• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Saw one in the Eskenazi garage today. It must've been a base model, hard top with what I would call cop-car wheels. Not big, not small.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ford using marketing shenanigans to sell more "Escapes". Pick a name with a storied history and apply it to something with a couple of styling cues that it really doesn't otherwise apply to.
    Eh, not really. The Bronco Sport is actually a lot more off-road capable than "just an Escape."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Eh, not really. The Bronco Sport is actually a lot more off-road capable than "just an Escape."

So you're telling me they couldn't have offered an Escape with the same add-ons if they wanted to? Of course they could. It's the same platform and there's not many under-the-skin differences between them. Good on them if they can make more money by spreading the platform development costs among several models and broadening the appeal of the platform, but that's what they are doing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Wish in one hand, want in the other......
    Right?

But honestly, sucks for the dealers. Supply and demand and what not. If i order one from manufacturer and wait it better come in maxing at MSRP.

If they are holding the jeep above their heads and whoever can jump high enough can buy it.... That annoys me. We never jacked up PMAGs when none could be found. When we got them we'd sell at our usual price, but we didn't have huge overhead either

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Right?

But honestly, sucks for the dealers. Supply and demand and what not. If i order one from manufacturer and wait it better come in maxing at MSRP.

If they are holding the jeep above their heads and whoever can jump high enough can buy it.... That annoys me. We never jacked up PMAGs when none could be found. When we got them we'd sell at our usual price, but we didn't have huge overhead either

They are free to ask what they wish....just as folks are free to pay what they wish.

Likewise, I am free to not enter a transaction such as that for a vehicle.

If the Bronco is any good, there will be plenty around in 5-10 years. If it isn't, there will not be.

I'll just stick with my old 4x4 truck for now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ford using marketing shenanigans to sell more "Escapes". Pick a name with a storied history and apply it to something with a couple of styling cues that it really doesn't otherwise apply to. See also, Mustang Mach E.

I recently made similar comments about them using the Maverick name for a definitely not Maverick vehicle. I was told they are struggling to find names they can secure the rights to so they are digging up names they already own for this.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I recently made similar comments about them using the Maverick name for a definitely not Maverick vehicle. I was told they are struggling to find names they can secure the rights to so they are digging up names they already own for this.

Well, the old Maverick was a poor excuse for a car...the new Maverick is a poor excuse for a truck.

Maybe that's the connection they are going for.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, the old Maverick was a poor excuse for a car...the new Maverick is a poor excuse for a truck.

Maybe that's the connection they are going for.
    I had a buddy when I lived up in Lafayette that had a mustard yellow Maverick. He called it "Mabel". Mabel had no front passenger seat. She had a beanbag chair there. There were 4 of us that covered a lot of country roads up there in Mabel. :lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So you're telling me they couldn't have offered an Escape with the same add-ons if they wanted to? Of course they could. It's the same platform and there's not many under-the-skin differences between them. Good on them if they can make more money by spreading the platform development costs among several models and broadening the appeal of the platform, but that's what they are doing.
    Is it the same platform? That is not the intel I have.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Is it the same platform? That is not the intel I have.
    The Bronco Sport and the Escape share the same underpinnings and powertrains. The Bronco Sport is much more capable off road, with additional ground clearance, superior approach and departure angles, over 23" water fording capability, off-road tuned suspension, locking rear differential and several 4wd terrain modes.

If it was just "marketing shenanigans," the Bronco Sport would just be a square Escape with no other real differences. But that's obviously not the case. In fact, a lot of people are finding that the Bronco Sport is a better off roader than a Jeep Cherokee.

Now the Mustang Mach-e? That's marketing shenanigans. And an abomination. They should have named it the Electro-Pinto.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    They should have called it the Courier, like their previous mini truck. But I guess "Maverick" is more stylish.

the new Maverick is a poor excuse for a truck
    They will sell a boatload of them. And they'll do what buyers need them to do. Not everyone needs a Cummins dually.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The only "car" the Ford still markets is the Mustang. Everything else is either a truck or sport/suv. No more Focus, Fusion, Edge vehicles. They gave up an entire market share to Honda, Toyota, and Kia.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Bronco Sport and the Escape share the same underpinnings and powertrains. The Bronco Sport is much more capable off road, with additional ground clearance, superior approach and departure angles, over 23" water fording capability, off-road tuned suspension, locking rear differential and several 4wd terrain modes.

If it was just "marketing shenanigans," the Bronco Sport would just be a square Escape with no other real differences. But that's obviously not the case. In fact, a lot of people are finding that the Bronco Sport is a better off roader than a Jeep Cherokee.

Now the Mustang Mach-e? That's marketing shenanigans. And an abomination. They should have named it the Electro-Pinto.
    Ah, I thought he was saying the Escape and the "real" Bronco shared platforms. My bad.

Sorry about that Hough. Should have never questioned you. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The only "car" the Ford still markets is the Mustang. Everything else is either a truck or sport/suv. No more Focus, Fusion, Edge vehicles. They gave up an entire market share to Honda, Toyota, and Kia.
    And probably a smart move. GM should follow suit.

The margin is in CUV's, SUV's and trucks.

Top Bottom