• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just joined and maybe I am looking in the wrong place - I am wondering how this is all affected by the new Open Carry since July 1st, 2022 as the last post in this sticky was 2008.
    Welcome to INGO.

First off, it is called Constitutional Carry or Permit less carry. Indiana hasn't cared wether you carry open or concealed. The Indiana Licence To Carry A Handgun or LTCH has never specified one or the other.

Previously if you didn't have a LTCH, transporting the firearm was simply unloaded, in a case of some sort, away from reach in the vehicle. Preferably the trunk or hatch.

For what it's worth, the LTCH, lifetime or 5 year, is now free. All you need to pay for is about $13 for fingerprints.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Just joined and maybe I am looking in the wrong place - I am wondering how this is all affected by the new Open Carry since July 1st, 2022 as the last post in this sticky was 2008.
    New “ Open Carry” ? You mean Constitutional Carry…open or concealed carry without a permit ( provided a proper person ) but no reciprocity. If you wish reciprocity then a LTCH is still needed.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    In the 2008 timeframe, you were required to have a permit to transport a firearm to the range. Caused me to get my lifetime carry permit. Shortly thereafter, that requirement was dropped, but still needed a permit to carry (open or concealed). Since July 1, no permits are required.
    Rick

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    thank you everyone for clarifying
    To further clarify, this wasn’t a “sticky”, it was just a thread.
    Also, welcome, and good on you for reengaging in the thread.

Interesting read, I had no idea Indiana was a freaking commie state! back in the day, not that long ago at all in the big picture.
    Also interesting reading who was kinda all for it. Not surprising, just reinforcing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To further clarify, this wasn’t a “sticky”, it was just a thread.
    Also, welcome, and good on you for reengaging in the thread.

Interesting read, I had no idea Indiana was a freaking commie state! back in the day, not that long ago at all in the big picture.
    Also interesting reading who was kinda all for it. Not surprising, just reinforcing.

Big changes (for the good) in Indiana since DeBard.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Big changes (for the good) in Indiana since DeBard.
    Good to hear you say that, upthread it seemed you were defending the permit process as a good thing, a “bright line”, IIRC. Of course, everyone is allowed to change their mind. And maybe you were just advocating for following the law as written, not sure.

As a recent (2010 ish?) handgun owner I’m still shocked that I didn’t know how restrictive Indiana’s laws were. I feel like as I read through all that there is a lot of compromise and apology for the way Indiana’s laws were compared to others.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    In the 2008 timeframe, you were required to have a permit to transport a firearm to the range. Caused me to get my lifetime carry permit. Shortly thereafter, that requirement was dropped, but still needed a permit to carry (open or concealed). Since July 1, no permits are required.
    Rick
    Pretty sure you didnt. You could always transport a firearm to and from different locations provided it was unloaded and inaccessible to you.

If a permit was required, then you couldnt buy a handgun without a LTCH because it would be illegal to take it home.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Pretty sure you didnt. You could always transport a firearm to and from different locations provided it was unloaded and inaccessible to you.

If a permit was required, then you couldnt buy a handgun without a LTCH because it would be illegal to take it home.
    Did you read the thread? I took it from all the responses that any transport was restricted.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Did you read the thread? I took it from all the responses that any transport was restricted.
    No, but requiring ANY permit to transport a firearm means you couldnt legally transport a handgun after buying it if you didnt have one first. So it doesnt make sense.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Good to hear you say that, upthread it seemed you were defending the permit process as a good thing, a “bright line”, IIRC. Of course, everyone is allowed to change their mind. And maybe you were just advocating for following the law as written, not sure.

As a recent (2010 ish?) handgun owner I’m still shocked that I didn’t know how restrictive Indiana’s laws were. I feel like as I read through all that there is a lot of compromise and apology for the way Indiana’s laws were compared to others.

You don’t know what you don’t know.
    I just . . . no, telling you the law is not a vote in favor of the license . . . now or 14 years ago. Typical Kirk, being mean by telling people what the legal battlefield looks like.

"GET THE LICENSE. It is the law. "But I don't like your Yankeefied law." Then help us change it. Rex Early back in '96 pledged to abolish the LTCH. We need your help to help elect those who would defend our rights. We've made progress, we need to make more progress."

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I just . . . no, telling you the law is not a vote in favor of the license . . . now or 14 years ago. Typical Kirk, being mean by telling people what the legal battlefield looks like.

"GET THE LICENSE. It is the law. "But I don't like your Yankeefied law." Then help us change it. Rex Early back in '96 pledged to abolish the LTCH. We need your help to help elect those who would defend our rights. We've made progress, we need to make more progress."
    Ok thanks, I probably read your words with some bias from other conversations.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN

This is how Michigan was when I lived there ( 1986 - 2010 ) ... You planned when to purchase - Went to local PD to get Permit ( only valid for 10 days ) - Purchased handgun with Dealer filling in their section on Permit - took Permit AND Handgun back to local PD who verified Model / Serial # and gave you back a Wallet Card ( with a Thumbprint ) you had to Carry on your person whenever you had Handgun in your Possession

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No, but requiring ANY permit to transport a firearm means you couldnt legally transport a handgun after buying it if you didnt have one first. So it doesnt make sense.
    In 2008, there was an exception to the licensed required to transport handguns law that provided for it to be taken from the place of purchase to their dwelling or place of business, and then between dwellings if a person moved as long as it was in a "secure wrapper" and unloaded.

Notice I specified "handguns".

[ETA]

I would add that not knowing how restrictive things used to be, even not that long ago- and yes, even then Indiana was one of the less restrictive states (not good, but better than most others), goes along with the notion that "gun laws are worse now than ever" which was a routine thing to hear, at least before Constitutional Carry. The truth is that in Indiana and a lot of other places, there has been 30 to 40 years of steady progress on firearms freedom, even without good Supreme Court decisions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom