I generally look to fix the underlying issue which in this case was not enough stomach acid to effectively digest the food in a timely manner.

So I started chewing my food more thoroughly, stopped eating chocolate (a trigger), and no more food after dinner. I make sure I don't eat 3 hours before I go to bed. I also make sure I don't lay down after eating.

Initially I gave up some other foods (coffee, alcohol) for a couple weeks and then I reintroduced them back into my diet. Though with coffee, I drink less and consume it more quickly which is better for my system.

I'm fine now. No acid reflux and no meds, knock on wood.
    Same problems, I must say I greatly admire your willpower.
    It’s 9:12 and I want chocolate.

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    After getting my stent put in on 4/27 I got back to exercising. I do 4mph x 4% incline for at least 30 min, then weights for upper body, every other day. I have not gained or lost any weight but it does seem to be rearranging it's positioning on me.
    Biggest thing for me was changing my diet. I've turned into a label reader. I'm eating as little fat, sodium and sugars as I can. Haven't felt this good in years.
    Had a stemi? the widow maker heart attack on 8/9 they put a stent in back home today very limited on what they want me to do. Lift 5 pounds max and walk for no more than 5 minutes for now have to go very slow I assume risk is high for another.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Had a stemi? the widow maker heart attack on 8/9 they put a stent in back home today very limited on what they want me to do. Lift 5 pounds max and walk for no more than 5 minutes for now have to go very slow I assume risk is high for another.
    Had 80% blockage in that one. Pay attention to the docs. I went back to work after 3 days because they say I "should" be able to. My BP meds weren't right and I collapsed at the gun counter. I came to in the ambulance. They said my BP was 60/40 when I got to the ER.

Took about 3 weeks to get use to new meds. Started doing Cardiac Rehab at Community North Heart hospital 3 times a week. Started very very slow and they had me wired up all the time. Taught me about exercise and nutrition and it's working so far.

Go slow and listen to your body. If something doesn't feel right, let them know ASAP

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Indeed It is really rough raising and lowering the 3 point hitch. We saved up for a while to buy an auger for the tractor.

Really glad we were able to pull it off. It will drill a hole down to 48 inches, which makes for a nice solid fence.
    With two miles left to put in I’d hoped had an auger, or at least some hired help to man the diggers :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So I'm now 2 weeks into exercising again and it has all been treadmill, roadway and beach while I was in Florida for a week. UNTIL TODAY. Dug the exercise bike out of the closet, my wife put it in there at Christmas time so it has been unused for 8-9 months.

It is a little Nautilus 616 unit, with programmable resistance. Set if for a "hilly ride" and and the timer for 30 minutes. I forgot how hard of a workout I get on a bike. Much more work for me than the treadmill.

I got through the 30 minute ride, with dumbbells varying from 2# to 5# in my hands, but my heart was pounding pretty hard, according to the heart meter on the bike (it gives a scale, but doesn't give BPM) I was at 100% for 80% of the ride.

About 10 minutes post ride my Blood o2 was at 95% and my heart rate is 81bpm

Not sure if anyone else does it but I use lightweight dumbbells one the treadmill and on the bike. While walking/riding/jogging I hold the weights out to my side, over my head, pump them in/out/up/down/back/forward/eetc.

I have 2 of each 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 pounders. I can hold the 1+2 pounders together to make 3#. The 8# dumbbells are too heavy for me to use on the bike/treadmill. I struggle with the 5# weights to do very much with them, especially after I'm more than 25% of the way into my session. You wouldn't think a 5 pound weight could fell so heavy, but try to hold it out to your side for 30 seconds after you are already huffing and puffing and you won't think I'm as big a wimp as it seems!

With two miles left to put in I’d hoped had an auger, or at least some hired help to man the diggers :):
    If you were closer I'd lend you my auger. I've got a 12" 3-pt mounted auger. Not sure, but I think it digs down about 40"

. . . and no more food after dinner. I make sure I don't eat 3 hours before I go to bed. . .

This is my downfall.

Came home from the fencing club last night after running our beginner tournament, chowed down a sandwich and a double bourbon.

On nights when I have a fencing class I tend to eat dinner about 4-4:30pm. Then go to the class. If I am actually teaching I need that food partially digested and settled so I don't vomit it into my fencing mask! Generally I get home between 9pm (early night) and 10pm and I'm hungry!

Top Bottom