• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    Can any INGO members speak to the reliability of current production Taurus revolvers? I've read a lot about the quality/reliability of their semi-automatics, but not necessarily about their revolvers.

I care little about the aesthetics, I just want to know if any of you have gone to fire your Taurus revolver and had it not go bang for any reason.

Disclaimer: I'm aware that this topic has most likely been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've got a Taurus 5 shot 38 snubbie (e.g. J frame) that developed an issue where the hammer wouldn't hold so I could shoot in SA. Sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it, but came back w/ such a light SA trigger that I don't feel safe carrying it. I'll go back to a Smith or a Ruger for carry and just use this one as a range gun where I'm not manipulating it under stress.

Not totally against Taurus.. My son carries a semi auto and I've had a pump action 22 rifle for years and neither of those have had an issue.

--Rick

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I've got a Taurus 5 shot 38 snubbie (e.g. J frame) that developed an issue where the hammer wouldn't hold so I could shoot in SA. Sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it, but came back w/ such a light SA trigger that I don't feel safe carrying it. I'll go back to a Smith or a Ruger for carry and just use this one as a range gun where I'm not manipulating it under stress.

Not totally against Taurus.. My son carries a semi auto and I've had a pump action 22 rifle for years and neither of those have had an issue.

--Rick
    Interesting. When you mention the light SA trigger pull feeling unsafe during carry, are you saying you carry your revolvers ready to shoot in SA?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Percentage wise, you're more likely to get a dud out of the box.

Durability wise, they will wear out faster than Ruger or S&W. The vast majority of people will not shoot any given gun enough to wear anything out. If your yearly round count is in the hundreds, not a problem for you, especially if you're not running hotter loads.

They will not be as 'clean', more likely to have machine marks, burrs, general imperfections for a grittier trigger. None of the manufacturers are immune. Ruger puts out junk as well, just not at the same percentage rate.

Personally, I'll pay the extra for a Ruger but there's no one size fits all answer.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Percentage wise, you're more likely to get a dud out of the box.

Durability wise, they will wear out faster than Ruger or S&W. The vast majority of people will not shoot any given gun enough to wear anything out. If your yearly round count is in the hundreds, not a problem for you, especially if you're not running hotter loads.

They will not be as 'clean', more likely to have machine marks, burrs, general imperfections for a grittier trigger. None of the manufacturers are immune. Ruger puts out junk as well, just not at the same percentage rate.

Personally, I'll pay the extra for a Ruger but there's no one size fits all answer.
    Sounds like the old adage is true, you do get what you pay for...

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    Well I would most likely be in the 100s instead of 1000s of rounds per year based on my current shooting habits, so it might be worth a shot.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Not current production but I'll add my experience with my older Taurus 96 22lr which looks like a Smith 17. Bought used but looked almost new. First range session firing SA goes something like this - bang, bang, click , click , bang, click! So I have this feeling of deep regret , "Shouldn't have took the chance on a Taurus."

I ended up taking off the grip and to my great surprise I see there is an adjustment nut on the mainspring to increase/decrease tension and after a few times adjusting no more light strikes! The gun has shot remarkably well too over the years.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Owning two, 38 n 22. They are not bad guns, as stated you’ll find a bad one on the first day most likely. Now in a side by side comparison at the same time they will loose out on the trigger over a Smith. But if you just shot them as a knock around gun, practice gun, trap line gun, fun with the kids n neighbors gun. You will find them to be reliable and well made 99.9% of the time. JMO, of course.

l’ll add, if I had to carry one for self defense. If I had shot it enough to know it well, I wouldn’t feel like I was naked. Given proper caliber and ammunition. Again JMO. Good Luck.

A final note. Both of mine are ~10 yrs. old. Just reread your post before hitting send, you said current prod. If that matters.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not current production but I'll add my experience with my older Taurus 96 22lr which looks like a Smith 17. Bought used but looked almost new. First range session firing SA goes something like this - bang, bang, click , click , bang, click! So I have this feeling of deep regret , "Shouldn't have took the chance on a Taurus."

I ended up taking off the grip and to my great surprise I see there is an adjustment nut on the mainspring to increase/decrease tension and after a few times adjusting no more light strikes! The gun has shot remarkably well too over the years.
    That's actually a pretty impressive feature. My Manurhin MR73 (.357) has an adjustable trigger. I was experimenting with it when I first got it and eventually lightened it to the point where I was also getting light strikes. Just had to readjust.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I’ve owned many Taurus revolvers. I personally love them. Never had a issue

+1. IMO Taurus makes quality revolvers at a great price. Since they used to be owned by the same parent company, it's a nice way to get "Smith and Wesson Revolver quality" at a bargain price point. Maybe not quite the "fit and finish", but I suspect they used all the S&W technology / machining and kept doing so when the two companies parted ways.

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not hung up on current production per se, that was more of a "which model could I buy right now" qualifier. Are adjustable mainsprings a standard feature on revolvers? I've never heard of that before.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Interesting. When you mention the light SA trigger pull feeling unsafe during carry, are you saying you carry your revolvers ready to shoot in SA?
    I should have explained better and to relieve anyone's worry, No I don't carry it cocked/unlocked! :facepalm:

Because the firing mechanism failed once, and because it was returned feeling different with so light of a SA release, I just don't really trust any part of the fire control system. What if the sear fails and lets the hammer drop 1//2 way on a DA pull. If it had came back with the original heavy trigger on both SA/DA, I'd think they had replaced parts and made it like new. However, with the very light SA pull, (and given the original problem was basically a 0lb SA pull) I suspect they reworked the original hammer. Overall, I'm just leary of the firearm. I've got options and will just carry something else :bacondance::thumbsup:
    --Rick

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I should have explained better and to relieve anyone's worry, No I don't carry it cocked/unlocked! :facepalm:

Because the firing mechanism failed once, and because it was returned feeling different with so light of a SA release, I just don't really trust any part of the fire control system. What if the sear fails and lets the hammer drop 1//2 way on a DA pull. If it had came back with the original heavy trigger on both SA/DA, I'd think they had replaced parts and made it like new. However, with the very light SA pull, (and given the original problem was basically a 0lb SA pull) I suspect they reworked the original hammer. Overall, I'm just leary of the firearm. I've got options and will just carry something else :bacondance::thumbsup:
    --Rick
    That makes way more sense. I'm all for being prepared, but carrying a cocked revolver had me scratching my head

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have never had a student that could complete a training session where they used a Taurus. Any Taurus. That’s why I bring extra pieces when I know they are bringing a Taurus.

If there is a good one out there. I haven’t found it.

OP asked. Just my experience.

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    I have never had a student that could complete a training session where they used a Taurus. Any Taurus. That’s why I bring extra pieces when I know they are bringing a Taurus.

If there is a good one out there. I haven’t found it.

OP asked. Just my experience.
    Good to know, thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My neighbor had me look at hers when we ran into each other outside the range. It wouldnt properly advance, and the teeth on the cylinder looks like something had chewed on it.
    She sent it back for service. Shouldnt have needed to because she was the type that would only take it to the range once a year or so.

amjindiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2022
    Northeast
    My neighbor had me look at hers when we ran into each other outside the range. It wouldnt properly advance, and the teeth on the cylinder looks like something had chewed on it.
    She sent it back for service. Shouldnt have needed to because she was the type that would only take it to the range once a year or so.
    Interesting, I wonder if she was the only owner?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Can any INGO members speak to the reliability of current production Taurus revolvers? I've read a lot about the quality/reliability of their semi-automatics, but not necessarily about their revolvers.

I care little about the aesthetics, I just want to know if any of you have gone to fire your Taurus revolver and had it not go bang for any reason.

Disclaimer: I'm aware that this topic has most likely been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.
    I can't speak for the modern makes. My 30yo model 44 has been great. Thousands of full power 44mag rds through it.

I've read the new 6 shot 38 specials are having issues. Search youtube for more information on it.

Now days I'd pay a few hundred more for a Ruger, Colt, or Smith or another quality revolver manufacturer.

Save a few extra weeks or a month to get the better quality. Plus I know for a fact that Ruger has great customer service if you have a problem.

If you are looking for a inexpensive revolver check out the Ruger LCR's they have multiple caliber choices.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom