• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to need a cite for that. I do see some labeled as vegan. But quite a few use things like whey protein and such. And vegan isn't a "legal term", the FDA/USDA/etc do not regulate or certify "vegan" products. They do regulate plant based though.

From everything I have read on the topic I believe at this point only the company Gelatex in Estonia has ever produced a lattice made purely of plant based materials that worked(but not as well). It may be that some US manufactures are indeed licensing that ability from them,but try to find out who makes the lattice/scaffolding for any brand in the USA. They keep that information under "proprietary" and not even shareholders know. It is a rapidly changing technology to be sure and I may be a bit behind,but even 2 years ago it was nearly impossible to make "plant based" meat without animal based gelatin.

Can you source information on who and what the lattice/scaffolding of any "plant based" meat is made from?

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Yes, those are both talking about growing muscle cells aka meat in a lab. They are not talking about plant based "meat". They are two very different things.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It was selfish of me but the last I heard, social security was supposed to go insolvent the exact year I qualified for full retirement. Thanks Biden (and every other politician & president since FDR).
    Every increase in interest rates by the Fed will prolong that insolvency. SS fund can only invest in US treasuries(closely linked to the Fed rate). The higher interest they earn the longer SS is solvent...the lower rates of the past 20 or so years caused it to have the shortage just as much as the population drawing it increasing did. If the rate had held above 5% the last 20 years it would still have a surplus,instead we had the lowest rates ever.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Every increase in interest rates by the Fed will prolong that insolvency. SS fund can only invest in US treasuries(closely linked to the Fed rate). The higher interest they earn the longer SS is solvent...the lower rates of the past 20 or so years caused it to have the shortage just as much as the population drawing it increasing did. If the rate had held above 5% the last 20 years it would still have a surplus,instead we had the lowest rates ever.

There is no "surplus". It is a straight up Ponzi scheme.

Any party outside of state running a scam like SS would be tossed in prison.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So how many people actually know how to eat meager?

So my parents were children during the depression. My grand mothers could make food go a long way.

chicken
    meal one fried chicken
    meal two chicken and dumplings
    meal three chicken soup

We still have everything in place to can and enough food to last about a year if needed.

IMO everyone needs to stockpile NOW don’t wait.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You are correct they are extruder produced for the most part. I was mistaken.
    My confusion is partly due to being exposed to the difference in other countries(that do sell lab grown meat from beef,chicken,rabbit,and fish stem lines) . It is coming to the USA https://www.newsweek.com/lab-grown-meat-coming-america-fda-usda-announce-1221418 ).
    Yep, companies are really trying to get it approved. Probably will be this year or next is what I've heard, but that could be way off. And I'm guessing it ain't going to be cheap, they are going to charge more just because of the "green" and "humane" aspect. Look at impossible burger, that crap costs as much a lb as a decent steak.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    73% ground beef costs as much per pound as steak used to just a couple of years ago. Top sirloin is as much as ribeye was back then, and ribeye is about what beef tenderloin was back then.
    Okay, gonna show my age now, but man, I miss Atlas Market in Broadripple. Beef tenderloin @4.89/lb (sometimes less) forever or so it seemed.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    73% ground beef costs as much per pound as steak used to just a couple of years ago. Top sirloin is as much as ribeye was back then, and ribeye is about what beef tenderloin was back then.
    Yeah. Although I just picked up some 73% gb at Aldi for $2.19 a lb. Got 10 lbs of it to repackage and put in the freezer and about 25-30ish lbs of bone in butt at Kroger @ $1.29. May go back in a day or two and pick up some more after I rearange a bit and see how much space I have.

Okay, gonna show my age now, but man, I miss Atlas Market in Broadripple. Beef tenderloin @4.89/lb (sometimes less) forever or so it seemed.

I don't remember it quite that cheap, but pretty close. I used to get sirloin tip roasts at Ultra for under $2 a lb. Used to be a grocery store on Ridge Rd in Munster on the state line that had a beef sale once a year, you put an order in and they would have it packaged up. You could get some serious deals. People would be walking out with two shopping carts of nothing but beef for a couple hundred.

Top Bottom