• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Anyone recommendations on exterior doors? Some of the ones I’ve looked at seem so flimsy I wonder if they could just be kicked through even with the jamb reinforced.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, that was the assumption. Any recommendations in particular? The one thing I hate about Menard's is their website doesn't seem to have reviews, and the doors I like at Lowe's have awful reviews.
    I wonder if you could find some third party reviews, something like Consumer Reports (are they even still around)? I'm thinking like a website that would aggregate reviews of several different door manufacturers or something.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Call Builders FirstSource aka ProBuild aka Carter Lee Lumber. The exterior doors we sold when I worked there were metal with concrete poured inside. Or, some of them were.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think this one is awesome but the boss disagrees. :):

I think you need double hung doors. With big knockers. ;)

iu

iu

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Residential steel doors are about worthless. Three kicks to the middle and they bend enough to pop a 2" deadbolt out of the door frame. I know because there were 3 boot prints on my front door when the dolts broke in. A steel plate reinforcement across the center of the door might solve the problem, but looks terrible. A commercial door may be better.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Ah...Sorry. I thought this was a thread about The Doors.

Trip wires and shotguns can work wonders, but tend to be frowned upon in modern society where criminals are given quarter and sympathy.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Get some of these:
    Ea55D5B.png

Use a steel or steel reinforced frame and a deadbolt that can't be picked by simply raking.
    As long as you can't kick a hole in the door, it's going to be good enough after this. They'll just move onto a window.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We used a combination of heavy fiberglass/foam and steel doors. I sure somebody with tools and or motivation could break it down, but they would wake us up in the process and buy some time to get ready.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ah...Sorry. I thought this was a thread about The Doors.

Trip wires and shotguns can work wonders, but tend to be frowned upon in modern society where criminals are given quarter and sympathy.
    Exactly my sympathies on the matter. But then I'd end up killing the ex when she stopped by to visit her cats. Or worse yet, just wound her...

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I put regular old steel doors with foam fill in the new place. I also installed Door Devil anti kick devices on them. I do not believe all the hype about nobody being able to kick the door in, but it will slow them down a bit (I hope).

Security sensors on all the windows and doors gives a little more peace of mind. The carbine in the corner does a little as well.

That reminds me I need to build the cross bar for the door in my mechanical room. We have designated that as the safe room in case of emergency.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Anyone recommendations on exterior doors? Some of the ones I’ve looked at seem so flimsy I wonder if they could just be kicked through even with the jamb reinforced.
    Just dropping in to see what your door had to say this morning. :):

Top Bottom