• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ospreys were scary when they first came out.
    How many men did they kill b4 they got that thing sorta mastered?
    Fewer than the phrog it replaced. But there was a huge accident that killed 24. Since then, it has been “people reasons” for incidents and deaths.

The reason it seemed like they were so dangerous was because of modern media. When it’s predecessor came out there were a lot of incidents, but being it was in the 1960’s (soooo long ago) , the printing press hadn’t been invented yet.
    The military didn’t release bad press if it didn’t have to, and news didn’t spread like it did in the 90’s.

Plus the osprey cost about $93m each in the early 90’s.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ospreys were scary when they first came out.
    How many men did they kill b4 they got that thing sorta mastered?

About 3.1 per 100,000 flight hours.

Don't know but I am a googlepert and the Osprey appears statistically similar. Sure isn't what the media would have us think?

For every 100,000 flight hours, the Osprey has had 3.2 mishaps involving loss of life or damage exceeding $2 million, Marine spokesman Capt. Ty Balzer said in an email. That compares with a rate of 2.98 per 100,000 flight hours for the CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters the Ospreys are replacing.

Source 2015

“The 10-year average mishap rate for MV-22′s is 3.16 per 100,000 flight hours,” Hernandez wrote on July 8. For comparison, that rate is lower than the AV-8 Harrier jet, variants of the F/A-18 Super Hornet, the F-35B fighter jet and the CH-53E Super Stallion. The 3.16 Osprey mishap rate is near the total Marine aviation platform average of 3.1 per 100,000 flight hours, the major wrote.

Source 2022:

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Busy day today.

Had a full day scheduled at a hospital in Indy. This morning I got high priority calls from Logansport, Lebanon, and Richmond. Logansport and Lebanon are done. Just starting my “full day” in Indy now. Still have to get to Richmond afterwards.

Fortunately I don’t often get this crazy busy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom