• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just picked up a Vortex Venom for mine. Just waiting for Galloway Precision to get the mounting plate back in stock.

I'm going out on a limb and say you will really enjoy it. Accuracy is stunning when I have a sighting system I can see well. I couldn't see any difference in accuracy between my MKIV 22/45 lite and the Taurus so I sold the Ruger.

PLsizJP.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Did some drills today with my TX22. Drawing from the holster, mag reloads, double taps, shooting on the move, etc. Discovered a few things I need to address, but overall I enjoyed using the gun for some inexpensive self defense practice. Just to clarify, this is not a carry gun, just used it today as a "trainer" if you will.

- Fits my Raven Concealment Morrigan G17 holster perfectly, even with the thread adapter and a thread protector installed. I call that a win, because I don't have to buy another holster.

- I had intermittent issues with covering the slide lock/latch/release lever resulting in the slide not locking on an empty mag. That doesn't normally happen to me, so I'll have to work on adjusting my thumb placement.

- The mags don't always drop freely. At first I thought it was because they were too light, but after I got home and investigated a little further, I discovered I'm not pushing the mag release completely. Due to the design of the grip in that area, there's a raised area that blends forward with the trigger guard. I assume it's to help prevent accidental mag release activation. I might look into options for an extended mag release. I also might still look into some mag bases or extensions that could add a little weight.

- The orange lakeline loader that I bought from Taurus works really well. I was very happy with that purchase. Works way better than no loader at all or even the factory grey one that came with the gun.

- I had color filled the front sight with bright orange nail polish and blacked out the rears. That setup is great when the sun was behind me, but not so much when from the side. The front sight dot is recessed too much, so it created a shadow which covered almost half the dot. I'll either fill the dot with more nail polish or look into an aftermarket front sight that might pop a little more to my eyes.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...The orange lakeline loader that I bought from Taurus works really well. I was very happy with that purchase. Works way better than no loader at all or even the factory grey one that came with the gun.

...I'll either fill the dot with more nail polish or look into an aftermarket front sight that might pop a little more to my eyes.

I have a different but similar loader and they do work well.

Put this F.O. sight on mine today and replaced the rod with the red one that comes with it...https://www.shoptaurus.com/tx22-accessories/tandemkross-fiber-optic-front-sight-tk31n0382blk1

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Well, I didn't want to mention this before, because I was hoping it would get better, but I have joined the club of bad TX22 barrels. I knew this could be an issue before I bought the gun, but I guess I felt like rolling the dice anyways. The leading has gotten worse at each cleaning interval (224, 368, 432 and now 682 rounds total). After the barrel gets leaded, I start getting random shots way off target and ones on target that are tumbling. Tonights cleaning produced a big chunk of leading, worst I've seen from this gun so far. Once I zoomed in with my camera, I realized how horrible the machining really is. Looks like I'll be calling Taurus on Monday. :(

EVWot59.jpg

lrV5W4x.jpg

oqE1Nzu.jpg

Pictures below are after cleaning the barrel tonight. You can see the **** poor machining inside the barrel. Taurus should be embarrassed to put out a product with a barrel that has rifling this bad.

62rQ7kE.jpg

x3ypoha.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sorry to hear this. Seems like l might have mentioned this before.:)

They were out of stock when I made my call. Got it a month later which I thought wasn't too bad.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Sorry to hear this. Seems like l might have mentioned this before.:)

They were out of stock when I made my call. Got it a month later which I thought wasn't too bad.
    I know, I know. I didn't want to admit that mine had a problem. I was hoping it would quit doing it eventually. :dunno:
    We'll see what Taurus has to say on Monday. I have other 22's I can play around with while I wait for a replacement barrel.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Well, I didn't want to mention this before, because I was hoping it would get better, but I have joined the club of bad TX22 barrels. I knew this could be an issue before I bought the gun, but I guess I felt like rolling the dice anyways. The leading has gotten worse at each cleaning interval (224, 368, 432 and now 682 rounds total). After the barrel gets leaded, I start getting random shots way off target and ones on target that are tumbling. Tonights cleaning produced a big chunk of leading, worst I've seen from this gun so far. Once I zoomed in with my camera, I realized how horrible the machining really is. Looks like I'll be calling Taurus on Monday. :(

. . . . .

Unfortunately, it's not a very exclusive club.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a couple TX22s. One seemed to lead up more than the other so I requested 2 barrels and received them about a month later, no problems since. Fast and easy fix and I appreciate Taurus being so eager to correct it.. Obviously the bad barrels are a quality control issue, not a design issue. PS, unlike most of the Taurus line according to what I've read the TX22 was designed and is built in the US.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I had a routine with my old S&W revolver. I reloaded a lot of lead rounds, but at the end of the shooting session I always ran 6 hot jacketed bullets through. Solved my leading problem ever since. I do the same for my Taurus 22 and the barrel is lead free. I run a mag of CCI OR FEDERAL JHP, at the end of my range sessions. I can Still shoots golf balls at 15 yards all day long. Hope this helps some with decent barrels, but that one above looks hideous.

I also noticed the recessed front sight and just built it up with white paint and now it catches the light much better.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I spoke to a nice lady at Taurus. She advised they had some barrels in stock and unless there were a bunch of people ahead of me that they would ship one out to me in 7-10 business days.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I spoke to a nice lady at Taurus. She advised they had some barrels in stock and unless there were a bunch of people ahead of me that they would ship one out to me in 7-10 business days.

Hmm. I'll have to check out my barrel and see what I can see.

Are you guys that are having leading issues shooting copper plated/washed, etc or just lead ammo? I've been only shooting copper washed/plated I believe so far in mine.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Hmm. I'll have to check out my barrel and see what I can see.

Are you guys that are having leading issues shooting copper plated/washed, etc or just lead ammo? I've been only shooting copper washed/plated I believe so far in mine.
    Mine have pretty much been exclusively lead ammo. I think I ran 5-10 rounds of some AE 45gr subs that were copper plated the other day.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Are you guys that are having leading issues shooting copper plated/washed, etc or just lead ammo? I've been only shooting copper washed/plated I believe so far in mine.

I leaded my first barrel up with remington thunder bolts. I figured if anything would cause a problem those would be it and because the rifling looked so rough, I wanted to know quickly if I needed another barrel.

With the replacement barrel I started with Federal copper washed/plated bulk bullets thinking they would be least likely to cause leading and when they didn't, I tried CCI SV waxed bullets and they did not cause leading either.

Out of curiosity, someday I will put the original barrel back in and try copper washed and CCI SV to see if it leads up with them or not.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I leaded my first barrel up with remington thunder bolts. I figured if anything would cause a problem those would be it and because the rifling looked so rough, I wanted to know quickly if I needed another barrel.

With the replacement barrel I started with Federal copper washed/plated bulk bullets thinking they would be least likely to cause leading and when they didn't, I tried CCI SV waxed bullets and they did not cause leading either.

Out of curiosity, someday I will put the original barrel back in and try copper washed and CCI SV to see if it leads up with them or not.
    Mine have been mainly CCI & Aguila SV.

I've had Thunderbolts do some horrible leading before in other guns. That ammo really is terrible.

Top Bottom