• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    So I'm not supposed to just spit and polish?

GM all. Coffee or murder. I have yet to dive into advanced cleaning techniques. I mostly use rods, but will run a snake if it's just a quick wipe down. Depending on the firearm, I clean after a certain round count. Some more thorough as I'm more comfortable in disassembly.
    Yep, this is new for me as well. I've got more to learn. Of course I never want to stop learning so you all help me out a lot!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Speaking of cleaning, I found this stuff for cleaning a 6.5 Creedmoor that I never used (sold the rifle before ever doing anything with it).

If anyone in here wants these items, send me a PM with your shipping info and you can have them. FOR FREE.

Keep the mislabeled Hoppe's .243 brush. The label should read ".22LR Chamber Brush". Use it to remove carbon rings.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    For what it is worth, I generally don't do any more to the bore that run a cleaning bore snake and then an oiled bore snake.

The action areas I will spit shine but I leave the barrel alone. Exception would be lead fouling which, IMHO, should be mostly removed.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    For what it is worth, I generally don't do any more to the bore that run a cleaning bore snake and then an oiled bore snake.

The action areas I will spit shine but I leave the barrel alone. Exception would be lead fouling which, IMHO, should be mostly removed.

Well yeah, but don't you mostly lose at shooting competitions? :stickpoke:

Mileage payback.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Yes, but, as you point out, it is my gun, not me.

I hope BCannon is smiling right now.
    Yup :):

Ill admit I should've taken the first rifle offered to me but I wouldn't have the new office and view if I did. That shiny new placard on the door is suuhhweeet :cool:. To be honest I still think it was mostly related to the quality of the gun but don't tell management.

A lot of variables with this also, might need to run more testing and QC at the next SGE..

Last edited:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Back to Mr. J. Bennett 's (true identity now known) ;) question: before my guns go back in the safe, every possible form of fouling/contamination is removed from the bore. I usually do a two-part cleaning.....first, with Hoppes#9, then with CLP. Before the final protective coating of oil is applied, my bores are so clean that they're practically to a hospital level of sanitation. Yes, I know that's not necessary, but (as Popeye would say), "I am what I am" !

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I went back to sleep around 9:30, slept till noon. Then had to run around and get things done. Headlights on the Trailblazer got pushed off till tomorrow. MCFG run got pushed off due to being awake stupid early, and needing to get stuff ready for work tonight.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom