Not open for further replies.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've been researching front & rear shooting bags, rests and whatnot.

Someone in here gave me a damn complex....

:faint:

Get back at us by ordering that T-Rex mcapo posted or a SEB. Buy the time you get it you will have been able to save up for it and we will be all jelly and drool.

Or you can get the moderately priced version (Caldwell Fire Control Rest) and I still might be jelly.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The protektor model aluminum front rest has a windage model also.

I watched a video on the bald eagle rest and when the flexible windage control was turned, it wound up a little and then the actual windage shaft released and jumped. I could see it being very frustrating getting the crosshairs aligned. I got the impression in another article that many shooters were modifying it to place a knob directly on the shaft. No, I didn't save the links.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The protektor model aluminum front rest has a windage model also.

I watched a video on the bald eagle rest and when the flexible windage control was turned, it wound up a little and then the actual windage shaft released and jumped. I could see it being very frustrating getting the crosshairs aligned. I got the impression in another article that many shooters were modifying it to place a knob directly on the shaft. No, I didn't save the links.
    I think I might just order that Caldwell BR combo on Midway and get the rubber feet also. Seems like a lot of people like it until they get up the more expensive stuff or upgrade the top with that Greenlaw unit.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm not sure the greenlaw top will fit the caldwell rests. I far as I can determine, the Sinclair tops will not fit caldwell.

The Caldwell BR is very nice as it is. My only complaint is if you want to put other brand bags on it you may have to slightly modify them.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I think I might just order that Caldwell BR combo on Midway and get the rubber feet also. Seems like a lot of people like it until they get up the more expensive stuff or upgrade the top with that Greenlaw unit.

The rubber feet are not a convenient design IMHO. They are just resting spots for the pointed metal ones with no mechanical attachment.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The rubber feet are not a convenient design IMHO. They are just resting spots for the pointed metal ones with no mechanical attachment.
    They do make it difficult to move the rest. I got a hole cutter set and can easily cut rubber washers for you guys to glue to your rests. Barge rubber cement does an excellent job.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I hauled my new 29.5 lb. monstrosity to the FGE, but it never came out of the truck. It was earmarked to use with the centerfire rifle competition(s), and had the Blue Mink in mind to support.

i-XtLJvpS-L.jpg

In leu of the new bag rest, I've used my Caldwell Stinger in the past. Patience said that he "liked it", when he tried it at a mini-gather last summer. I'm still not totally sold on it ....but it beats a wad of game-worn socks ! ;)

i-TD5RJt2-L.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I have the Lead Sled 3 and it seems to be geared more towards traditional rifles without a pistol grip, mainly because the center support bar is a single bar straight down the middle instead of a dual bar with a gap that allows the pistol grip or extend-o mag to sit into. I got it from gmcttr (shocker, I know) and I haven't really bonded with it yet.

1633562803255.png

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's official Kathy & I are moving down to Lawrence and within 1.5 miles from our Daughter's house! More time and easier to visit the kids & Granddaughter. Closing was today and we will be moving on the 16th! It's been something we have wanted to do for a long time.

Congrats! Anything that gets you more grandkid time is a win.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    It's official Kathy & I are moving down to Lawrence and within 1.5 miles from our Daughter's house! More time and easier to visit the kids & Granddaughter. Closing was today and we will be moving on the 16th! It's been something we have wanted to do for a long time.

That’s very exciting and I am glad for you but did you think about how it affects me? I had a system in place. Lol

Seriously though - Congratulations!!!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Marion County Fish & Game requires the rubber feet, but then their benches are made of concrete.
    Noticed this when I took my rifle last time. Honestly before that I had not been to the main line in years as I had just been shooting steel in the bays with pistols.

Need to figure out some rubber foot pads for my rest before I go back to the main firing line with my 17. I may just glue something on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom