• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    And you didn't even provide a link to the story? I mean pretty light story without some kind of documenting IMO.
    Was he using reloads? was there a squib followed by a full power cartridge? We may never know.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Surprised he let the range keep the gun. That would have been kept for the experience and story factor if nothing else.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Interesting, in the story the owner said he had used 11 grains of some powder but could not remember the type. I'm thinking that's not over the limit even for a fast powder like 231. Must have been an obstruction.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Interesting, in the story the owner said he had used 11 grains of some powder but could not remember the type. I'm thinking that's not over the limit even for a fast powder like 231. Must have been an obstruction.
    If so, I wonder why the barrel doesn't appear damaged.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If so, I wonder why the barrel doesn't appear damaged.
    Good question, I don't see a bullet in the next chamber over so maybe it was fired and lodged just inside the barrel. I've seen light charges of slow burning powders like 2400 put a bullet just down the barrel a little ways. I'll assume all the cartridges were cast plain base bullets like the one visible.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Good question, I don't see a bullet in the next chamber over so maybe it was fired and lodged just inside the barrel. I've seen light charges of slow burning powders like 2400 put a bullet just down the barrel a little ways. I'll assume all the cartridges were cast plain base bullets like the one visible.
    I repaired a Colt, model 1917 45 ACP that had a swollen barrel about mid point, so I installed a good used barrel.

Then I proceeded to pull out the obstruction in the old barrel and found 3 or 4 bullets jammed in it.
    Lucky it was a lower pressure round.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I repaired a Colt, model 1917 45 ACP that had a swollen barrel about mid point, so I installed a good used barrel.

Then I proceeded to pull out the obstruction in the old barrel and found 3 or 4 bullets jammed in it.
    Lucky it was a lower pressure round.

Wow!

The squib 2400 load I observed was the first out of a 45 Colt Ruger BH, I was looking down range and saw nothing kick up dirt so I stopped the shooting. We looked down the barrel and saw no light. I asked about the load and as I remember it was 10 grains of 2400.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Double charge of 231 at 11gr is around 77,000 cup is a 629 rated for that?

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Double charge of 231 at 11gr is around 77,000 cup is a 629 rated for that?

True, any double charge of a fast burner would grenade the gun. I'm working on the idea that maybe he got the right amount of powder in the load.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    True, any double charge of a fast burner would grenade the gun. I'm working on the idea that maybe he got the right amount of powder in the load.
    Question if it was a double charge say 22gr would it be 77,000 cup or would it build up higher pressure? I'm just doubling what the book says but it could be a different figure than I'm thinking. Maybe much higher?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Question if it was a double charge say 22gr would it be 77,000 cup or would it build up higher pressure? I'm just doubling what the book says but it could be a different figure than I'm thinking. Maybe much higher?

I've never used 231 in big cases with cast bullets, Unique is my go to powder for this. In nearly 50 years of hand loading I've never double charged, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The one thing I have seen is the use of slow powder small amounts causing squibs.

No idea on the actual pressure number, but I agree that would probably produce results we see in the article. 231 looks a little like 296, so I guessing it would probably bulk up about the same.

Top Bottom