• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Whitney, that is.;)

Like a lot of manufacturers Whitney was interested in getting in on the Colt patent expiration, but unlike most of the others did not copy the appearance of the Colt revolvers. A solid frame revolver with a unique combination rammer/cylinder pin, the Whitney found a good market and continued to make the guns like the Navy model 36 pictured here during the civil war. A designer for Whitney, Fordyce Beals, took the idea to Remington, which was used in their model 1858. He had come up with the rammer, cylinder pin held in by the adjustable latch instead of a wedge like the Colt. Remington sells a great many of these guns during the civil war and on into the Indian conflicts afterwards in both 44 and 36 caliber. They go on to cartridge conversions as well. A Confederate firm Spiller and Burr also copy the Whitney during the war.

I picked this revolver up from a lot being sold out of a museum in Texas, it was rusty, missing parts and covered in conservation varnish. I don't know who Hans Coker was but his name was prominently carved into the grips. It's always fun rebuilding something like this, and parts were easier to find than I had thought. There are repros of the Spiller and Burr and with a little work the hand for an 1858 replaced the missing one on my gun. Cleaning was time consuming and you often wonder how much is patina that you want to keep and how much is corrosion that has to go.

Reassembled and retimed I loaded it with 20 grains of FFFG black powder, wad and a 36 caliber soft cast ball. I'm always a little nervous at first shooting something like this for the first time, so grant me the flyer to the right, it was the first shot. The 25 foot grouping gets better as I continued to shoot off hand.

Mr. Coker's revolver, who ever he was is back to spitting again after a very long time elirange.jpg elirevolver.jpg .:draw:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Very nice looking pistol!

In the book "Revolver" it talks about the time that Samuel Colt, Eli Witney and Samuel Morse were all living in the same apartment building and helping each other work on their inventions. Colt at the time was working on remotely detonated naval mines and as a result was developing more powerful batteries that made Morse's idea of the telegraph practical. There was a lot of cross pollination going on there so it's no surprise that there were competing or at least contemporary products.

I think the solid top strap was a great idea and an improvement on the original Colt design.

And I get the first time you shoot it hesitancy.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You are the man! Working on the old stuff is one of the few things that hold my interest if the first try doesn't quite fix the problem. On guns I will try over and over if need be (the lawn mower better work first try or it will just sit there).

When Colt started 'making' guns he had no factory or workers. If I remember correctly it was Whitney who produced his first models. They are as solid as a hammer! Have you ever held one of his lever guns? His impression of an 1873 takes two men and a boy to carry!

Keep them old guns alive and I appreciate your sharing with the rest of us.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Very nice looking pistol!

In the book "Revolver" it talks about the time that Samuel Colt, Eli Witney and Samuel Morse were all living in the same apartment building and helping each other work on their inventions. Colt at the time was working on remotely detonated naval mines and as a result was developing more powerful batteries that made Morse's idea of the telegraph practical. There was a lot of cross pollination going on there so it's no surprise that there were competing or at least contemporary products.

I think the solid top strap was a great idea and an improvement on the original Colt design.

And I get the first time you shoot it hesitancy.

For the first shooting, I wear two sets of glasses, a jacket, hat and a set of mechanics gloves. Someday I'll probably get some sort of rest to bolt guns to and fire from a string.

Even that won't take away the anxiety of having an antique I've put time into grenade on me.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You are the man! Working on the old stuff is one of the few things that hold my interest if the first try doesn't quite fix the problem. On guns I will try over and over if need be (the lawn mower better work first try or it will just sit there).

When Colt started 'making' guns he had no factory or workers. If I remember correctly it was Whitney who produced his first models. They are as solid as a hammer! Have you ever held one of his lever guns? His impression of an 1873 takes two men and a boy to carry!

Keep them old guns alive and I appreciate your sharing with the rest of us.
    His first revolver was whittled from wood while on a work trip from New England to Calcutta, 17,000 miles each way. His first and last trip as a sailor. He had a couple of gunsmiths make the first versions before begining production at his first plant which failed and then did his stint as a blower up of ships before he went back to weapons production.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Whitney, that is.;)

Like a lot of manufacturers Whitney was interested in getting in on the Colt patent expiration, but unlike most of the others did not copy the appearance of the Colt revolvers. A solid frame revolver with a unique combination rammer/cylinder pin, the Whitney found a good market and continued to make the guns like the Navy model 36 pictured here during the civil war. A designer for Whitney, Fordyce Beals, took the idea to Remington, which was used in their model 1858. He had come up with the rammer, cylinder pin held in by the adjustable latch instead of a wedge like the Colt. Remington sells a great many of these guns during the civil war and on into the Indian conflicts afterwards in both 44 and 36 caliber. They go on to cartridge conversions as well. A Confederate firm Spiller and Burr also copy the Whitney during the war.

I picked this revolver up from a lot being sold out of a museum in Texas, it was rusty, missing parts and covered in conservation varnish. I don't know who Hans Coker was but his name was prominently carved into the grips. It's always fun rebuilding something like this, and parts were easier to find than I had thought. There are repros of the Spiller and Burr and with a little work the hand for an 1858 replaced the missing one on my gun. Cleaning was time consuming and you often wonder how much is patina that you want to keep and how much is corrosion that has to go.

Reassembled and retimed I loaded it with 20 grains of FFFG black powder, wad and a 36 caliber soft cast ball. I'm always a little nervous at first shooting something like this for the first time, so grant me the flyer to the right, it was the first shot. The 25 foot grouping gets better as I continued to shoot off hand.

Mr. Coker's revolver, who ever he was is back to spitting again after a very long time View attachment 151306 View attachment 151307 .:draw:

I always enjoy your pics and writeups.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    You are the man! Working on the old stuff is one of the few things that hold my interest if the first try doesn't quite fix the problem.
    Working on old guns is truly a rare art form...and a commitment to dedication, tediousness, and determination!
    It's that 'mulling it over' to figure out the issue and determine a response that is rare...nowadays, many won't even try with anything that requires concerted effort and thought! The biggest part is, being willing to take on the challenge!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Love to see old guns get the love they need, and being brought back to life! Would be great to find out about the name on the gun, maybe he was a bad gunman, who was shot down in the streets while trying to waylay someone........ahh if only guns could talk! Hans Coker reveal your self.....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some internet research turns up a Hansford Coker born 1851 son of John Coker, census puts him in Denton Texas in 1860. Too young for the Civil War, but a close age to be buying a cap and ball gun or maybe having it handed down by a relative that had. Not a lot of room to carve Hansford so maybe it was shortened to Hans. No luck with the actual Name Hans.

There is a John Coker who is a minor Texas hero, fought in the war of Texas independence and rode with Deaf Smith. The time frame is close, but I can't find any record of his children, so it's probably a different John Coker.

Top Bottom