The Funny Pic Thread Part 13 - Clowns to the Left of me, jokers to the right, Welcome to DC!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My old firm had a case years ago where a guy was using the standard jack to change the oil on a Saturn SL. He was under the car and it slipped off the jack and applied pressure to his chest so that he way-too-slowly asphyxiated.

I happen to (still) have a Saturn S series and have been changing the oil on it for nearly 10 years. It has served all 4 of my kids well. Yes- to get to the oil filter, it's best to take the right front wheel off, but a real floor jack and most importantly, a jack stand make this a very safe operation. The only thing I can figure is that the guy was slid underneath it to get the drain plug...but that can be reached without getting as far underneath as he did.

We represented the Estate of the decedent...I never believed in the case, but I was super-far down the totem pole back then.

Years ago I was way under the back of my car changing oil once. You have to be under the back for an MR2 Mark I and you have to be way under it to get at that cursed filter location. I had a floor jack in place holding up the car but that jack had a slow leak so I had a jack stand as well under what was a solid structural place. However the weight was still on the floor jack. Apparently I had nudged the jack stand while wiggling under there because as the floor jack slooowly came down the jack stand missed the support spot and wasn't doing much of anything. Before I noticed it was getting too tight I got trapped by the weight and couldn't get out. If it weren't for my son pumping up the floor jack I would probably still be there.

Now I make damn sure the car weight is actually on the jack stand instead of mostly on the floor jack with the jack stand supposedly in a good place. In fact I frequently use a second jack stand now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Years ago I was way under the back of my car changing oil once. You have to be under the back for an MR2 Mark I and you have to be way under it to get at that cursed filter location. I had a floor jack in place holding up the car but that jack had a slow leak so I had a jack stand as well under what was a solid structural place. However the weight was still on the floor jack. Apparently I had nudged the jack stand while wiggling under there because as the floor jack slooowly came down the jack stand missed the support spot and wasn't doing much of anything. Before I noticed it was getting too tight I got trapped by the weight and couldn't get out. If it weren't for my son pumping up the floor jack I would probably still be there.

Now I make damn sure the car weight is actually on the jack stand instead of mostly on the floor jack with the jack stand supposedly in a good place. In fact I frequently use a second jack stand now.
    I usually leave the floor jack in place, but always lower the weight of the vehicle onto the jack stands so that the jack is the back-up for them and not vice-versa. This goes back to my car dealership days.

My dad, on the other hand used 2x12s and concrete blocks for ramps....and lived to tell about. Just barely a couple of times. 'Course, back then, concrete blocks had twice as much concrete in them...

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My old firm had a case years ago where a guy was using the standard jack to change the oil on a Saturn SL. He was under the car and it slipped off the jack and applied pressure to his chest so that he way-too-slowly asphyxiated.

I happen to (still) have a Saturn S series and have been changing the oil on it for nearly 10 years. It has served all 4 of my kids well. Yes- to get to the oil filter, it's best to take the right front wheel off, but a real floor jack and most importantly, a jack stand make this a very safe operation. The only thing I can figure is that the guy was slid underneath it to get the drain plug...but that can be reached without getting as far underneath as he did.

We represented the Estate of the decedent...I never believed in the case, but I was super-far down the totem pole back then.

Worked om forklifts for almost 40 years. They are very heavy and don't care what is underneath them when they fall. I always used the correct jack and approved blocks/stands. Even then put other things under them.

Saw 2 fatalities over the years and a couple injuries. Make my guts roll thinking about them.

Policy was to remove the jack from the work area after properly supporting the load. This was supposed to keep the temptation to use the jack as support at bay. Have to admit I usually left it under there as well most times.

Don

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sort of related:
    The German word for “to drive” (a vehicle) is “fahren,” so it is the root of driving-related terms such as the exit off of the autobahn, which is “Ausfahrt.” And that’s pronounced pretty much like you would expect, causing much glee among the English speakers. Of course there is a sign on every exit labeling it as such.

Anyway, one of my friend‘s parents were visiting her at our base in Germany, and she said that as she was driving them on the autobahn from the airport her dad remarked,

”There sure are a lot of little towns around here called Ausfahrt.”

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom