88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good Morning : My Lil PeepHoles.!!

Des Moines has a lot going on this week - weekend.

Wakonda CC has the yearly Senior Pro Tour starting today. My grandson & I have tickets. We shall see.

It's only 2 blocks over from where I/we live - so it's right there.

-======================================-

Gotta go get my bike from the Omaha/Council Bluffs dealership that did the estimate.

Oh -- I didn't tell ya about that.?

Well on my return trip from Salida CO to Des Moines [about 20 minutes into the 820 mile ride back home and the end of a 3200 mile week trip] 20 deer ran from behind me @ the 4:00 o'clock position heading on a dead sprint to the 10:00 o'clock position.

I almost made it past #1 who was leading the pack as I steadily rode to the left hand lane on 285..behind #1 was #2 and outside of #2 was #3. As they group neared #3 bumped #2 into my right side fairing of my 2 month old new Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition.!!

Fairing has a hole the size of my head but no internals were damaged.

I amazingly kept it upright.

I assessed the damage and continued to ride the 800 miles home stopping frequently to assess any leaks etc.

Taped up the coolant reservoir to hold it more solidly and made it home.

$1400 later and a 3 months wait for the needed parts I get to ride my new girl back to Iowa from Omaha area tomorrow morning looking just like it went to them 2 days ago.

YAY....I think.

I am counting my blessings, of course - knowing that I have no idea how I kept the scoot upright with that gaggle of 150-180# deer bearing down on me.

I didn't get hurt either - so a lot of plusses and 1 minus....it's all good - it's just parts.

View attachment 279254

View attachment 279255

View attachment 279256
    Glad to have you back with us HB. That's some serious luck there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've come full circle with my personal laptop tonight. In April, I picked up a used laptop and immediately flushed Windows from it and installed Linux Mint 21.2. It took about a week of futzing around with it to get it just right, and since then, I've come to love this system.

Tonight, I reinstalled Win10 with the original activation key, and it's working great. Best part is that Windows now runs in a VM so I can fire it up to run a couple of things that I have not found a replacement for, then kill it when done and enjoy the wonderful world of Linux.

It's handy to have the ability to run Windows for things like QuickLoad or my Garmin GPS map updater. It's even better to kill Windows when done.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Good Morning : My Lil PeepHoles.!!

Des Moines has a lot going on this week - weekend.

Wakonda CC has the yearly Senior Pro Tour starting today. My grandson & I have tickets. We shall see.

It's only 2 blocks over from where I/we live - so it's right there.

-======================================-

Gotta go get my bike from the Omaha/Council Bluffs dealership that did the estimate.

Oh -- I didn't tell ya about that.?

Well on my return trip from Salida CO to Des Moines [about 20 minutes into the 820 mile ride back home and the end of a 3200 mile week trip] 20 deer ran from behind me @ the 4:00 o'clock position heading on a dead sprint to the 10:00 o'clock position.

I almost made it past #1 who was leading the pack as I steadily rode to the left hand lane on 285..behind #1 was #2 and outside of #2 was #3. As they group neared #3 bumped #2 into my right side fairing of my 2 month old new Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition.!!

Fairing has a hole the size of my head but no internals were damaged.

I amazingly kept it upright.

I assessed the damage and continued to ride the 800 miles home stopping frequently to assess any leaks etc.

Taped up the coolant reservoir to hold it more solidly and made it home.

$1400 later and a 3 months wait for the needed parts I get to ride my new girl back to Iowa from Omaha area tomorrow morning looking just like it went to them 2 days ago.

YAY....I think.

I am counting my blessings, of course - knowing that I have no idea how I kept the scoot upright with that gaggle of 150-180# deer bearing down on me.

I didn't get hurt either - so a lot of plusses and 1 minus....it's all good - it's just parts.

View attachment 279254

View attachment 279255

View attachment 279256
    Wow! I'm glad you're okay!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

Up again after ~6.5 hours sleep for some reason. Couldn't get back to sleep, so here I am.

I've come full circle with my personal laptop tonight. In April, I picked up a used laptop and immediately flushed Windows from it and installed Linux Mint 21.2. It took about a week of futzing around with it to get it just right, and since then, I've come to love this system.

Tonight, I reinstalled Win10 with the original activation key, and it's working great. Best part is that Windows now runs in a VM so I can fire it up to run a couple of things that I have not found a replacement for, then kill it when done and enjoy the wonderful world of Linux.

It's handy to have the ability to run Windows for things like QuickLoad or my Garmin GPS map updater. It's even better to kill Windows when done.

On my main desktop system, I have 2 drives, one Linux Mint and the other the original Windows install. About 95% of the time I am in Linux, but I rarely have the need to boot my Windows drive (chosen through BIOS boot menu). Unfortunately my printer/scanner combo scanner portion only works under Windows. When I have something I need to scan in to send somewhere, I have to boot Winbloze.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

I’m not familiar with Linux, but I believe windows runs better on my Mac mini as a vm than it runs on a windows machine.

As a ditcher, 80% of us are running the same design software, windows only, and no one really believes me when I tell them that. I’m not smart enough to know why, I just know I hate windows. But I’m also not smart enough to know why I should probably like Linux.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom