THE CZickness XLIX....Tackling 2023 with CZ style...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    IIRC the witness @Born2vette has is the wonder finish.
    The one I had years ago was, it seemed nice, but I was too new to really be paying any attention to that back then.
    No longer his, remember?

Wonder finish is not stainless steel. From what I've read on the interwebz, it's something similar to the tenifer treatment G**** used to put on their slides or like a Nickel Boron type surface treatment.

20221227_234210.jpg

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    The Witness I posted about, some reviews call it “wonder finish”. Is it actually stainless, or just finished to look stainless? I saw one at a LGS and the guy at the counter didn’t know if it was actually stainless or not.
    The one I had years ago was, it seemed nice, but I was too new to really be paying any attention to that back then.
    I was just reading in a forum and and Witness owner claimed that the owners manual said to keep the “wonder finish” oiled or it could show rust over time. Others claimed that it is just a silver/gray hardened coating over non-stainless. Still didn’t find any concrete info, but it’s looking like it’s not stainless. Bummer.

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    No longer his, remember?

Wonder finish is not stainless steel. From what I've read on the interwebz, it's something similar to the tenifer treatment G**** used to put on their slides or like a Nickel Boron type surface treatment.

View attachment 250633
    Ah you beat me to it while I was typing! But seriously thanks for the clarification. I was really hoping it was stainless and I’m less interested now knowing that it’s not.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sorry....I have black powder supplies to buy and now I need a flint lock.

The times I have shot flintlock rifles were before I started using eye protection (decades ago). They were surprisingly accurate considering I would pull the trigger and close my eyes. I theorized the LONG, heavy barrels kept my flinch from having much effect.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    No longer his, remember?

View attachment 250633
    No sorry, I can’t keep track of all the enablenessed.
    But thank you, I won’t forget next time!

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Dang that is nice! I like the stainless and wood look. The squared off trigger guard on yours looks better than the standard. Front strap checkering and target rear sight are big pluses too.

The Witness I posted about, some reviews call it “wonder finish”. Is it actually stainless, or just finished to look stainless? I saw one at a LGS and the guy at the counter didn’t know if it was actually stainless or not.

@T-DOGG now has custody of that Witness in 45!

Found this in CZfirearms forum, reportedly from an old catalogue.

Wonder finish is Tangfoglio's heat treating process for steel. It is not plating, so it will not separate from the base metal. This heat treating process increases the surface hardness, thus decreasing wear, and increasing abrasion resistance. The Wonder finish process creates a self lubricating, corrosion resistant barrier between the surface of the pistol and the underlying metal that is over 12 microns deep. It maintains the superior characteristics of iron carbon steel for rigidty and durability with the look and corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

Firehawk

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    @T-DOGG now has custody of that Witness in 45!

Found this in CZfirearms forum, reportedly from an old catalogue.

Wonder finish is Tangfoglio's heat treating process for steel. It is not plating, so it will not separate from the base metal. This heat treating process increases the surface hardness, thus decreasing wear, and increasing abrasion resistance. The Wonder finish process creates a self lubricating, corrosion resistant barrier between the surface of the pistol and the underlying metal that is over 12 microns deep. It maintains the superior characteristics of iron carbon steel for rigidty and durability with the look and corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
    Thanks B2V. I was really hoping it was stainless and I could refinish it to a brushed stainless look later on. For not being stainless and the front sight not being replaceable, I think the price is too high IMO.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom