Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morningfolks!

Morning all... :coffee:

Up again after ~6.5 hours sleep for some reason. Couldn't get back to sleep, so here I am.

On my main desktop system, I have 2 drives, one Linux Mint and the other the original Windows install. About 95% of the time I am in Linux, but I rarely have the need to boot my Windows drive (chosen through BIOS boot menu). Unfortunately my printer/scanner combo scanner portion only works under Windows. When I have something I need to scan in to send somewhere, I have to boot Winbloze.

The only snag I've run into so far is that QuickLoad will only install from CD. I'm installing from CD but in the VM, it's not seeing it that way. I'll figure that out, but realistically, I don't really need QuickLoad on my laptop if I can't figure it out.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m not familiar with Linux, but I believe windows runs better on my Mac mini as a vm than it runs on a windows machine.

As a ditcher, 80% of us are running the same design software, windows only, and no one really believes me when I tell them that. I’m not smart enough to know why, I just know I hate windows. But I’m also not smart enough to know why I should probably like Linux.
    I've been playing with Linux since the 90s when you used to load from a tall stack of floppy disks. Back in 2000, I kept a Linux system on my desk at work for parsing huge data files that I'd get a couple of times each week. I only really embraced it as my main O/S last year and will not go back to Windows or a Mac now.

To me, the main appeal comes from having total control over my system. There's nothing on there that I don't want and nobody is collecting information that I have not given consent to collect. It functions better than Windows on like equipment and is less cumbersome than a Mac.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m not familiar with Linux, but I believe windows runs better on my Mac mini as a vm than it runs on a windows machine.

As a ditcher, 80% of us are running the same design software, windows only, and no one really believes me when I tell them that. I’m not smart enough to know why, I just know I hate windows. But I’m also not smart enough to know why I should probably like Linux.
    I should add that Windows might be running better in a VM due to not having direct access to the hardware. Windows likes to monopolize hardware, and it just can not do that in a VM.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do some things in Windows - some things on a Mac - and run a PLEX server on Linux Mint

But lately seem to be doing more on a iPhone
    I went for several years doing 90% of my home computing with an iPad Pro and keyboard. I'm enjoying dusting the old equipment off and running more capable programs again. Plus, playing with Linux keeps my aging brain young :)

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    All this nerd talk, I had to make sure I was on INGO and not a tech forum.

Windows isn't as bad as it used to be, Linux is WAY better than it used to be. I started doing things with Linux back in the mid-90s.

At one point I was on a contract down in Evansville. I was using my personal laptop because the company that I worked for didn't give me a laptop, and the customer didn't give me a computer either. Someone kept messing with my laptop. So one weekend, I reformatted the laptop, and put Linux on it. Figured out how to connect to AT&T without their software so I could get an Internet connection. When I walked away from my laptop, I was able to lock it and no one would mess with it.

I have through the years had Linux systems at home. However, since I play PC games, I always have a Windows Gaming system.

I have a Linux VM on my Macbook Pro, which I use quite often. I don't get into the OS wars anymore, mainly because I don't care. I can use anything and get what I need out of it.

Mac OSX, Windows, Linux all have their advantages, and disadvantages, and I like them all.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Windows isn't as bad as it used to be, Linux is WAY better than it used to be. I started doing things with Linux back in the mid-90s.

At one point I was on a contract down in Evansville. I was using my personal laptop because the company that I worked for didn't give me a laptop, and the customer didn't give me a computer either. Someone kept messing with my laptop. So one weekend, I reformatted the laptop, and put Linux on it. Figured out how to connect to AT&T without their software so I could get an Internet connection. When I walked away from my laptop, I was able to lock it and no one would mess with it.

I have through the years had Linux systems at home. However, since I play PC games, I always have a Windows Gaming system.

I have a Linux VM on my Macbook Pro, which I use quite often. I don't get into the OS wars anymore, mainly because I don't care. I can use anything and get what I need out of it.

Mac OSX, Windows, Linux all have their advantages, and disadvantages, and I like them all.
    I'll probably always have a Windows system since I like to run flight sims (DCS, FS2020, X-Plane, Sturmovik). I've never had the rabid dislike for Win10 that some have, but really prefer a nice, clean system for day to day work. I don't like having things on a system that I'm not allowed to remove for no other reason than the OS maker really wants to promote it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Headed out to the range for GPT with WT, later all!

Had a great range session with the Wizard this morning. The weekend looks much brighter now :cool:

Windows isn't as bad as it used to be... I have to disagree with that statement. Current Windows SUCKS compared to Windows 7. To me, that was their pinnacle because they weren't trying to shove some mobile first hybrid OS down everyone's throats. Mobile is big, we get it, but the OS would be MUCH more user friendly if they kept the mobile/touchscreen stuff away from the primary desktop OS users and vice versa. Back in the day I was among those with the opinion that a simple detection routine, or a prompt would fix that whole issue and nothing has changed my mind since. The other thing is the privacy issues that seem to grow worse with each new version. I supported Windows for 16 years and was always a fan, right up until the EOL for Windows 7. Now every system except the one I use for work is Linux.

BTW, I don't game much any more, but I am very impressed with how Steam has changed Linux gaming. It's not perfect, but you can run a TON of games on Linux now. That was one of the reasons I kept a Windows drive on my desktop rig, but I haven't had to boot into Windows for gaming in over a year.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For those interested in swag:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Had a great range session with the Wizard this morning. The weekend looks much brighter now :cool:

Windows isn't as bad as it used to be... I have to disagree with that statement. Current Windows SUCKS compared to Windows 7. To me, that was their pinnacle because they weren't trying to shove some mobile first hybrid OS down everyone's throats. Mobile is big, we get it, but the OS would be MUCH more user friendly if they kept the mobile/touchscreen stuff away from the primary desktop OS users and vice versa. Back in the day I was among those with the opinion that a simple detection routine, or a prompt would fix that whole issue and nothing has changed my mind since. The other thing is the privacy issues that seem to grow worse with each new version. I supported Windows for 16 years and was always a fan, right up until the EOL for Windows 7. Now every system except the one I use for work is Linux.

BTW, I don't game much any more, but I am very impressed with how Steam has changed Linux gaming. It's not perfect, but you can run a TON of games on Linux now. That was one of the reasons I kept a Windows drive on my desktop rig, but I haven't had to boot into Windows for gaming in over a year.
    One thing that I want to play with given a VM based windows installation is Win10 Lite. There are scripts available that strip out all of the uneeded crap in windows. I wouldn't run that on a live machine, but it might be fun to see just how lite I can get Win10 to go in a VM

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom