• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I have heard that I have to either have my concealed carry permit or a target permit to take a handgun to a public range.

Is this nonsense true?

Is there anyway around this?

If not what does it take to get a target permit besides the money and where can I get one?

Thanks

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I do believe you heard wrong. You need a FOID card to shoot in Indiana public ranges ran by the DNR if you are an Illinois resident. Past that I think someone was blowing smoke up your butt.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have heard that I have to either have my concealed carry permit or a target permit to take a handgun to a public range.

Is this nonsense true?

If not what does it take to get a target permit besides the money and where can I get one?

Thanks

If you are from Fishers I believe you to be an Indiana resident. If this is true, you do have to have a LICENSE (not a permit) to take a handgun to the range.
    Indiana has two types of licenses.
    Personal protection (Carry in any form, not limited to concealed)
    Hunting & Target Shooting. To and from activity ONLY.
    Depending on where you live you need to go to your local police or sheriff office and get the paperwork. Most help you with everything you need.
    I would get the Lifetime personal protection because it covers everything and you won't be in a situation where you wished you had it.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you are from Fishers I believe you to be an Indiana resident. If this is true, you do have to have a LICENSE (not a permit) to take a handgun to the range.
    Indiana has two types of licenses.
    Personal protection (Carry in any form, not limited to concealed)
    Hunting & Target Shooting. To and from activity ONLY.
    Depending on where you live you need to go to your local police or sheriff office and get the paperwork. Most help you with everything you need.
    I would get the Lifetime personal protection because it covers everything and you won't be in a situation where you wished you had it.

The way Fishers keep growing they'll be their own state soon.
    Like BloodEclipse said spend a little more and get your lifetime license and not have to deal with it again.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

BloodEclipse already answered the rest of the question, but my recommendation is to skip the target permit and just get a lifetime personal protection (unlimited) license. Once you get a license, you can't "upgrade" until it expires, so it's worth paying a couple extra bucks now.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Oh, I've already applied for my lifetime. It should be getting to the State today. I'm patiently waiting......:n00b:

But I am ITCHING to hit the range with my new baby. Is the target permit any faster......like INSTANT?

Thanks

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, I've already applied for my lifetime. It should be getting to the State today. I'm patiently waiting......:n00b:

But I am ITCHING to hit the range with my new baby. Is the target permit any faster......like INSTANT?

Thanks

Nope. Sorry. Your best bet is to go with someone who has a license. Although, technically to be legal, he'd have to come to your house to pick you up, unless the range you were driving to had a gunsmith onsite.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    That is crazy....:nuts:....just crazy.

I had no idea the laws were so restrictive here. :xmad:

Oh well, I guess I just wait to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks for the info all!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Correct. The two types of licenses are "Qualified" (for target range and hunting) and "Unlimited" (for personal protection). The requirements are the same. There's no reason to get a "qualified license", just get the "umnlimited"; the only difference is cost, but averaged out over a lifetime the difference is nil.

Is this nonsense true?

Yes.

No.

If you live inside city limits go to your local police station... er... call first, they usually are very strict about how they get the money. If you are outside city limits go to the County Sheriff. In Marion County, it's downtown at the Taj Mahal, and they have their own hoops too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Thanks

You can't hold more than one. You have to choose.

Application procedure and qualifications are identical for either, so the target license (we do not have permits in Indiana) is a waste of four years and money.

If you know someone who has a valid license to carry handgun, you can have them transport the handgun to and from the range for you.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I had no idea the laws were so restrictive here. :xmad:

Oh well, I guess I just wait to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks for the info all!

The laws here are not really restrictive by comparison to other states. I'm not saying they're good, only that they could be much worse. They can also be much better, and THAT's what lobbying is for. I know that there are bills being introduced this legislative session to help us. One will provide for carrying a firearm to the work place provided that it's locked in a vehicle. The language in it may include carrying to schools as well.

If we can do this it would still require the firearm to be locked in a vehicle. However, people who work at or who must visit a school for any reason will no longer be victims of a law that makes them a criminal for the mere fact that they have a firearm in their vehicle.

The other bill I know about now will allow licensed gun owners to carry on Indiana colleges and universities. I'm told there are other bills pending, but these are the only two for which I currently have synopses.

Blessings,
    B

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    All of this is very good but you still can't take YOUR firearm to the range to shoot it without some stupid permit to do so.

This rates as one of the most ridicules things I've ever heard.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    All of this is very good but you still can't take YOUR firearm to the range to shoot it without some stupid permit to do so.

This rates as one of the most ridicules things I've ever heard.

You can take a firearm, just not a handgun.
    Long guns do not have the same restriction. If you don't have one, go buy a rifle while you wait for your license.

Oh and it could be worse you could be restricted to keeping it at home disassembled or unloaded and locked up.
    Indiana is one of the best states in which to be a gunowner.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I have lived in 4 states in the past 10 years. Of those 4, IN ranks #4 for gun rights.

Of states I've visited it probably ranks in the bottom 50%.

I guess I wait...

Thanks for the info and I'm very glad I asked before going to the range. Thank you everyone.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I have lived in 4 states in the past 10 years. Of those 4, IN ranks #4 for gun rights.

Of states I've visited it probably ranks in the bottom 50%.

I guess I wait...

Thanks for the info and I'm very glad I asked before going to the range. Thank you everyone.
    Just out of curiosity, which states have you lived in?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I had no idea the laws were so restrictive here.

Mill, no, not crazy at all and not restrictive. It makes a very bright line rule. If you have a LTCH, you can carry any pistol you legally have. If you do not have a LTCH, then you cannot carry/transport unless you fit into one of the several exceptions or the LTCH requirement does not apply to you.

This is isn't any other state, not Tejas, not Joe-juh, not Tinuhsee. This is Indiana, get the license. Kirk's First Law is in full effect.

Every time I am asked to speak about gun laws, most, if not all, of the questions are directed toward how to get around paying $25 every four years (or now the lifetime license). I am continually amazed at the legal yoga people will go through not to pay $25 when every time they go to the range they burn $100 in ammo.

"If I have my brother's dog carry the gun and then . . ." NO, GET THE LICENSE.

"Well, I'm only going to the range and my cousin Jimmy Joe Cledus Lee is the Town Marshall of Gnawbone and he says . . ." NO, GET THE LICENSE.

"Well, my Uncle Jasper's been a-carryin' for 76 years and he's never had a . . ." NO, GET THE LICENSE.

"Well, in Tinuhsee, we all carry to the range and don't need no license, or shoes." NO, GET THE LICENSE. This isn't down Souf/back home/where I lived 3 states ago.

GET THE LICENSE. It is cheap insurance against being arrested for a misdemeanor.

GET THE LICENSE. It is the law. "But I don't like your Yankeefied law." Then help us change it. Rex Early back in '96 pledged to abolish the LTCH. We need your help to help elect those who would defend our rights. We've made progress, we need to make more progress.

GET THE LICENSE. Not only should you have a license, everyone 18 and over should have one as it will prevent any unneeded LE attention from a pistol left in the glove box.

Welcome to Indiana, mill. Now . . . go get your license.:D

Top Bottom