The CZickness XXXIX Waiting on what's next.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Old pics of the Savage 12FVSS 26" heavy fluted barrel in .308 with Nikon Monarch glass I had many years ago.

I'm sure it was setup less than ideally and I'm sure my form was not great. This was at Atterbury many years ago when it was still wild west days out there. All the bolt gun discussion on here has me a bit nostalgic, but at the time, I had small kids and not enough time to put into it to drive down to Atterbury when I wanted to shoot it, etc. Traded it off to Bob at PSS several years ago, part cash back to me and part toward an Advantage Arms conversion kit (before I started using the Classifieds here). In some ways wish I kept it, but just didn't have a lot of time to put into it, and didn't have much for anyone around me who was into this type of shooting at the time.

I do remember taking the fishing rods with me when I would go and hitting a few of the lakes down at Atterbury when I would go.

Rdz4345.jpg

V9kA1SD.jpg

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    If I had either one that might work... :):

I was thinking about heading down to The Outdoorsman later to see if they had any Remington 700 scope rings that would mount directly to the receiver. That might make enough of a difference that the cheek rest isn't needed... :dunno:
    If you are really in a bind but have a garbage bag and spray foam. Take a fresh garbage bag and spray the foam in the bottom. Tie the bag around the stock so that it doesn't leak out and is secure. Put your head in exactly the spot where you would like the rest to be and wait for the foam to expand. Take a nap. When you wake up you can move out of that position. The foam will continue to cure over night. You can go shooting tomorrow. I would use a black garbage bag for tactical reasons. :)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If you are really in a bind but have a garbage bag and spray foam. Take a fresh garbage bag and spray the foam in the bottom. Tie the bag around the stock so that it doesn't leak out and is secure. Put your head in exactly the spot where you would like the rest to be and wait for the foam to expand. Take a nap. When you wake up you can move out of that position. The foam will continue to cure over night. You can go shooting tomorrow. I would use a black garbage bag for tactical reasons. :)

I think I was told about this method before my first snipe hunt. :cool: :stickpoke:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping I find some low scope rings that will work, but if not I think Reed has me covered, at least for tomorrow.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So how much clearance is needed between the scope's objective and the barrel? If I stack 4 quarters on the barrel where scope rings would be mounted, I believe that sets the scope up correctly for me to see while maintaining a good cheek weld and while the objective isn't touching the barrel, I can barely slide a quarter in between the objective and the barrel. If this was a .22 I'm not sure I'd worry, but I'm wondering if the recoil of the 308 would be enough to be a problem?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Not an expert, but I wouldn't think so.

I'm reading this as, as long as the objective isn't touching the barrel when the scope is mounted, it should be fine. Is that what you're saying? If so then I think I'll go with my plan to head out to The Outdoorsman a little later to see what I can find. Thank you sir.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm reading this as...
    That's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine the scope tube + barrel flexing (that close to the receiver) closing the gap of a quarter.

Probably won't help but I have a set of Vortex 30mm low rings. They would place the scope's center line 0.90" above the rail.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks for the photo compliments, gangsters ! :)

----yes, Bandit, mother nature is endless in its' splendor & complexity !
    --- sorry, 0830, but I'm not on Facebook, so I can't connect.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'm reading this as, as long as the objective isn't touching the barrel when the scope is mounted, it should be fine. Is that what you're saying? If so then I think I'll go with my plan to head out to The Outdoorsman a little later to see what I can find. Thank you sir.
    As long as you can get a dollar bill between the objective lens and the barrel you are G2G. Barrel harmonics are micro measurements. They won't "flex" enough to make contact with the scope.

I try to mount as low as possible on bolt guns for cheek weld purposes. If you don't have pipe insulation, a cut pool noodle is a fantastic substitute. Probably $1 this time of year.

The 0 moa vs 20 moa base is really determined by the turret range and intended distance. If your keeping it under 500-600 the base MAY not be necessary.

My 2¢. Have fun guys! Pew some for me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's what I'm thinking. I can't imagine the scope tube + barrel flexing (that close to the receiver) closing the gap of a quarter.

Probably won't help but I have a set of Vortex 30mm low rings. They would place the scope's center line 0.90" above the rail.

Are those rings for mounting on a rail, or directly to a receiver? I'm thinking the added height of the rail is my main issue and would like to see if mounting directly to the receiver would work.

As long as you can get a dollar bill between the objective lens and the barrel you are G2G. Barrel harmonics are micro measurements. They won't "flex" enough to make contact with the scope.

I try to mount as low as possible on bolt guns for cheek weld purposes. If you don't have pipe insulation, a cut pool noodle is a fantastic substitute. Probably $1 this time of year.

The 0 moa vs 20 moa base is really determined by the turret range and intended distance. If your keeping it under 500-600 the base MAY not be necessary.

My 2¢. Have fun guys! Pew some for me.

Thank you for that information!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's crazy enough to work.....

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    They are for rail mounting so no help I guess.

No, but I may still be interested depending on what happens when I test low rings that mount to the receiver. If that doesn't work, I have a leather cheek rest ordered and I'm not sure if I'll need low or medium rings when I use it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Looking to order my next book... I’m over halfway through the current one. I’m undecided whether I should order paperback or hardcover? The first book of this series that I’m reading I have in paperback, because they must not print in hardcover anymore and prices are crazy.

I can buy the next 2 hardcover for cheaper than the good paperback, not the mass market stuff that’s dirt cheap. But I don’t know what to do. I like the flexibility of paper, but the hardcover is nicer for other things...

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Looking to order my next book... I’m over halfway through the current one. I’m undecided whether I should order paperback or hardcover? The first book of this series that I’m reading I have in paperback, because they must not print in hardcover anymore and prices are crazy.

I can buy the next 2 hardcover for cheaper than the good paperback, not the mass market stuff that’s dirt cheap. But I don’t know what to do. I like the flexibility of paper, but the hardcover is nicer for other things...
    Knowing myself, I'd get them in HB now, and go back and get the 1st book later to make it a "complete" collection.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    @wtburnette I dug it out for a pic. My m77 ought6 can't even get lens caps around it now. I just leave them hanging on it in the safe for dust . As a hunting rig I like it as tight and frill-free as possible. I don't hunt across great plains so no need for the extreme range capabilities. This rifle far exceeds my capabilities to shoot it. A better scope some day, but still it's one of my favorite bolt guns.
    77461e2ce41949133fedb42293d79907.jpg
    cd10897d70599344df45ae0cb7950bf6.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom