Not open for further replies.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Had a good range day with MM despite planning on doing "precision" shooting and leaving my rest and rear bag at home. Luckily I had put a bipod in the range bag and stuffed a shirt into a small bag with an ammo box under it to gain some height for a rear rest. Not near as good as my usual setup but those saved the day.

All groups were high since the scope on my Bergara .308 is zeroed at 200 yards and I was shooting at 100 yards this time. Five shot groups except one 10 shot group.

PXL_20210803_215844236 (Small).jpg
    PXL_20210803_215915538 (Small).jpg
    PXL_20210803_215925763 (Small).jpg
    PXL_20210803_215935720 (Small).jpg

My usual pattern of nice 4 shot groups with one thrown out prevailed. Yes, these are the cherry picked better groups.

If I had a source I would switch to grenades...I heard close counts with them.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Had a good range day with MM despite planning on doing "precision" shooting and leaving my rest and rear bag at home. Luckily I had put a bipod in the range bag and stuffed a shirt into a small bag with an ammo box under it to gain some height for a rear rest. Not near as good as my usual setup but those saved the day.

All groups were high since the scope on my Bergara .308 is zeroed at 200 yards and I was shooting at 100 yards this time. Five shot groups except one 10 shot group.

View attachment 151356
    View attachment 151357
    View attachment 151358
    View attachment 151359

My usual pattern of nice 4 shot groups with one thrown out prevailed. Yes, these are the cherry picked better groups.

If I had a source I would switch to grenades...I heard close counts with them.
    Any pattern? Throwing the 4th shot every time? That would be weird but it would at least give you a pattern to chase.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Any pattern? Throwing the 4th shot every time? That would be weird but it would at least give you a pattern to chase.
    Not if you consider other range trips as well. For just today, the 1st 2-3 shots were tight and either the 4th or 5th shot would be out. Was the same with 2 different handloads. The 10 round group was Federal Gold 175 gr SMK's and went similarly. Did not seem to matter whether the barrel was cool on the 1st shot or hot. Mostly hot on this warm day.

My conclusion is it's me. My finger on the trigger was the over-riding pattern. :D

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    With some excellent pointers from Tarzan, I improved (a little) during my range session. Still, I need a lot of work to obtain any consistency.
    However, as usual, I had a fabulous day with my host.

Thanks Tarzan ..... you're the BEST ! :chest:

Like the rest of you, I'm saddened to hear of CM's setback.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Just got in from this evenings job. Currently sipping on a little George Dickel Bottled in Bond. Pretty tasty stuff. Bummed that CM is back in the ICU but at least he was already in the hospital. Prayers will continue for both CM and his family.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    BTW, while Tarzan was doing his usual heroic, legendary shooting ...... I was pounding-out shots like these.. Yeah, pathetic, I know !
    But I don't mind telling on myself. And even in totality, that 9-shot (?) group is still probably better than the 3-shot 7"+ one that I shot at the Spring Gala event.

Much more work is needed ! :wallbash: .... but I'm not going away anytime soon !

i-4gBNB97-L.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

Too little sleep last night. Will probably need resleep later.

BTW, while Tarzan was doing his usual heroic, legendary shooting ...... I was pounding-out shots like these.. Yeah, pathetic, I know !
    But I don't mind telling on myself. And even in totality, that 9-shot (?) group is still probably better than the 3-shot 7"+ one that I shot at the Spring Gala event.

Much more work is needed ! :wallbash: .... but I'm not going away anytime soon !

i-4gBNB97-L.jpg

If you haven't done the break in for your barrel yet, those kind of groups are to be expected. As I mentioned previously, I think I was around 80 rounds through the barrel before I got my first sub-MOA group with my Bergara. I believe it was about the same for 88 with his Tikka. Worth spending the time to get the barrel broke in, then you just need to figure out the ammo the barrel likes... :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom