• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not much seen is the revolver made by James Cooper's company in Pennsylvania, moving from Pittsburgh to Philly over it's life from about 1850 to 1869. Unlike the other imitators wanting to cash in on Sam Colt's gold mine 1849 revolver, top in the photo, Cooper was able to get around the patent because the hand on his revolver mounted on the trigger. This was part of the rare for it's time double action. The DA was rather new and not received well initially, but the company gained ground, most of the guns sold were from 1864 to 1869 and .36 caliber like the one seen here, middle right. The smaller 31 caliber was fading out and competitors like the Manhattan, middle left in the photo and Colt's 1862 Police, bottom, were small guns in 36 caliber. The ball diameters are actually .32 and .375 respectively.

Parts are unobtainium scarce and I bought two broken guns to get one operational. The DA pull is hard for a small gun, a testament to hard spring pressure to set off caps and a very early understanding of DA mechanics. coopernco.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Damn!

I am a good cook and love the history.....Just wanted to mention that should you ever want a cook to make a good dinner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LE is an endless source for the history around these amazing old guns.
    He restores them and he shoots them.
    He makes some of the parts and casts his own bullets sometimes modifying existing cases in odd caliber to make the entire round.
    He is someone I could sit and listen to for hours.
    And he is a great person.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    You are such a good historian I thought maybe you were connected to them.

No, I just read a lot, an advantage of being semi retired. I've been lucky to escape arthritis so I can still work well with my hands, something I've always enjoyed.:)

Top Bottom