• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    [FONT=&amp]Picked up a stainless Taurus 856 in .38 special (6-shot sized model 85) in DAO configuration on a whim yesterday![/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I've had a few Taurus products in the past and was wholly unsatisfied with them based on their poor performance, their lack of overall quality, their jamming issues (even with a model 850 DAO revolver), etc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]But, I picked up one at a LGS yesterday and the fit / feel / finish was of 'acceptable' quality as compared to my past experience. I know the guy at the LGS and he said he's had good luck with Taurus products in the recent past so I decided to give it a try...hey, it was only $300 bucks...so why not???[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Took it to the range as was rather surprised at it's performance...which was relatively smooth with the OEM trigger.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Accuracy was to POA on the fixed-sights and was acceptable in shooting a sub-6" group at 21' with 30 shots using Hornady's 158 grain JHP XTP round while shooting slowly for accuracy.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The front sight is pinned, so I can install an XS Sights standard dot front tritium sight and that'll make it better for low / no light shooting.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]I have a couple of J-frame holsters and one of them fit the 856 like it was meant for it...Yeehaw![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Anyone else have an 856?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]How well do you like it?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Which load to you prefer for it?[/FONT]

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I have the Taurus 856 Ultra Lite. Bought it last fall for $200 new (after $50 rebate) prior to all this 2020 craziness. I personally don't like it. It doesn't fit my hands right. I have too big of hands for the grips. I was going to try and find larger grips on it to fit my hands better but my wife liked it and she shoots very well with it and she wanted it as a bedside gun so I let her keep it. As far as the quality goes I have no complaints. Seems well made to me and we have had no problems. Just doesn't fit my hands correctly.
    In regards to your question on best loads, it has been the most accurate for us on our reload of 125 grain Flat Point plated bullet using Hodgdon HP-38 powder at 4.0 grains. We made several reloads to test it on and that was the one we had best success with.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    I just bought a used Taurus 94-22 cal. on a whim , knowing that they had light primer strikes . Took it apart and made a longer firing pin ,making sure that it did not extend out of the recoil shield when at rest and it did not hit the cylinder when fired . Now 50 rounds after mods ,no light strikes and it will be a knock around piece
    Boy it is out of place with the S&W.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have the Taurus 856 Ultra Lite. Bought it last fall for $200 new (after $50 rebate) prior to all this 2020 craziness. I personally don't like it. It doesn't fit my hands right. I have too big of hands for the grips. I was going to try and find larger grips on it to fit my hands better but my wife liked it and she shoots very well with it and she wanted it as a bedside gun so I let her keep it. As far as the quality goes I have no complaints. Seems well made to me and we have had no problems. Just doesn't fit my hands correctly.
    In regards to your question on best loads, it has been the most accurate for us on our reload of 125 grain Flat Point plated bullet using Hodgdon HP-38 powder at 4.0 grains. We made several reloads to test it on and that was the one we had best success with.

I have somewhat smaller-sized hands, so the smaller grips tend to fit in my grip better than the larger ones...whereas my wife has longer fingered hands than I do and she prefers Beretta-sized grips! Everyone's different!
    I tried a few different loads, the lighter grain bullets tended to run a bit on the wild side whereas the heavier grain bullets (130 and up) tended to settle down and hold their own with the 158 grain Hornady's doing it best! I'm convinced, from experience over the years, that each gun shoots a different load better than another, for some odd reason, so I tend to shoot many different loads through a gun until I find the load that works best for that particular firearm, and then buy that load and keep it just for that firearm!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Does the 856 come with a 3" barrel too or just the 2"?

I've seen photos online of what, obviously, is a 3" version, but their currently line-up doesn't show a 3" version of the Taurus 856.
    The only real reason I got one was because it came in a DAO version, which I actually prefer for a home / personal defense revolver.
    I'll probably do a MCARBO trigger job on it (smoothing it out and it includes lighter springs) and then do some training with it...
    I can shoot DAO (with a good trigger) as good or better than many whom I've shot against, who use a semi-auto...accuracy-wise.
    The only other upgrade will probably be an XS Sights tritium front sight after I get 300+ rounds through it and get ready to CC it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've seen photos online of what, obviously, is a 3" version, but their currently line-up doesn't show a 3" version of the Taurus 856.
    The only real reason I got one was because it came in a DAO version, which I actually prefer for a home / personal defense revolver.
    I'll probably do a MCARBO trigger job on it (smoothing it out and it includes lighter springs) and then do some training with it...
    I can shoot DAO (with a good trigger) as good or better than many whom I've shot against, who use a semi-auto...accuracy-wise.
    The only other upgrade will probably be an XS Sights tritium front sight after I get 300+ rounds through it and get ready to CC it.

Thats the reason I ask I've seen reviews for them but I've never seen them for sale anywhere.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I picked one of these up for my daughter a few months ago.... she loves it! I was lucky enough to have an generous ingo member get me some 148gr wadcutters which shoot great in the gun and provide low recoil in the ultralight. They work for her as a self defense load too.... I also found a model 942 ultralight in 22lr back in early summer before they became unobtanium and its a wonderful shooting 8 shot snubby that my wife now carries. I have no complaints as these Taurus revolvers seem to be as good as any other revolvers I have or have had.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    So what is causing this problem?
    Looks like excessive cylinder endshake that is allowing enough slop for the hand to not consistently engage the ratchet under certain conditions. Basically, shoddy quality control.

Like the OP, I had a conversation with one of the guys at the LGS just last week and he was saying that they are getting fewer returns on Taurus guns lately than domestically produced stuff. I want to like Taurus, really I do. They make nice looking revolvers, they offer them in a wide variety of calibers that interest me, and a few configurations that I want that I can't get anywhere else. And it's impossible to deny that the pricing is appealing.

But stuff like this scares me off...it's the same types of issues that I've had with the Taurus revolvers I've owned in the past. I had a couple that would randomly skip or not advance the cylinder, and I've dealt with others where the hand would bind on the out of spec ratchet (these last ones were older guns and I suspect poor metallurgy in the ratchet that wore over time), and the ratchets needed some dressing with a needle file to get them back into working order, at least until they go out of spec again.

Seeing that video makes me think that Taurus may not have all of their stuff together yet after all.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had 2 Taurus .38 Snubbies. A Model 85CH and a Model 85 Stainless. Great little guns. A buddy has 4 Taurus revolvers and all have been good. I know other people have had issues, but in my experience they have been good. I would definitely recommend a S&W 442/642 or Ruger LCR first, but for the money the Taurus snubbies are good buys.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Looks like excessive cylinder endshake that is allowing enough slop for the hand to not consistently engage the ratchet under certain conditions. Basically, shoddy quality control.

Like the OP, I had a conversation with one of the guys at the LGS just last week and he was saying that they are getting fewer returns on Taurus guns lately than domestically produced stuff. I want to like Taurus, really I do. They make nice looking revolvers, they offer them in a wide variety of calibers that interest me, and a few configurations that I want that I can't get anywhere else. And it's impossible to deny that the pricing is appealing.

But stuff like this scares me off...it's the same types of issues that I've had with the Taurus revolvers I've owned in the past. I had a couple that would randomly skip or not advance the cylinder, and I've dealt with others where the hand would bind on the out of spec ratchet (these last ones were older guns and I suspect poor metallurgy in the ratchet that wore over time), and the ratchets needed some dressing with a needle file to get them back into working order, at least until they go out of spec again.

Seeing that video makes me think that Taurus may not have all of their stuff together yet after all.
    My model 44 Taurus has over 2k 44 magnum rounds through it. Majority is my full bore 44 magnum reloads. It's not had one problem in about 30 years. The front sight is hard to see now but I'm trying to find a replacement and that has proven impossible. So I put a Holosun 507c x2 on it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    My model 44 Taurus has over 2k 44 magnum rounds through it. Majority is my full bore 44 magnum reloads. It's not had one problem in about 30 years. The front sight is hard to see now but I'm trying to find a replacement and that has proven impossible. So I put a Holosun 507c x2 on it.
    Im sure here are good ones out there, and I'm glad you found one. My 6" model 44 was a sweet looking gun, and great fun to shoot (apart from the backblast you'd get from the porting, but hey, that's part of the fun of shooting a .44, right?) but it would do something very similar to what was demonstrated in the video, but not as repeatably. Occasionally you'd pull the trigger and just get a click, and when you opened the cylinder to inspect it, you'd discover it had not advanced. I was a lot younger and less experienced then, and lacked any diagnostic skills, so rather than trying to fix it I let it go to a buddy who knew about the issue but just had to have it. He didn't keep it very long either, and eventually ended up buying a Smith 629 hunter model to replace it. I eventually bought a S&W model 69 2 3/4" to scratch the .44 Magnum itch, and it's been 100% reliable, and more practical for my particular purposes than the Taurus was. I wish that gun had been good...it was a sweet handgun. But I'm also glad that I got rid of it before it disassembled itself in my hand.

I had a 605 snubby in .357 mag that was also a really nice looking gun. Blued steel, nice and compact and J-Frame like, and built for .357 rather than .38, I really liked it. But it was out of time. Occasionally you'd get a click, and when you opened the cylinder there'd be a primer mark on the rim of the case, not the primer. It would also shave lead sometimes, and that same buddy who bought the .44 actually took a piece to the side of the head one time when we were shooting together. I sent that one back to Taurus, which cost me $70 shipping, they shipped it back without informing me that it was coming so I wasn't home to sign for it and ended up having to drive 2 hours round trip to go pick it up from the FedEx hub. They claimed they adjusted the timing and did something to the forcing cone. The gun still had the same issue. I sold that one too, at a big loss. I now have a healthy J-Frame collection, and have thousands of rounds through those without an issue.

In the past few years I've helped a couple of friends and family members out by tweaking the timing on their Taurus revolvers. Both of them had the same issue...the hand and ratchet were binding on one chamber only. A little careful work with a safe-sided needle file got it cleaned up and put it back in time, but the fact that there was a pattern there makes me suspicious that at least for a while, there were some metallurgical issues with the parts Taurus was using that allowed them to wear prematurely. I know it's just a sample size of two, and there are probably a bunch of good ones out there, but I keep finding the bad ones. I'd actually really like a snubby model 450 in .45 Colt, but with my past experience I'm afraid to roll the dice again in hopes of getting a good one.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Im sure here are good ones out there, and I'm glad you found one. My 6" model 44 was a sweet looking gun, and great fun to shoot (apart from the backblast you'd get from the porting, but hey, that's part of the fun of shooting a .44, right?) but it would do something very similar to what was demonstrated in the video, but not as repeatably. Occasionally you'd pull the trigger and just get a click, and when you opened the cylinder to inspect it, you'd discover it had not advanced. I was a lot younger and less experienced then, and lacked any diagnostic skills, so rather than trying to fix it I let it go to a buddy who knew about the issue but just had to have it. He didn't keep it very long either, and eventually ended up buying a Smith 629 hunter model to replace it. I eventually bought a S&W model 69 2 3/4" to scratch the .44 Magnum itch, and it's been 100% reliable, and more practical for my particular purposes than the Taurus was. I wish that gun had been good...it was a sweet handgun. But I'm also glad that I got rid of it before it disassembled itself in my hand.

I had a 605 snubby in .357 mag that was also a really nice looking gun. Blued steel, nice and compact and J-Frame like, and built for .357 rather than .38, I really liked it. But it was out of time. Occasionally you'd get a click, and when you opened the cylinder there'd be a primer mark on the rim of the case, not the primer. It would also shave lead sometimes, and that same buddy who bought the .44 actually took a piece to the side of the head one time when we were shooting together. I sent that one back to Taurus, which cost me $70 shipping, they shipped it back without informing me that it was coming so I wasn't home to sign for it and ended up having to drive 2 hours round trip to go pick it up from the FedEx hub. They claimed they adjusted the timing and did something to the forcing cone. The gun still had the same issue. I sold that one too, at a big loss. I now have a healthy J-Frame collection, and have thousands of rounds through those without an issue.

In the past few years I've helped a couple of friends and family members out by tweaking the timing on their Taurus revolvers. Both of them had the same issue...the hand and ratchet were binding on one chamber only. A little careful work with a safe-sided needle file got it cleaned up and put it back in time, but the fact that there was a pattern there makes me suspicious that at least for a while, there were some metallurgical issues with the parts Taurus was using that allowed them to wear prematurely. I know it's just a sample size of two, and there are probably a bunch of good ones out there, but I keep finding the bad ones. I'd actually really like a snubby model 450 in .45 Colt, but with my past experience I'm afraid to roll the dice again in hopes of getting a good one.
    Yep my next revolver will be Ruger, S&W, or Colt. When the scratch gets unbearable I'll itch it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bought a Taurus 856 .38 special, 6 rd back in May 2022.
    It shot well for me & I intend to keep it for my 6 rd revolver.
    &
    have an LCR .38 sp 5 rd also, when I want a slightly smaller & lighter revolver for CC.

Ruger LCR vs Taurus 856 2”
    Dimensions: Length - Height - Width - Weight
    Ruger LCR
    - 6.5 in - 4.5 in - 1.28 in - 15 oz
    Taurus 856 - 6.55 in - 4.8 in - 1.41 in - 22 oz

Barrel - Trigger
    Ruger LCR - 1.87 in - DAO
    Taurus 856 - 2 in - DA/SA

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Recently traded for a Taurus model 65, fixed sights. Rounds all came out fine, have heard stories about cylinders not aligning, mine is fine..

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I had a DAO Taurus 850, 5 shot, sold it, did not have any problems with it, but I suck at shooting double action
    I had one of those in Titanium...dumb thing would 'jam' after every first shot and had to open up the side plate and disassemble it to get the 4 remaining rounds out of it. Did it to me 3x, I sent it back to Taurus who 'looked it over' and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and sent it back to me. Upon receiving it back, I took it to the range and it replicated the exact same problem as the first 3x I had shot it! Traded it back into the FFL, who resold it and I found out that the next guy had the exact same issue...

Top Bottom