THE CZickness XLVIII....."The Holidays are Coming" edition...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Same price or higher than the HST.

These look interesting. Limited penetration but top of the list expansion. Seems like a great HD bullet unless you want subs.

9mm Barnes 115gr. TAC-XP

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    What about Gold Dot?

That's a summer bullet. At some point on INGO, someone (I think HoughMade but maybe BigTanker?) Shared a news article about a person who got into a shootout with police. Half of the Gold Dots were stopped by a Carhartt coat...

Morning, mcapo. Morning, everyone

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Morning!

That’s interesting about the Gold Dots. Data versus HSTs would seem to indicated it hits hard and deep.

So many variables…

I’ll just search for BehindBlueEyes opinions and follow his experience. :-)

787db86fc68c9cba696eb684fcb7d021.jpg

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Morning!

That’s interesting about the Gold Dots. Data versus HSTs would seem to indicated it hits hard and deep.

So many variables…

I’ll just search for BehindBlueEyes opinions and follow his experience. :-)

787db86fc68c9cba696eb684fcb7d021.jpg
    All I can say is that for that one experience, and not very close up, a canvas exterior coat stopped half of the Gold Dots used by police. I think it makes sense to change rounds depending on hour many layers one might anticipate the bad guy wearing, but maybe I've been watching too much Paul Harrell meat tests. (A dangerously unstandardized test according to BBI, not his words and a pinch of poetic license on my end)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

I find that you can make a bottle of spaghetti sauce better by adding additional seasonings to it. A basic Italian seasoning, maybe some garlic powder, etc.

Even better to brown some Italian sausage, adding some diced onion and bell pepper, then some minced garlic about a minute before adding sauce. Of course then adding some Italian seasoning, or at the minimum some oregano and basil.

Wanna know a secret?

My born and raised in Italy Grandmother used Ragu for her gravy base. Ragu was a fairly interchangable word for gravy. It was only sauce if was just a plain meal.

What was added to the base will remain a secret...heck, I've only shared it with one of my kids.

My Dad does the same thing and he makes the best sauce I've ever had. He cooks his sauce for hours and he adds a ton of freshly minced garlic and a whole onion. He makes it in huge batches and freezes it for easy use. His sauce, without any meat and just dipped into with fresh crusty bread is the best I've eaten anywhere. Add some baked Italian sausage over pasta and it's absolutely to die for... :drool:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Morning all... :coffee:

My Dad does the same thing and he makes the best sauce I've ever had. He cooks his sauce for hours and he adds a ton of freshly minced garlic and a whole onion. He makes it in huge batches and freezes it for easy use. His sauce, without any meat and just dipped into with fresh crusty bread is the best I've eaten anywhere. Add some baked Italian sausage over pasta and it's absolutely to die for... :drool:
    Morning....

That was similar to my grandmothers routine. Start out with plain plain Ragu and then....

Well, that as much as will be released publicly.

My opinion is that using the Ragu as a base does two things; (1) saves a ton of time in cooking down the tomatoes and (2) adds a degree of consistency to the final product.

After that it just the proper mix of seasonings, meats, etc. to accomplish your goal. Really no super secret ingredient or anything.

She would make slightly different gravies for pasta, for baking, for braciole, etc. Oh..her braciole...to die for.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning....

That was similar to my grandmothers routine. Start out with plain plain Ragu and then....

Well, that as much as will be released publicly.

My opinion is that using the Ragu as a base does two things; (1) saves a ton of time in cooking down the tomatoes and (2) adds a degree of consistency to the final product.

After that it just the proper mix of seasonings, meats, etc. to accomplish your goal. Really no super secret ingredient or anything.

She would make slightly different gravies for pasta, for baking, for braciole, etc. Oh..her braciole...to die for.

My favorite was the sauce over a baked Italian sausage on a bed of pasta, covered in shredded mozzarella cheese and baked. Oh my!

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Morning, T-Dogg. Morning, WT.

Back when I was a student, I used to cook a meal for my birthday cook all day and have family come over for it. Last one was braciole in homemade sauce tied up like my great grandmother used to do.

I have a gas stove in the new apartment. I should make pizzelles for Christmas.

Turns out Clarksburg WV (Dad's side's area but no Italian blood from his half) has a significant Italian community:

These peppers are awesome on cheese steaks, or used as a sauce like WT just mentioned. I'll boil up a little penne and use them to round it out into a light meal. Haven't tried their pasta sauce, but the stewed peppers and pizza sauce are pretty good.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Morning,

I do agree that browning some meat, then putting in a sauce is the way to go.

One night I cooked up some bacon in the pan, dropped in some cubed up chicken breast, then the bottle of sauce, seasoning, put it all over rotini, and put some Italian blend cheese on top. Yum.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks!

All I can say is that for that one experience, and not very close up, a canvas exterior coat stopped half of the Gold Dots used by police. I think it makes sense to change rounds depending on hour many layers one might anticipate the bad guy wearing, but maybe I've been watching too much Paul Harrell meat tests. (A dangerously unstandardized test according to BBI, not his words and a pinch of poetic license on my end)

I know that I invite the ridicule of INGO by thinking this, but for me, 9mm is a summer round. It is for times when the trend would be towards lighter clothing and larger groups. I like to carry either .357 Sig or 40 S&W in colder seasons.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Morning folks!

I know that I invite the ridicule of INGO by thinking this, but for me, 9mm is a summer round. It is for times when the trend would be towards lighter clothing and larger groups. I like to carry either .357 Sig or 40 S&W in colder seasons.
    I agree but I hope I never need to test it for myself

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Morning folks!

38 special wadcutters.

Carried them for years and years till the p365 came along. Still here to talk about them.

More impressive performance than you’d think. Imho

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom