Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Do you realize this is impossible. The purveyors you describe cannot possibly serve everyone. The ones I support are struggling to keep up already…
    Nothing is impossible. All these small processors didn’t leave all at once it’s obvious they won‘t return all at once but there is a move in that direction. If people believe there is a long term demand they will invest time and money.
    All of the ones I know of have either picked up the pace or have plans. One is brand new, started by a farmer that got tired of the wait at another processor, agin he is appears to be slammed packed.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nothing is impossible. All these small processors didn’t leave all at once it’s obvious they won‘t return all at once but there is a move in that direction. If people believe there is a long term demand they will invest time and money.
    All of the ones I know of have either picked up the pace or have plans. One is brand new, started by a farmer that got tired of the wait at another processor, agin he is appears to be slammed packed.
    Seems pretty naive to think that the shops processing local beef can supply all the big box retailers. You know better than that. What small processors got out of the business? I do not know any. All I know are running full tilt. There is just no way they can process the volume sold by big grocery chains. it is impossible without an entire new supply system.

Before the commoditization of cuts instead of sides of beef, my local grocery employed 15-20 butchers per store, not the few cutters they employ now. And that was 30 years ago, it would take so many more to create that system today.

I agree with your point, it is best to get local meat from a local supplier, but they cannot serve everyone…

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Seems pretty naive to think that the shops processing local beef can supply all the big box retailers. You know better than that. What small processors got out of the business? I do not know any. All I know are running full tilt. There is just no way they can process the volume sold by big grocery chains. it is impossible without an entire new supply system.

Before the commoditization of cuts instead of sides of beef, my local grocery employed 15-20 butchers per store, not the few cutters they employ now. And that was 30 years ago, it would take so many more to create that system today.

I agree with your point, it is best to get local meat from a local supplier, but they cannot serve everyone…
    I don’t disagree with what your saying, I’m not naive in thinking everyone would.
    We have lost 3 small processors in the last 5-10 yrs one in Brook IN just a year or so ago. Go back, 20-30 yrs and there was a lot more processors, big processors or at least more than 4. This processor situation we are in is a train wreck waiting to happen. Covid gave us a glimpse, we need a lot more diversity in our food industry.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don’t disagree with what your saying, I’m not naive in thinking everyone would.
    We have lost 3 small processors in the last 5-10 yrs one in Brook IN just a year or so ago. Go back, 20-30 yrs and there was a lot more processors, big processors or at least more than 4. This processor situation we are in is a train wreck waiting to happen. Covid gave us a glimpse, we need a lot more diversity in our food industry.
    I too hate what they have done to our meat supply. I still remember asking a “butcher” at a grocery if it was fresh ground beef. He said yes, only for me to learn that awful crap was “fresh ground” regrind of tube beef, probably loaded with “finely textured beef” to boot.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    30 years ago, the store chain I worked for imported all of the meat for making burger from Australia. It was in 50-60lb frozen slabs. we had a special machine that fit the slabs perfectly that was able to shave off a 3/4 inch thick slice of the completely frozen block. It scared the H*ll out of me. It could have cut through a Femur and never even slowed down.

Most of the other cuts were brought in as quarters and in-store butchers broke them down from there. That don't happen no more.

vulindlela

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2020
    Avon
    I've been stocking up for awhile. For the last 6 months every trip to the store I buy 5 cans of corn, peas, and green beans, along with a few bags of rice and dry beans, and a thing of canned ham or spam. I have plenty of pork and deer meat in my freezer for now, and tons of salt to cure it if needed.

I also have stores of heirloom seeds for lots of plants, along with a garden full of stuff already.

It amazes me how many people only have a few days worth of food in their house. As of right now, i think i could easily go a year without having to buy food. The only thing I might miss is milk, but I have a nice dairy farm about 5 miles from my house and I know the farmers real well.
    We have been stocking up since March 2020 as well.
    Many people I know think we are ridiculous. We shall see.

Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    There is no shortage. They’re manipulating you into running out and stocking up while food prices are at an all time high. Kind of reminds me of how they did the ammo. Remember when 9mm was 50cpr?

Top Bottom