• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Brought up in another thread and I don’t want to derail.

cost of living difference in wages is largely a load of BS and is used as an excuse to pay us Midwesterners and those in the south a far lower wage than our counterparts in the northeast and western states. Sure there is some difference but is it enough that a carpenter wage in indiana should be roughly $32 and in California it’s 53 with double the $ put in pension fund?

Let’s talk about this scenario that almost happened, kids changed it.

For instance my wife and I almost made the move to Oakland CA (I know gross) for financial reasons. I did the math. My wage would more than double, my wife’s wage would go up 400%. Dry goods, groceries, clothes, cars are the same price here as they are in California. The only real difference is housing cost, utilities and taxes. Why do you think everyone in California is driving bmw,Mercedes, and Tesla?

They put the same 6-10% in a retirement account as we do in indiana, only difference is that number is significantly higher. We were going to buy a house there on a 50 year mortgage, no we would never pay it off but if we lived there for 10 years and sold it we could move back to indiana and buy a house with cash.

It was a 10 year plan to put us far ahead of our peers in indiana financially. Now if the “cost of living” reasoning was valid we would be on the same footing as a peer in indiana after 10 years right?

IMO this is the real reason for the exodus of people flooding to the Midwest and Texas from California. They are selling their not paid off houses or the house they paid less than 100k for in the 70’s and 80’s for more than enough to buy a expensive mini mansion in Carmel for cash. I personally know someone who left the Chicago suburbs and told me “how affordable” Carmel is.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Brought up in another thread and I don’t want to derail.

cost of living difference in wages is largely a load of BS and is used as an excuse to pay us Midwesterners and those in the south a far lower wage than our counterparts in the northeast and western states. Sure there is some difference but is it enough that a carpenter wage in indiana should be roughly $32 and in California it’s 53 with double the $ put in pension fund?

Let’s talk about this scenario that almost happened, kids changed it.

For instance my wife and I almost made the move to Oakland CA (I know gross) for financial reasons. I did the math. My wage would more than double, my wife’s wage would go up 400%. Dry goods, groceries, clothes, cars are the same price here as they are in California. The only real difference is housing cost, utilities and taxes. Why do you think everyone in California is driving bmw,Mercedes, and Tesla?

They put the same 6-10% in a retirement account as we do in indiana, only difference is that number is significantly higher. We were going to buy a house there on a 50 year mortgage, no we would never pay it off but if we lived there for 10 years and sold it we could move back to indiana and buy a house with cash.

It was a 10 year plan to put us far ahead of our peers in indiana financially. Now if the “cost of living” reasoning was valid we would be on the same footing as a peer in indiana after 10 years right?

IMO this is the real reason for the exodus of people flooding to the Midwest and Texas from California. They are selling their not paid off houses or the house they paid less than 100k for in the 70’s and 80’s for more than enough to buy a expensive mini mansion in Carmel for cash. I personally know someone who left the Chicago suburbs and told me “how affordable” Carmel is.
    That's what was happening all over, a colleague from IU took a job at Univ of Utah in Salt Lake City, real estate there was always a bit high but people are coming in and paying cash now crappy little ranches are over 300K.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Carmel should be called "little Chicago." And now it's bleeding over to the rest of town.

But 1nder is correct, not only is housing outrageous out there, but they kill you with taxes. Depending on income, the State Income Tax can be upwards to double digits. What is that money used for? Have you ever driven around a California suburb containing a Community College at about 9am in the morning, and seen what is coming out of the woodwork? You're paying stupid mortgage + taxes for a shtty little house, and the taxes are supporting 2 million people statewide (~ 1/3 the population of Indiana) attending "free" Community College, basically a two-year extension of High School. And it's not just students, everybody with some kind of "teaching credential" off a Frosted Flakes box is collecting an extra income from it. It's a full-employment state for teachers - the usual racket is to retire, teach community college a couple nights a week, and with state pension + teaching english to "the horde" they're making more money than they did when they were working. More migrants, more students, more racket.

It's all a matter of what you're willing to put up with. Companies pay what they have to, not a penny more.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The cost of everyday items is not the same. I've seen it real time working in Chicago and living in IN. The price of gas, groceries, dining out, and services for example are all higher. Add the cost of buying a house and then the high property taxes, and the cost of living there is much higher.

Walmart actually opened a grocery store downtown Chicago for a while. I was blown away, because it actually did have the same exact prices we had here.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I get that there are non-economic reasons why a person doesn't want to move to make more money. So do those who pay wages and negotiate CBAs.

The question is whether the real wage difference, accounting for costs, plus the non-economic factors will be enough to keep workers, largely, where they are. Seems like the market has found that number.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It's all a matter of what you're willing to put up with. Companies pay what they have to, not a penny more.

Absolute truth...

Its the economic model 'Capitalism'.
    Lowest cost of production, highest price they can charge...
    All profits flowing to the top.

While so many prang on 'Liberals' for changes in education, it's a systematic attack by big business...

If you can hire a 6-12 year old for 10¢ a day, no benefits, no insurance, then they will do just that.
    See "Breaker Boys" for instance, breaking chunk coal into stoker size pieces,
    Or see any sweat shop in the current economy.

If you can keep the population ignorant, they stay pregnant & poor, and you can take advantage of that for your own profit margin.

If you do a little research, you will find labor unions is one of the reasons colonists fought the American revolution, the right to orgnize & collective bargin...
    BUT,
    The people pulling the strings on the 'Conservative' movement got 'Right To Work' passed to cripple unions... And the economic middle class...

If you have ever had to use workman's compensation, the employer/insurance company gets to pick your treatment!
    NOT YOUR DOCTOR!
    They get to approve or disapprove any treatment or doctor if they choose...
    They also get to decide when you are ready to return to work, NOT YOUR DOCTOR.

Then, knowing you haven't been working, you have to hire doctors & lawyers to prove you are still messed up...
    And we all know how slow & expensive the legal system is.

Now, if you can find a niche market you can do pretty good, find something that flies under the radar of big business...

If you get too big, make too much profits and get noticed,
    Then 'Capitalism' kicks in and some backed company will undersell you, loosing money (capital) until you are bankrupt, then jack the market price WAY up on what you used to do.

Now, if you want to go back to the days of "Company Stores", get paid in corporation 'Script' instead of real money, have an overseer in everything you do in life, then keep voting the way you have been...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Absolute truth...

Its the economic model 'Capitalism'.
    Lowest cost of production, highest price they can charge...
    All profits flowing to the top.

While so many prang on 'Liberals' for changes in education, it's a systematic attack by big business...

If you can hire a 6-12 year old for 10¢ a day, no benefits, no insurance, then they will do just that.
    See "Breaker Boys" for instance, breaking chunk coal into stoker size pieces,
    Or see any sweat shop in the current economy.

If you can keep the population ignorant, they stay pregnant & poor, and you can take advantage of that for your own profit margin.

If you do a little research, you will find labor unions is one of the reasons colonists fought the American revolution, the right to orgnize & collective bargin...
    BUT,
    The people pulling the strings on the 'Conservative' movement got 'Right To Work' passed to cripple unions... And the economic middle class...

If you have ever had to use workman's compensation, the employer/insurance company gets to pick your treatment!
    NOT YOUR DOCTOR!
    They get to approve or disapprove any treatment or doctor if they choose...
    They also get to decide when you are ready to return to work, NOT YOUR DOCTOR.

Then, knowing you haven't been working, you have to hire doctors & lawyers to prove you are still messed up...
    And we all know how slow & expensive the legal system is.

Now, if you can find a niche market you can do pretty good, find something that flies under the radar of big business...

If you get too big, make too much profits and get noticed,
    Then 'Capitalism' kicks in and some backed company will undersell you, loosing money (capital) until you are bankrupt, then jack the market price WAY up on what you used to do.

Now, if you want to go back to the days of "Company Stores", get paid in corporation 'Script' instead of real money, have an overseer in everything you do in life, then keep voting the way you have been...
    The only change I'd make in your post is the word Capitalism. We haven't truly operated as capitalists in eons. The Man has is finger on the scale of EVERYTHING. In some form or fashion The Man manipulates pricing, thus affecting demand. Good post though.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It is discrimination. If the cries are to pay men and women the same, then how is that any different than paying someone more because of where they live?

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Carmel should be called "little Chicago." And now it's bleeding over to the rest of town.

But 1nder is correct, not only is housing outrageous out there, but they kill you with taxes. Depending on income, the State Income Tax can be upwards to double digits. What is that money used for? Have you ever driven around a California suburb containing a Community College at about 9am in the morning, and seen what is coming out of the woodwork? You're paying stupid mortgage + taxes for a shtty little house, and the taxes are supporting 2 million people statewide (~ 1/3 the population of Indiana) attending "free" Community College, basically a two-year extension of High School. And it's not just students, everybody with some kind of "teaching credential" off a Frosted Flakes box is collecting an extra income from it. It's a full-employment state for teachers - the usual racket is to retire, teach community college a couple nights a week, and with state pension + teaching english to "the horde" they're making more money than they did when they were working. More migrants, more students, more racket.

California set free education as a primary goal from the beginning (1867).

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    We moved here from Northern Virginia about 11 years ago.
    Wages are significantly higher there than here.
    I find that my SS, and Half my pension give me the ability to live very well here.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I can tell you that we have friends moved here from the east coast that we’re paying $15k per year in property taxes on a house/lot that would garner $1000 max. It was a 2bed/1 bath with 1/2 an acre and a 1 car detached garage assessed for $399k. Same house even in Carmel would have been no more than $150k.

BIL house in jersey was $19k per year in property taxes. That’s an entire mortgage on your Haines to the govt for the rest of your life

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The solution is pretty simple. Don't like what you're being paid? Go work somewhere else that pays more. Or get a second job. Or start your own business.

Ten years ago I was in a dead end career being paid a base salary of under $30k annually. I quit to start my own side hustle and worked four jobs to get it off the ground. I looked for clients that would allow me to build up my own skill set. Eventually I started getting corporate contract work and built up my skill set even further. Within about two years I had more than doubled my annual income. Since then I've taken a full time corporate job because I found a company and gig that I love, but my salary is up close to four times from where I started.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think many of you are missing the point.

If person A lives in indianapolis area in a modest home in the 250k range (buys in 2021) working a trade ~$35 an hour or so

And person B lives in CA, NY,NJ (take your pick) working the same trade in the same type of modest suburban home for 500-800k (on a 50 year note bought 2021) making ~65-80 an hour.

In 20 years person A and person B both move to a small rural town in southern indiana. Who has more wealth?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I was actually thinking along those same lines when I retire. Alot of people would frown on Appalachia but in a place like SE Kentucky you can buy a nice home with 20 acres and a barn for 80k-100k depending on condition. I could sell my home buy one there and put 100k in the bank. And live in a very beautiful part of the country. I know of the drug problems there and your neighbors may have 6 cars and only 1 actually runs but there are also genuinely good people there also. It all depends on who you associate with. I just always wondered how people there respond to people moving there from cities up north. Kinda like I might if my new neighbors had California plates..probably with some apprehension. Anyone have opinions? I would like to hear them

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think many of you are missing the point.

If person A lives in indianapolis area in a modest home in the 250k range (buys in 2021) working a trade ~$35 an hour or so

And person B lives in CA, NY,NJ (take your pick) working the same trade in the same type of modest suburban home for 500-800k (on a 50 year note bought 2021) making ~65-80 an hour.

In 20 years person A and person B both move to a small rural town in southern indiana. Who has more wealth?
    A. Person B has been spending more money to do the same along with more taxes. To pay that $19k in property taxes will take over 1200 hours of that extra $15/ hr. But you won’t be taking home that money because of the local income taxes, the higher gas prices, the yearly vehicle inspections, higher registration costs etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom