Clay County
    138054696_3814600231966942_3261998994954941109_o.jpg

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    LOL. "we go to church together" is funny, but there can be some truth to the original thought.

When I was a student at Indiana U in B-ton, sometimes I picked up the bus on 3rd Street outside Rawles Hall after my afternoon AFROTC classes.

Weather permitting the Sun would be shining on that stop, and there was usually a very elderly gentleman sitting there enjoying it. I saw him several times so I struck up a conversation with him. He turned out to be a very interesting guy. He was 90-something, lived at the Hillel center across the street, and his daughter was a professor of some kind of Jewish studies at IU. As a young boy he had immigrated to the US from Russia around the turn of the century (meaning 1900) because of the pogroms in Russia. He introduced himself as Mr. Frankel, but when I asked he said his name had originally been a much longer Russian name but he shortened it to Frankel to Americanize it. He had seen a lot and had some interesting stories, which unfortunately I now realize I have mostly forgotten. One I do remember is that he said he was at the inaugural parade in Washington DC in 1909 IIRC, which would be William Howard Taft. He said he saw the President riding in an open horse carriage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom