Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I picked up all necessary bits to do oil, new air filters, and other general PM on both vehicles. With the sale and my perks I saved almost $80 on the goods. I am also cheap.
    I actually miss having time to do all the PM and repairs on our vehicles. Wouldn't want to make a career out of it but I enjoy wrenching on a car. Especially if the block is iron and orange. :cool:

The only cars I HATED working on was a series of BMWs (sorry 88) we owned and put 200k on each one. Great cars but dang....hard to work on. I had this little plastic retainer break in the rear window sunscreen. Dealer wanted something like $500 (?) to replace. I refused and did it myself. Literally a $.50 part but (also literally) darned near required disassembly of the entire car.

The dealer was right in the cost....

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I actually miss having time to do all the PM and repairs on our vehicles. Wouldn't want to make a career out of it but I enjoy wrenching on a car. Especially if the block is iron and orange. :cool:

The only cars I HATED working on was a series of BMWs (sorry 88) we owned and put 200k on each one. Great cars but dang....hard to work on. I had this little plastic retainer break in the rear window sunscreen. Dealer wanted something like $500 (?) to replace. I refused and did it myself. Literally a $.50 part but (also literally) darned near required disassembly of the entire car.

The dealer was right in the cost....
    Time.. lol. I do basic stuff. I'm not that inclined under the hood. Something about combustible engines makes me retread. I've just never figured why I'd pay someone to do something I can do. It all comes back to me being cheap. I do accessorize really well though.

I miss my old AMC motors. All trail fixes were done with duck tape or a wire coat hanger.

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    What's the plans for the weekend?
    I'll be replacing the headlights on the Trailblazer this weekend. I have polished them twice and the last polish lasted the summer. The old ones have microfractures all over them. so I got some replacement ones.

I might run out to MCFG, sight in Dad's old rifle, maybe take the lever action for fun. Both are .22LR rifles.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I'll be replacing the headlights on the Trailblazer this weekend. I have polished them twice and the last polish lasted the summer. The old ones have microfractures all over them. so I got some replacement ones.

I might run out to MCFG, sight in Dad's old rifle, maybe take the lever action for fun. Both are .22LR rifles.
    Sounds stellar. I need a rimfire day. Scope on the 9422 needs sighted and test new mags in the 93v .22WMR

Everything is tuned and ready for November already so it'll be a freeplay day.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have to sneak away and do a little INGO'ing every now and then.:cool:
    LOL

Monday I get to go up to Elwood and test Snapper's warranty on their commercial mowers. Top tapered bearing on the LF wheel spindle took a **** after a year on the job. Supposed to be 4yr warranty. Not a happy camper as I need to mow.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    You must’ve never worked on an Audi then lol. Im pretty sure Audis were designed by closet Nazis just to torture mechanics.

My daughter had an A6 Quattro until it grenaded at 175k miles. Drove that car through high school and most of college. Then I bought her a poor man’s Audi A6 - Volkswagen Passat.

That Audi would go through a foot of snow without any concern.

Her boyfriend bought that VW and now she drives a Jeep. Once she was paying for it herself, German cars lost there appeal.

Long story. Lol

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I miss my old AMC motors. All trail fixes were done with duck tape or a wire coat hanger.
    No screw driver handle?

Was with a buddy in my teen years in his VW Beatle. There was a quick up and down hill we liked to get good air on. Came down one day and the engine died. Being mostly clueless, we looked in the owner's manual and were advised the problem was most likely a stuck carburetor float. The recommended fix was to smack the float bowl a few times with a screw driver handle. It worked. All vehicles should come with a manual for resolving "getting air" problems. :lmfao:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My latest gun-related rabbit hole is copper fouling.:faint:

I've been reading different articles, forums, etc. The opinions cover the whole spectrum. Some use copper remover every time they shoot, some say Hoppe's 9 removes "enough" copper, some don't clean out the copper at all. I guess I've been in the camp of cleaning the gun every range trip, if I notice excessive copper, I'll address it.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    No screw driver handle?

Was with a buddy in my teen years in his VW Beatle. There was a quick up and down hill we liked to get good air on. Came down one day and the engine died. Being mostly clueless, we looked in the owner's manual and were advised the problem was most likely a stuck carburetor float. The recommended fix was to smack the float bowl a few times with a screw driver handle. It worked. All vehicles should come with a manual for resolving "getting air" problems. :lmfao:
    I used the handle to tap the solenoid on my dying starter of the '93 YJ for months.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Revised!

Founders: Birds Away, llh1956, Churchmouse
    President/CEO: Churchmouse
    Research & Development: T-Dogg
    Quality Control: bcannon
    Product Improvement & Engineering: llh1956
    Refinishing & Machining: AllenM
    Transportation: mcapo
    Laboratory & Data Analysis: 88E30M50
    Purchasing: gmcttr, mcapo
    Field Operations: patience0830
    Archives: LeadEye
    Interstate Relations: KJQ6945
    Demolitions & Spiritual Guidance: Mindful Man
    Cafeteria & Healthcare: wtburnette, patience0830
    Marksmanship Division: BenP, Wingrider1800, patience0830, bcannon, gmcttr
    Human Resources: Churchmouse, mcapo
    Shop Helpers: BRC, bennettjh
    Online Support: WebSnyper
    Amish Relations: wtburnette
    Domestic Relations & Retirees Management: ChrisK
    Hardware Support Department: rkwhyte2
    Lost and Found: Hannabone
    Door Greeter & Customer Relations: Ruger Ronin
    Varmint Relations: mmpSteve
    Intelligence Director: Haven

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Revised!

Founders: Birds Away, llh1956, Churchmouse
    President/CEO: Churchmouse
    Research & Development: T-Dogg
    Quality Control: bcannon
    Product Improvement & Engineering: llh1956
    Refinishing & Machining: AllenM
    Transportation: mcapo
    Laboratory & Data Analysis: 88E30M50
    Purchasing: gmcttr, mcapo
    Field Operations: patience0830
    Archives: LeadEye
    Interstate Relations: KJQ6945
    Demolitions & Spiritual Guidance: Mindful Man
    Cafeteria & Healthcare: wtburnette, patience0830
    Marksmanship Division: BenP, Wingrider1800, patience0830, bcannon, gmcttr
    Human Resources: Churchmouse, mcapo
    Shop Helpers: BRC, bennettjh
    Online Support: WebSnyper
    Amish Relations: wtburnette
    Domestic Relations & Retirees Management: ChrisK
    Hardware Support Department: rkwhyte2
    Lost and Found: Hannabone
    Door Greeter & Customer Relations: Ruger Ronin
    Varmint Relations: mmpSteve
    Intelligence Director: Haven

I like my title ! :cool:
    United, in the brotherhood of BIG BOOMS !

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I should have added to my previous post, what is the groups thoughts on copper fouling removing? Just when needed, after X amount of rounds?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom