Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It was a great afternoon to squeeze in a quick range trip with friends. I also shot the 3” model 13 S&W and managed 4 of 6 on steel at 100 yards. The new Shield Plus got another 25 rounds to check sights and the Sig 716i got a box run through it to check function after the A2 stock mod. We played with a Sig P229 a bit as well and that thing feels like a .22lr compared to the Shield. The shield felt good but the P229 felt really good

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Care to share specifics of the Tikka setup?

This is a box stock Tikka T3X with the Bushnell optic that you run on your rifle. This is the optic that you recommended. I found that the rifle likes the Australian Outback 168g HPBT as well as the PineValleyMunitions 168g ammo. I need to run some of the PVM through a chrono to see what kind of velocity it’s running with and then try to duplicate it with reloads. At about $3 a round, I cannot afford to buy it often, even if it were available.

This is the rifle I used on the 200 yard match at the SGE and it did well there too. Tikka has a sub-MOA guarantee and supposedly will not ship a rifle until it proves capable of shooting a sub-MOA group. It’s only a $1000 rifle. Mags are wicked expensive though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It’s the rifle, not me. Others, including yourself, have outshot me with it.

Odd thing on this rifle is, I didn’t break the barrel in. I just shot it a bunch and initially, it was sucking but once north of about 60 rounds, it kind of settled in. It definitely likes a couple of fouling shots if it has been cleaned before shooting though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Quick question: After getting home tonight, I realized that I don’t have the scope covers for the .22lr I was shooting. Did anyone find an extra set of bikini scope covers laying around after I bolted? If not, I’ll double check my stuff as they may be stuck in a corner of a range bag or something.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    This is a box stock Tikka T3X with the Bushnell optic that you run on your rifle. This is the optic that you recommended. I found that the rifle likes the Australian Outback 168g HPBT as well as the PineValleyMunitions 168g ammo. I need to run some of the PVM through a chrono to see what kind of velocity it’s running with and then try to duplicate it with reloads. At about $3 a round, I cannot afford to buy it often, even if it were available.

This is the rifle I used on the 200 yard match at the SGE and it did well there too. Tikka has a sub-MOA guarantee and supposedly will not ship a rifle until it proves capable of shooting a sub-MOA group. It’s only a $1000 rifle. Mags are wicked expensive though.
    I really need to get my stuff in order. Man, hearing this from you really has me excited.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really need to get my stuff in order. Man, hearing this from you really has me excited.

An afternoon spent behind a decent rifle is incredibly stress relieving. Add in a warm afternoon with little wind (mostly) and good friends and it gets no better. The only thing that would have been better would be if we were all camping out at the range and could have finished the evening with a campfire and a bit of bourbon.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    After 88, WT and SS left the range it was just myself and a longtime HHRP member. He was shooting an Anschutz 13xx .22LR (not sure of the model #) at 100, 150 and 200yards. Beautiful rifle.

I finally got my (only) mil dot scope dialed in and settled in popping a 2" 'gong' at 100 yards with my CZ 527 At One. Went through a box of Lapua Center X like it didn't cost nothing at all.

I proceeded to the pistol bay and ran ~90 rounds through the DW V-Bob. Found the commander length pistol to be a bit snappier than my Government sized 1911's.

It was a very fine afternoon.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hey, mcapo...I was thinking the V-Bob was snappier than your shorter AllenM 1911. I just remembered yours has a bull barrel. That may make all the difference??? May be one of the reasons Allen recommends them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hey, mcapo...I was thinking the V-Bob was snappier than your shorter AllenM 1911. I just remembered yours has a bull barrel. That may make all the difference??? May be one of the reasons Allen recommends them.
    I have a DW Commander size A2 and it never struck me as being snappy. Does yours have a steel or aluminum frame?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Maybe a little AllenM tuning, as well. He starts with a government and chops it down to his preference.

It is a smooth little runner.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom