• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not 100% but I rember reading something recently that tankless water heaters qualify for a tax credit currently too!

Unfortunately only if powered by renewables this year, now last year one could…

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    We put in Navien small commercial LP tankless water heater. It was a tad bit expensive but my B-I-L is a plumber that does mostly commercial installations. It is a bit overkill for our house but I will never ever run out of hot water.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thanks for the input everyone, given the power vent tanks seem to be around $1500 I'm certainly leaning toward tankless. Was looking at the big Rinnai (160k - 200k) units but will look into the Navian units too. The existing WH exhaust is 3" PVC I'm hoping it would be enough to support a tankless system as well.

Does everyone keep the water temp around 120 or do you drop it and just go full hot at the endpoints?
    120° for me.
    Unless things have changed your tankless will be double wall 5" plastic, its for air in and air out.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    120° for me.
    Unless things have changed your tankless will be double wall 5" plastic, its for air in and air out.
    The install manuals I've read indicate that direct or indirect venting is acceptable if the room is big enough to supply the combustion air. Our utility room is pretty large.

Anyone have theirs mounted free standing? I know they're designed to go on a wall but the current water/gas/exhaust lines are kind of in the middle of the room. Not sure what the builder was thinking when they laid it all out. I may be building something for it to hang on.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The install manuals I've read indicate that direct or indirect venting is acceptable if the room is big enough to supply the combustion air. Our utility room is pretty large.

Anyone have theirs mounted free standing? I know they're designed to go on a wall but the current water/gas/exhaust lines are kind of in the middle of the room. Not sure what the builder was thinking when they laid it all out. I may be building something for it to hang on.

I used to help a friend out that does water heaters in the winter when installing irrigation would be shut down due to frozen ground.
    I installed maybe a dozen and all were Reinni units. But that was a dozen years ago in Md and DC so im short on todays heater knowledge and Indiana/ County coads here.

Both of mine are on exterior walls, the NG has a foot of vent on top of it and 90's through the wall. The propane models at least then were to be mounted on a outside wall.
    Ive never seen one in use with indirect venting.
    Is it a reasonable distance to run venting across the ceiling or between floor joists with minium (3?) 90's or 45's to get outside?
    Or maybe run water lines and gas to the exterior wall and mount the heater?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I know nothing of these Navian units, whats you opinion of them?
    they are a good unit.... i sell Takagi's they have a 15 year exchanger warranty and 5 years on the rest of the parts.

i have 76 of them i have sold of a variety of sizes and have only had one heater exchange failure going back 12 years

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    they work good they just cycle the heater a lot when there is no demand
    Thanks. Good to hear if I decide to ever get one. I didn't bother with it as our bathrooms, including the master are pretty quick to get hot. Our kitchen sink run is the slowest to get warm and I didnt consider it worthy to warrant it currently, without more info on it. I kind of figured the same thing, just more cycles on the heater that would cut into my energy savings and life of the heater, that I may not need.

I was also interested in the Navi Link, but the app got pretty bad reviews, and figured that would just drive me nuts if the app wasn't good.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Thanks. Good to hear if I decide to ever get one. I didn't bother with it as our bathrooms, including the master are pretty quick to get hot. Our kitchen sink run is the slowest to get warm and I didnt consider it worthy to warrant it currently, without more info on it. I kind of figured the same thing, just more cycles on the heater that would cut into my energy savings and life of the heater, that I may not need.

I was also interested in the Navi Link, but the app got pretty bad reviews, and figured that would just drive me nuts if the app wasn't good.
    Navien reduces the warranty, half IIRC, if you have a circulation pump, I suspect they all would due the increases run time. Some Navien models are both residential and commercial, however if you select commercial mode the warranty is cut in half.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Navien reduces the warranty, half IIRC, if you have a circulation pump, I suspect they all would due the increases run time. Some Navien models are both residential and commercial, however if you select commercial mode the warranty is cut in half.
    Yep, saw that if you have an external recirc set to cycle continously. If it's "controlled" it doesn't.

"2Controlled-Recirculation: Recirculation the water heater is controlled by either the water heater or an external aquastat.

3Uncontrolled-Recirculation: External pumps configured to circulate continuously through the water heater are subject to the uncontrolled recirculation warranty terms. An aquastat is the minimum pump control requirement for DHW or storage tank recirculation in order to maintain the full controlled warranty."

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Update, went with the Navien NPE-240S2. Considered the A2 version with recirc but decided we didn't need it. Observations:
    • It has plenty of heating capacity for our cold ground water. I did a stress test with 3 tubs and 3 faucets on full hot, target temp set to 140. Incoming water was 51 degrees and while it was at 100% heating capacity it was still pushing out ~4.5 gpm of 140 degree water. When I set it back to 130 it was only reporting 81% heating capacity flow was the same. I think that's the limit of our 3/4 pex lines and water pressure.
    • Time to hot water from full standby with a cold heat exchanger probably adds 10 - 20 seconds when compared to the tank. Larger flows like showers and tubs are on the lower end of that scale while sinks are on the higher end.
    • After the HE is warmed up it goes into a lesser standby and will provide hot water just as quickly as the tank. Probably 30-60 minutes before the HE cools down completely.
    • It's nearly silent even at full heat capacity
    • No noticeable temperature change for a shower when another shower/dishwasher/clothes washer is started or stopped
    • So much less space taken up
    • Nearly the same or less expensive than a power vent 50 gallon tank

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    No experience, but my gas WH is 27 years old with zero attempts to do any maintenance on it. Just a cheap 40 gallon Menards purchase in 96.

Top Bottom