• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I remember when I was a kid my Grandmother would fry up an order of calf brains, don't remember if I liked them or not. Of course back then you ate what was put on the table or you did not eat. Jim.
    I have never had brains, liver, tongue, really anything exotic. But the rule was just like what you dealt with, if you do not like what was offered, you went hungry. If you did not eat dinner, no dessert. On weekends we had snacks like potato chips or popcorn. Same rule, no dinner, no dessert, no snacks. And then the other kicker, we served ourselves. If we put it on our plate, we had to eat it.

Now a days I make a pot of mac and cheese when my nephew is here as that is all he will eat. The other little ones are pretty good with most anything but seafood. If they do not want shrimp or lobster, I am not going to complain. 15-25 per lb or a $2 box of mac and cheese.

Anyways, this is a picture thread from what I read somewhere up above.

1614646929808.png

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    She makes a couple good points...
    solyentred.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I remember when I was a kid my Grandmother would fry up an order of calf brains, don't remember if I liked them or not. Of course back then you ate what was put on the table or you did not eat. Jim.
    My mom was born in 1919 and grew up on a farm with 5 brothers and 5 sisters during The Depression. She said they grew most of what they ate, and that you could eat every part of the pig except the oink. When I was growing up she would sometimes bring home pig brains from the IGA and cook them up. She could never get me to eat them, but she seemed to like them.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    My mom was born in 1919 and grew up on a farm with 5 brothers and 5 sisters during The Depression. She said they grew most of what they ate, and that you could eat every part of the pig except the oink. When I was growing up she would sometimes bring home pig brains from the IGA and cook them up. She could never get me to eat them, but she seemed to like them.
    Grew up on “old McDonald‘s farm basically...milk cows, cattle for beef, farrow-to-finish hogs, chickens for eggs, chickens for butcher, an acre of garden/truck patch. Most of what we ate, we produced. As a kid we too ate literally everything...we use to say regarding hogs we ate everything but the “squeal”. Don’t remember pig brains but cattle...heart, tongue, brains...you name it, we ate it. Not saying I liked all of it but you ate what was cooked or you went hungry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom