T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning all

I think about and pray for CM almost every day. Reflecting a bit, without CM, BA and the Wizard bringing us all together, where the hell would all of us be? Thankful for everything this group has allowed me to be a part of, the good, the bad and the ugly included. The only reason I've stuck around Ingo is because of this group. Very thankful for our big family that we all choose to be a part of every day. Ya'll are the best and keep me coming back time after time. God Bless.

CZ :patriot: :ingo:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Afternoon all, looked at a couple of Rami’s today. Decided the size was not enough smaller than my 75 D PCR to invest in one for EDC.
    saw a used Chzechmate while I was out. Sweet, but I don’t compete and would be divorced I if I came home with one.

Keeping CM in all my prayers.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Okay fellas, what is the proper way to measure a group?
    Center to Center but that is not always easy to do. So just measure outside to outside minus the bullet caliber.

If the groups aren't touching, measuring outside to inside of the furthest two holes would give you the same number.

Then reduce by 10% before posting on INGO.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Okay fellas, what is the proper way to measure a group?

This is a copy and paste from a recent conversation I had on this topic...

First off, understand when I measure a group I am most likely off several thousands. I try to error not in my favor to be honest with myself.

After years of measuring groups I have a pretty good feel for where the center of a bullet hole would be even if I can only make out a small portion of its outer edge. Measure several groups where the individual holes are clear and you will quickly develop the same feel for where the center of a hole is from just a fraction of it's edge being identifiable.

Another method is to measure out to out on the holes and subtract one bullet diameter (barrel ID) to get center to center. This works best with heavy tagboard targets and wadcutter bullets that provide a truer picture of the hole diameters. With .22LR and other round nose bullets the paper is pushed out of the way and closes back in some. I often use targets printed on copy paper and it is the worst for this. I just measured some .22 holes in copy paper and measuring out to the black smear the bullet leaves, I was getting readings of 0.18-0.19" whereas the actual bore diameter for .22LR should be in the 0.221"-.222" range. With tagboard targets (the heavy paper manila ones) you will get a more accurate hole size. So even with this method you have to develop a feel for it. Measure a couple of clean bullet holes on your target and subtract that from your out-to-out measurement.

A third way many shooters are using (I haven't yet) is by using any of several apps to take a photo and manually placing circles to represent each shoot as best as you can.

I'm most comfortable at this point directly measuring my best guesstimate of center to center.

Hope this is of some help.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom