The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Random question of the day. Which one do you like better?

20" AR

RM20GVTA4S-7-L.jpg

16" Dissipator (midlength gas with rifle length handguard/front sight)

5165492157_1.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've always wondered what the logic was with a revolver frame/barrel that big and a grip that small? Did people have small hands in the late 1800's?

A lot of it was style. The 1878 is a product of Victorian era styling which was fading away with the era. The grip isn't as small as it looks and was reduced in width the year after it was introduced because of complaints. For scale the gun uses the same barrel and ejector as the venerable SAA, a decision by William Mason to simplify production. These revolvers were always expensive, costing half again the price of a new SAA, but were popular with European military officers who liked the double action. Many are seen being carried by English soldiers during the Boer War, and Colt London had many made up in foreign chamberings.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I hear ya, really I do.

Here is where I left off last night, in regards to getting setup for reloading 223 and 308 for "precision".

Lee Classic 4-hole turret (base price of $149)
    Redding Premium dies
    Extra turrets, Powder Measure, Digital Scale, etc
    $840

Dillon 550 (base price of $525)
    same items as above
    $1450

The Dillon setup is $610 more, but the real question is do I actually "have to" spend the extra money to slowly reload the ammo I want? I know the Dillon is good and popular, but so is that Lee Turret. Is the Dillon $610 better?

And if I'm being honest here, while I've been researching and asking tons of questions about reloading, I'm still hesitant because it's a huge investment/rabbit hole with time and money both.
    My math isn't what it once was, but I'm confused by yours above. If all things are equal, except the cost of the press, then the difference between the two setups is $376 ($525 - $149), not $610. Maybe I didn't factor in shipping or something else that wasn't listed?

Regardless of the cost difference, as others have stated, don't skimp on reloading equipment.

Another factor to consider is warranty. Doesn't Dillon have a lifetime no BS warranty? Does Lee have the same? If not, yes, you can buy 2 - 4 more Lee presses to have on hand if something goes wonky. Is that your plan?

Inquiring minds want to know.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My math isn't what it once was, but I'm confused by yours above. If all things are equal, except the cost of the press, then the difference between the two setups is $376 ($525 - $149), not $610. Maybe I didn't factor in shipping or something else that wasn't listed?

Regardless of the cost difference, as others have stated, don't skimp on reloading equipment.

Another factor to consider is warranty. Doesn't Dillon have a lifetime no BS warranty? Does Lee have the same? If not, yes, you can buy 2 - 4 more Lee presses to have on hand if something goes wonky. Is that your plan?

The $610 was the difference between the total cost of the Dillon vs Lee, not just the presses themselves. The Dillon requires caliber conversion kits @ $65 each for each caliber (shellholder plate w/powder funnel), the additional toolheads are $32 each vs $13 for the Lee turrets and I had 2 powder dies and a powder funnel in there to allow using the Dillon without the auto powder measure that it comes with. I suppose apples to apples, I should deduct $61 for the extra powder dies and funnel. So $549 difference.

Yes, Dillon has a no BS lifetime warranty and I've heard it's good.
    I'm not familiar with Lee's warranty. But my plan is not to buy several Lee presses.

Are you saying Lee is junk? I've really only heard good things about the Classic Turret?

I have no experience with either press, pretty much going by online research/opinions/reviews, etc. Well, I've seen mcapo's Dillon and he showed me stuff on it, but I haven't had the pleasure of actually using it.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

The difference unaccounted for in your analysis is probably the higher cost of accessory items like toolheads, conversion plates, sales tax, etc. along with the one extra washer he will need for the install on his bench.

Don't mess with the Tdogg and his spreadsheets...he is what we call a professional.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I hear ya, really I do.

Here is where I left off last night, in regards to getting setup for reloading 223 and 308 for "precision".

Lee Classic 4-hole turret (base price of $149)
    Redding Premium dies
    Extra turrets, Powder Measure, Digital Scale, etc
    $840

Dillon 550 (base price of $525)
    same items as above
    $1450

The Dillon setup is $610 more, but the real question is do I actually "have to" spend the extra money to slowly reload the ammo I want? I know the Dillon is good and popular, but so is that Lee Turret. Is the Dillon $610 better?

And if I'm being honest here, while I've been researching and asking tons of questions about reloading, I'm still hesitant because it's a huge investment/rabbit hole with time and money both.
    The BL550 is $370 and is a great replacement for the Lee press. You only need to purchase a extra die plate.
    17 years? That’s almost brand new. My 550 is circa 1989.

I need to upgrade to the new handle and get rid of that stupid ball on a stick.

EDIT: Ordered one....Inline Fabrication.

513DbVv9NhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    17 years? That’s almost brand new. My 550 is circa 1989.

I need to upgrade to the new handle and get rid of that stupid ball on a stick.

EDIT: Ordered one....Inline Fabrication.

513DbVv9NhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    Order the LED light for the 550 also.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The BL550 is $370 and is a great replacement for the Lee press. You only need to purchase a extra die plate.

Order the LED light for the 550 also.
    :ugh: How did I miss that! I got so hyper focused on the RL550 and completely overlooked the BL550. That's exactly how I would want to use it starting out.

Sometimes things aren't so obvious to me.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    The $610 was the difference between the total cost of the Dillon vs Lee, not just the presses themselves. The Dillon requires caliber conversion kits @ $65 each for each caliber (shellholder plate w/powder funnel), the additional toolheads are $32 each vs $13 for the Lee turrets and I had 2 powder dies and a powder funnel in there to allow using the Dillon without the auto powder measure that it comes with. I suppose apples to apples, I should deduct $61 for the extra powder dies and funnel. So $549 difference.

I'm not familiar with Lee's warranty. But my plan is not to buy several Lee presses.

Are you saying Lee is junk? I've really only heard good things about the Classic Turret?

I have no experience with either press, pretty much going by online research/opinions/reviews, etc. Well, I've seen mcapo's Dillon and he showed me stuff on it, but I haven't had the pleasure of actually using it.
    You should probably get both of them. Can't skinflint when it comes to gun stuff.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Random question of the day. Which one do you like better?

20" AR

RM20GVTA4S-7-L.jpg

16" Dissipator (midlength gas with rifle length handguard/front sight)

5165492157_1.jpg
    Of those two, I choose the 20" AR.
    Though I've built some 16" barrel versions different from the one shown that I like too.

MY first AR15 was a "green label" Colt AR15 HBAR I bought in the late 1980's the day before Colt announced they were stopping civilian sales. (which were later resumed with the emasculated versions)
    I still have this rifle and it's been a good rifle.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

I'm absolutely not saying Lee is junk. Just making a point that if they don't have the same warranty as Dillon, you can replace it several times over for the cost difference in the two machines.

Thank you for clarifying the additional costs ... I figured there was more to the story.

FWIW, my only experience with these presses is through others who reload metallic cartridges. I was strictly a shotgun reloader when I reloaded, and my machine is an inherited Ponsness-Warren Du-O-Matic. But, I like to keep up with this sort of thing for the day when I'm able to start reloading metallic cartridges.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Yep, one stay of execution per lifetime. If one goes to all the trouble to detangle oneself financially, etc from someone, why ever go back. Started with 100% of your stuff, then with 50% of your stuff left, no way, I'd be going all in again to end up with at best 25%. That's a sucker's bet.
    I agree, she cheated on him years ago. He built 2 new houses with her, completing the last one less than a year ago, with a heated 20 x 50 feet pole barn on 5 acres.....sold that, losing money on it. He kind of had a "mid-life" crisis, started dating, had his last serious g-friend out on our pontoon over the 4th of July......thought she was a real keeper.....next thing I know he wants to get back together with his ex.....

:bash: :nuts: :wallbash:......and of course....... :spend: :spend: :spend:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom