• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    We got a rack grade about 2 weeks ago. It was about a 6 week wait, and the gun was functional, although kind of rough. The stock was varnished and took a lot of work to strip and then oil it. Both handguards have small cracks, but not bad enough to compromise overall integrity and they are functional as-is. The receiver (SA from Jan 1945) has been refinished. There is pretty heavy pitting below the woodline, particularly on the reciever lugs, but it's been finished over. The barrel is from 1955, and the gun did not come with the typical muzzle and throat readings listed on the tag...but it appears to have strong rifling, won't swallow a bullet at the muzzle, and shoots about the same as my other Garands at 100yd. The op-rod was re-painted black at some point in it's life, but I think that was done by whatever foreign military had the gun, not by the CMP, as the paint is pretty worn and chipped and looks like it's been on there for quite a while. It's not as nice as what I got 2 or 3 years ago, but still not a bad rifle for what you're paying, especially in today's market. I definitely felt like it fell within the description on the website for a rack grade rifle, so no complaints there.
    Thanks for the detailed info!

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I was lucky to get a 32XX RNG from round 1.

I agree that is you have the $$ and have the patience it is worth it. Knowing that you are the second owner after .gov is just amazing to me. Follow it up with a FOIA and it gets better.

Mine is a 1944 colt frame under a Remington-Rand slide. Fresh park. I was and still am happy with it.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Has anyone gone through CMP recently for a Garand? I’d love to get one, an M1C/D would be awesome but not sure the chances of finding one is. How long is the wait and what’s the condition of current ones that are coming through?
    There was a time when an M1C/D was all you could really find at the north store. Maybe in the 2016 timeframe?

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    I got lucky back in the 80s. I bought 2 in the boxes from a old WW2 vet for I believe was $127 each. With the verbal promise that if I ever wanted to sell them, they went back to him. Still have them both. 1- Colt complete, 1- Ithaca. I still have both. 1 for each son when I'm gone.
    That’s awesome man! Good for you!

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I sent my packet yesterday. It's my first try at a CMP gun and I'm happy for the chance.

Does anyone have a sense for the odds of getting 'the call'? Is it less likely than congress repealing the Hughes Amendment?
    Is it better than 50/50 that I'll have a cool new/old gun?

Just curious.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I sent my packet yesterday. It's my first try at a CMP gun and I'm happy for the chance.

Does anyone have a sense for the odds of getting 'the call'? Is it less likely than congress repealing the Hughes Amendment?
    Is it better than 50/50 that I'll have a cool new/old gun?

Just curious.
    1662998773464.png

This chart is dated, but shows how many might be available. I would guess if you put your name it now, you will eventually get called. When your number is up, they will call and offer you what is available, not necessarily what is on the order form.

At some point I could imagine a pause if it doesn't make fiscal sense to continue the program though.

The cost to CMP to sell vs. the ROI might not work at some point?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I saw a CMP Colt .45 sell at this last 1500 Gun show for $2900 - someone made a nice profit. That Colt was no better than the Colt I got from the CMP in round two for $1050

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm not eligible but friend put in. They got 34,880. I saw on the CMP forums people are getting called already and with the random number 33,287. Maybe they'll get their call by Thanksgiving.

Top Bottom